iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

water in the tree

Started by missourilogger, February 23, 2009, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missourilogger

I was cutting a dead honey locust today and when i was finishing notching it my saw started throwing wet wood chips with water shooting out. When i got it on the ground i looked at it and water was coming out of the stump where i pulled alittle wood. Has t his ever happend to you  ???
i Was here

and here

Jeff

Hundreds Dozens of times on the sawmill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

Every spring, whats good is the next morning when things are still frozen the icicles on the stumps are just like candy 8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Sprucegum

8) it must be almost spring where you are. That would be the sap arising again.

chevytaHOE5674

Once had a cottonwood gush so much water out that my legs were soaked and it was like a small flood coming out of the tree.

ErikC

Ever hear of white fir on the west coast? It's famous for that. Nickname -"pis*fir"
I have had gallons and gallons spray all over everything lots of times. Everyone in town can smell it on you when you come in.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

missourilogger

I'm in mid Missouri and it aint spring yet, but we had some warm days last week. It didnt look like sap BUT i dont know. It looked alot like just plain old water but it could of been sap. thanks
Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 23, 2009, 09:53:08 PM
Once had a cottonwood gush so much water out that my legs were soaked and it was like a small flood coming out of the tree.
thats how it was my legs were SOAKED!!  :D :D Can you imagine riding a four wheeler 2-3 miles back to the house in 10 degree weather with wet pants and no long johns :D :D it wasnt to warm i'll put it that away
Quote from: ErikC on February 23, 2009, 09:57:37 PM
 Ever hear of white fir on the west coast? It's famous for that. Nickname -"pis*fir"
Everyone in town can smell it on you when you come in.
no i didnt no that was their nick name, This smelled like wet dog
i Was here

and here

thecfarm

Had it happen just once to me.Cutting an old beech tree.Most are about 80 years old and rotted hearted on my land.Water poured out for a minute.Kinda scared me at first,I had no idea what was going on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ErikC

With that water it can be way up in a tree and build some pretty good pressure to spray you with. I think in the white fir wind shake is often the cause, fills with water until you cut in. Not saying this to offend anyone but around the PNW Forest Service personell have the same nickname as the tree. ::)  Not sure why.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

rebocardo

I never had it come from the stump, just from the top of the tree.  Usually causes concern for me because it means the tree is more hollow then I think and could come apart on the way down.

One reason I carry a spare set of clothes in the SUV.

ID4ster

Oh yeah. Rotten Grand fir and subalpine fir will do that on a regular basis. We call it p**s fir for a reason. When it starts spurting or leaking out you want to stand clear because you'll get soaked and smelly in a heartbeat. The real kicker is what happened to L-P several years ago. They had a panel plant up in north Idaho that used subalpine fir chips. Those panels were installed in a building in San Francisco and after the building was completed the noxious odor of stale urine permeated the building. The subsequent investigation found that when the subalpine fir chips are in a panel that is installed in a humid environment they'll begin to smell really bad. It cost L-P several million dollars to fix that mistake and they issued an order that they would no longer accept sub-alp fir at the Chilco plant. 
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

woodtroll

It would not be sap rising in a dead tree. And it would not be like candy
We called it stump water, smells bad, usually had it around wet areas. Gums, cottonwoods are real bad, sycamore, even pin oaks or water oaks.
There also was a drink in school called sump water. It was bad in a different way.

Clark

As mentioned, members of the Populus genus can be particularly bad.  I know one logger who claims that the sap has come out of a balsam poplar so bad that it killed his chainsaw! 

I've got a hunch that pasbuild is talking about cutting sugar maple and eating the icicles...

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

thompsontimber

Years ago I was working as a loader operator on a logging job and we were cutting some bottomland hardwood.  At lunch time the feller came out of the woods and was drenched, chaps soaked through.  He told us about the sycamore he had just cut down and how he was spraying out water rather than sawdust.  At that time we were selling pallet and crosstie material to a local mill that would send out their own truck to pick up a load when we got it ready.  Late that afternoon the sycamore makes it to the landing. The driver from the mill had arrived and was waiting on me to clear the landing so he could back in to get loaded.  It was too large to handle with the loader so I got off and started bucking out the logs.  Sure enough, nothing but water visible spraying from the tree, drenching me as I cut it up.  I got back on the loader and moved the logs and the water kept pouring from the ends like a flowing stream.  Now this is where the incident really became a memorable one for me.  Rather than getting in his truck to back in, the driver makes his way over to where I have placed those sycamore logs squirting water.  He has a cup in his hand and places it against the end of one log, filling his cup with water.  He then commences to drinking the water.   Now this water isn't pure natural spring water, it is a dark, mucky mess that doesn't smell all that pleasant either.  I am astonished as I watch this old man drinking from the sycamore, so I climb back down and ask him why on earth he is doing such a thing.  He then tells me that I should have some too.  He said that sycamore "juice" would give you immunity to any poison ivy/oak, and that after drinking that water he could handle all the poison ivy he wanted without fear of a rash, could even eat it if he wanted to.  I looked at the gunk that continued to pump out of that sycamore, and told him I reckoned I'd have to take my chances with the poison ivy, and that if he could drink that "juice" I suppose he shouldn't have any trouble eating the poison ivy, I did at least believe that much.  ;D

LeeB

Add walnut to the list. Got acouple gallons down my legs just a few days ago.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Winter cut sugar maple and yellow birch will bleed sugary sap in the spring. The flies flock to it like it's honey as well as the fungus on the wind. Yellow birch sap smells like a candy factory, just take up a thinning job in a yellow birch stand in May-June. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

> so bad that it killed his chainsaw!

I can see that. I was doing an undercut on a log (water oak! :-D  ) to buck it into firewood when all of a sudden I thought I broke my oil tank. I could see all that water pouring sudden on a muffler or hot cyl. head cracking it.

The nice part was, I have some very pretty spalted type firewood, I did manage to save a few rounds, pictured.

Thank You Sponsors!