iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New here. Woodmizer LT 10 or LT 15.

Started by DJL50, February 22, 2009, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJL50

Hello!

First post here.  :)

I have been reading here with great interest. Thanks for all your info you give.

My brother and I is interested in buying a sawmill. This will just be a hobby at first but would like to make some money on the side. with a possible small business down the road.  I am a woodworker so I like the thought of getting to work with non standard woods. My brother works with a guy who does firewood on the side and has access to smaller log. 6 foot or less.
Our first thought was to get a middle of the road Woodmizer but am concerned this will not turn into the extra income we would hope for. Just a hobby tool. That is a lot of money to wrap up in something that will not get used much. So now we have turned our focus to the LT10 or LT 15. WE could use it and if successful upgrade. Mills seem to hold there value.

So I guess questions I have are...

1) will we be disappointed with a LT 10. Our exceptions are not high of a mill. Just ant something that will be usable.
     I was set on a LT15 but was reading of a 19 yo member that get a LT10 and seems to have good luck with it. I will     keep reading with interest.

2) Is there a time of year that Woodmizer runs a big sale or a "best time to buy". We are in no hurry for this mill.

3) we are only 2hrs or so from Woodmizer. Do they have demos at the home office at times?

Kevin

I wouldn't buy anything smaller than an LT-15 with the largest engine.
Too bad they discontinued the trailer package for them.

submarinesailor

I completely concur with Kevin.  I have an LT 15 and have taken several very close looks at the LT10.  I don't like the LT10.  It's a WoodMizer so it well built, but it's not an LT 15.  If I had to do it again, I would get the biggest motor on the 15 I could.  Diesel if you can get it.

Bruce

fishpharmer

I have no answer.  Just a comment.....bigger is better ;D

Welcome aboard DLJ50!  This is a great place with great folks.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

davemartin88

Welcome to the forum. I have an LT15 with the 15hp engine (purchased in 2005) and it's done all I've asked. I have cut a lot of wood for myself and used it the last 6 months to cut for others, logs brought to me. If you have the money, would get the larger engine but the 15hp has worked fine, just slow down a bit in the larger logs and use sharp blades. My only experience with the LT10 was making a cut at Woodmizer, the LT15 just has a more solid feel, hard to describe but after making a cut with each mill, I went with the LT15. Feel free to ask me questions but if you want a manual mill and you're a hobby or low production sawyer, I think you'll be happier with the LT15! I second the comment about the lack of a trailer package, that would have been great. I have only moved mine a few times, not very hard with a full size pickup but does take two people. I would think that if you visit your closest Woodmizer location, they should be able to have both an LT10 and an LT15 for you to try out. Here in northern VA, there are quite a few shows where Woodmizer has at least one mill set up throughout the year. Good luck.

Don K

My LT 15 has been a workhorse for me. I have sawn close to 20,000bdft for other people as well as what I've cut for myself.

Looks like Ty is getting a good start with his LT 10 too.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

TinMan

Get the most mill you can afford ;D You will be glad you did.  :)

Welcome to the Forum

Tracy

zopi

I have a 15...wish I had a bigger motor..get the 25 if you go with the 15..but if you are that close to WM...they often sell used/refurbished mills at a pretty good savings..

Believe me after awhile, you will want hydraulics.

But the LT-15 has served me well.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

I have been thinking of upgrading my LT15 with the 15 Hp to a 25 Hp.  I think that you will be well served by the bigger engine in really big logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

I've watched those little mills work at the shows a lot of times.  My thought is, if you can afford the LT-15, you won't be happy with the LT-10.  If you can only afford the LT-10, you'll be tickled to death with it.  The 15 will cut a little bit bigger and a whole lot faster, but they'll both make some really nice lumber. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

Come to think of it..if I can't afford a bigger mill in the near future, I may look at a bigger engine...

I'd love to have a white tank Honda 24hp..or a Kohler Twin...

There is a pretty good deal on either sawmill exchange or the WM store site on an older LT-40 H
with the Lombardini...sure do wish I wasn't broke... :D

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

dMizer

You can head over here to Wood-Mizer in Indianapolis and we'll be happy to give you a demo of the LT10 and LT15. We're here 8-5 Mon-Fri and 8-12 on Sat.

Darryl

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DJL50

Thanks Dmizer. I think we just may take you up on the visit sometime this spring.

Thank You Sponsors!