iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coleman fuel

Started by LeeB, February 24, 2009, 10:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I just dug out the old coleman camp stove and cleaned out the rat's nests and mud dobber nests. Had some old fuel , about 5 or 6 years old. Fired it up and DanG if it didn't work. I got to thinnking about the fuel and remembered somethng about it being called white gas a long time ago. Did a search on the forum and the only thing I found was about using unleaded in lamps wasn't the best idea going due to it messing up the generator due to impurities. Does this hold true for the camp stoves as well?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Radar67

I've heard some people say they used unleaded in their Coleman stove, but personally, I wouldn't. The Coleman fuel is too easy to get, and from your comment, will last stored for a while. I used my stove recently, it still had fuel from 05 in it and fired right off.

Everything I have read about using unleaded in stoves say it will clog the orifices rather quickly.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LeeB

Kinda what I was thinking. I just dug the stove out because of what Lindy went through during the recent ice storm. It was my dad's old stove. I don't think it has been used in 20 years or more and I can remember him buying it when I was a boy. The thing has to be thirty five years old or more. My only thought on the unleaded gas was in an emergency situation.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Radar67

I thought about the gas for emergencies right after I posted. I bought my stove in 92 or 93. It saw a good bit of use the first couple of years, then got put away in the shed. I used it during the aftermath of Katrina (it fed a family of 4 for 17 days), and more recently during a brief power outage due to snow. I had to have my coffee.  :D :D

A spare o-ring and pump kit is a good thing to have on hand for emergiencies. I've not had to rebuild my pump, but there is always that chance. ;)

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

LeeB

Where is the O-ring located? All I found on it when I disassembled was a leather washer like on the old wind mill pump foot rods.

Radar67

Mine has an o-ring under the pump "handle", just below the screw cap. It helps to seal the pump shaft when you finish pumping it up. Yours may not have it.

LeeB

Nope, no O-ring there. It just has a needle valve kinda like a carburatur that unscrews when you pump it up and then screw it back shut when done. Musta been designed in the days before engineers and O-rings screwed everything up. (oilfield joke)

Tom

When I was younger, the choice was American (AMOCO) white gas or the coleman fuel.  There was a big difference in the cost back then. We used the white gas for our stoves and coleman lanterns both.  Never had any problems that would be associated with it.  There was a note recommending Coleman Fuel, but that came from Coleman.  I guess I'd have done that too if I was selling coleman fuel.  :D   I think That American white gas was different than the general run-of-the-mill unleaded today.  But, I'm not a gas expert. :-\

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,1898.msg23201/topicseen.html#msg23201

DanG

I've run regular unleaded gas in Coleman stoves for years with no problems.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

LeeB,

Put a drop or two of light oil on that leather washer and it will pump like it was new again.

;)
Haytrader

IMERC

my experience has been that coleman fuel dies of old age...
new is easy to get...

you can use unleaded in a camp stove if it is rated for it...
in a pinch use a 2 micron filter that has no plastic in it and filter the unleaded....

dissasemble the components as best ya can and use carb cleaner on them...

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Fla._Deadheader

You can also use Methanol or that tainted Ethanol ???. Brain ain't working today ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

LeeB

IMERC, I did put a little oil on the leather, just like it says to do on the end cap. Imagine that, I actually followed the instructions.  :D  I didn't clean anything with carb cleaner though, just blew everything out with compressed air.

I think the coleman fuel is cheaper than th denatured alcohol Harold, but in an emergency it would work. I always have a gallon or two of it around for finishing with shellac.

IMERC

unless the stove is rated for denatured yur in for a crude experience....

please don't ask how I know....

Paul_H

Quote from: DanG on November 25, 2002, 07:59:27 PM

I'll try to get around to a funny story about Coleman fuel, soon as I get a round tuit. ;D

Hey DanG,

I've been patiently waiting 6 years. :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

IMERC

DanG

Mr. Hootie has  a big ol' jar full of them on his desk.  When I get a chance, I'll run up there and get one. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Imerc, I'm a little curious as to why you'd have to filter the gas.  The orifice in a stove is bigger than those in most carburetors.  I would think that allowing old gas to sit in the tank and generator would be a more important concern.

IMERC

Dan....
suspect it's for the same reasons yur car is filtered...
ever noticed the lawn mower runs better filtered and gives less problems than without one...

I think the stove runs cleaner...

DanG

I guess different folks just use different levels of care.  My old lawnmower was still running good when the deck and starter gave it up at the same time.  It didn't have a filter.  I took good care of it though.  I even changed the oil once in the 11 years I had it.  I'll look and see if the new one has a filter. ;)

Corley5

I remember Grandpa buying white gas for the Coleman lanterns.  Most of the old gas stations had pumps out back or off to the side for kerosene and white gas.  Never used a Coleman stove or a lantern for that matter.  We've got lanterns and a stove but I wasn't old enough to operate them when they were last used.  Anyway I had a professor that drove a VW bus the length of S America and for cooking they used a Coleman stove.  They opened up the orifice to use it with gasoline since white gas wasn't available in S. America  ;D  That was his story  ;D :)  He had pics of the trip and the VW  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

I would have thought that MOST folks DID filter their fuel before putting it in a lantern  ::) ::)

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

IMERC

Quote from: DanG on February 25, 2009, 01:23:44 PM
I guess different folks just use different levels of care. 

let's see....
cica '85-86 or so was the lawnmower's last oil change......

that was the last time I mowed too...

to this day I haven't gotten around to mowing....
neither has anyone else...

DanG

:D :D :D  Where do you live, Colorado or somewhere?  Do you have any idea what this place would look like if it hadn't been mowed in 20 years? :o :D :D  One year would require a bushhog to clean it up, and two years would take a dozer.

FDH, I used to have one of them little filtering funnels that Coleman sells, but I haven't seen it in years.  Don't use lanterns anymore since I got rechargable flashlights, and my stove rusted out and went away several years ago.  I've never had trouble with pouring trash into the tanks, just stuff that collects over time(rust?) in the tank.  You'd have to filter the output rather than the input to avoid that.

IMERC

extreme high altitude... 11,400'...

the grass is sparse (thin) and maybe a foot tall....
when I did cut it was more of a topping than anything else

Thank You Sponsors!