iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber storage building

Started by Gary_B, February 22, 2009, 10:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_B

I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion on a lumber storage shed. I have just a manuel mill and a solar kiln. The lumber I mill is used for home projects, I am running out of space in my shop/garage. Id like to build a shed, but as far as stacking is where the problem comes in. When its time to start a project and you are sorting thru a stack of lumber trying to match color and grain patterns you end up with quite a chore. Ive thought about stacking upright, so it wouldnt be a chore just going thru the boards. Id like to hear some other ideas, before I start construction. Another issue is lengths, you know when you find that nice walnut crotch thats 6 ft long and you have all these boards that are 8,10,12 ft mixed in it.
    Gary

tyb525

Once they are dried you should be able to store them upright. Makes them easier to sort through anyways. I'll see if I can find some vertical rack plans.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

I prefer vertical stacking of dried boards, makes things a LOT easier.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Your storage shed should have bays that are no more than 2 feet high by 5 feet wide.  The more bays the better.  That way you can sort and compartmentalize your lumber.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

I've been wrestling with this problem for years.  How do you organize different lengths, thicknesses, and widths, with a dozen species to deal with?  And that doesn't even take into account the stuff you sawed yesterday, vs the stuff from 3 months ago. ::)  I've concluded that about ten acres under cover oughta do the trick. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

If you aren't trying to build a new wooden city, I'd suggest the cheap steel carport kits...5-600 bucks gets quite a bit of storage...

The horror fright gargae tents atrent too bad...I have one 8x20..cost 169 bucks..been up almost 2
years and is in good shape except one corner where I hit it with a tractor.. :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Gary_B

I appreciate the input, different times Im out in my shop thinking to myself how much more organized space I would have if that lumber pile wasnt there,,,,,room for another toy. I definely want to go with vertical stacking, for everything 10ft or shorter.

Ironwood

Look into "confinement" tarps to minimize "blow in" of rain and fog. Capillaries fill w/ moisture in wet times (making a full on curtain) while drying out afterward and allowing some air movement.  ;) You can make them roll up OR slide to side, look at Tek Supply's catalog for hardware.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!