iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black locust

Started by Blue Sky, February 24, 2009, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

thanks for the info i bought a new box of blades from woodmizer but i dont know what kind they are i will have to look  kinda looks to show what i know about sawing when i ::) ::) dont know what kind of blades i am using  :) :)

tyb525

When they're still green the regular 9 degree blade should do fine, at least it did for me, and I only have 10 horses  :D.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

wconklin

Quote from: Enchanted Forester on February 25, 2009, 07:02:34 AM
D S, same in our area.  Building inspector's around here are just getting updated info on locust as an a much more durable and stronger alternative than pt. 

Black locust, along with Eastern Red Cedar are in the massachusetts state building code book as alternatives to PT

Dave Shepard

Hello wconklin! Will I be at your house raising tomorrow, or is that a different wconklin? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dutchman

I've got a customer that uses black locust for Adorondeck chairs.
Buys mostly clear 1"x6"x 5',help get rid of shorts.

climbncut

Look for conks on locust! If they are present, you can almost guarantee there will be internal decay.
Tree Topping: "The most costly, money-wasting, tree mistreatment in the world"- Shigo

Ironwood

I love locust. It is said " would be the most valueable N.A. timber if not for the bark borer voids and scars".

Shows you what some are taught, "invasive", yeah right. How about indiginous.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

They have planted some around towns up here. It may seed in vacant lots adjacent to it. But, on old home sites I find grown in with native local woods, the black locust is confined to where it was planted. If over grown with spruce and maple forest it's had it. Often time old farms will grow up in white spruce around here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

Quote from: Ironwood on November 20, 2009, 07:55:24 PM
I love locust. It is said " would be the most valuable N.A. timber if not for the bark borer voids and scars".

Shows you what some are taught, "invasive", yeah right. How about indigenous.

Ironwood

If black locust is an invasive species, then I would like it to invade my entire property.  I have had a dozen or so BL's seed themselves on disturbed hillsides around the house since it was built.  I take great care in making sure I don't damage them, and I have already pruned a couple for clean upright growth.  One is in a perfect location to thrive, a southern hillside open to the sun, and the tree is three years old and already 15 feet tall.  By the time I'm 60, I might have some fence posts.   :D

stonebroke

If you wait until you are 60 you will have pole barn poles.

Stonebroke

Ironwood

I have patch here doing the same w/.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Den Socling

A few years ago, they were repairing the James Madison mansion and I was asked to dry the window sills. After 22 days, which is a long time in a vacuum kiln, I decided that they were as dry as the original sills. Not dry at all.  :( But this is to be expected. The wood is good outside because it is impenetrable. It won't dry for the same reason. A 6" x 6" square is mighty heavy and it stays that way.

stonebroke

Naw, locust dries ,it just takes ten or twenty years, which considering the life of the posts isn't much.

Stonebroke

Magicman

It's so "shallow rooted" that it will never stand up 60 years.....at least not in our soil.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Engineer

There's a lot of BIG black locusts around here.  Some have been there a lot more than 60 years, I'll bet.  Got a few that are 30" + dbh, usually roadside trees.  My own clump of BL's are over 40 years old.  I have a clay and silt loam over bedrock and they are definitely NOT shallow rooted here.

Magicman

I'm constantly having to cut and remove them from my woods roads.  After a wind, I can count on several being down.  When we had cattle, and after a storm, the first job was to check and fix fences.  Any BL tree that we saw leaning, we would go ahead and cut.  A 12-16 inch BL is big here.  They usually blow over by then.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I've seen the same thing happen with aspen on some sites. They got to around 10 inches and a whole bunch were being uprooted. Tops looked good on them and no cankers, but they wouldn't stand. They weren't old or suppressed and no where near their potential diameter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Ours have no taproot.  Just surface/feeder roots that are barely below the ground.

JimMartin9999

Bows, both as laminates and as self-bows, are made from black locust.
Jim

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 24, 2009, 07:37:27 PM
We're wondering if we can get away with using it for sill plates in houses. I'd rather have that than PT, but I doubt you would find a building inspector that would cooperate. :( We have used timberlok screws with great success, and the air nailer seems to work ok too.

The building inspector in the town where my sawmill is said he would rather see me use black locust than pt pine for my timbers for a pole barn
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Real tough to saw with my mill but it make great lettuce boxes.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I made large garden boxes with black locust.  The seasoned logs I needed to pre drill the nail holes to keep from splitting.  I didn't have any trouble milling it, Kbeitz.  What was the trouble you had?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Den Socling

I don't know where he got them but I recently dried some 4.5" Black Locust squares. The guy said they were BL and they were yellow so I guess they were.

Den Socling

Here's a couple locust cookies I just took out of a kiln. I don't know what that black layer through the center was but one followed it to crack in half.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on March 25, 2017, 10:27:54 AM
I made large garden boxes with black locust.  The seasoned logs I needed to pre drill the nail holes to keep from splitting.  I didn't have any trouble milling it, Kbeitz.  What was the trouble you had?

I had more waves from that wood than any other that I ever cut.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!