iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

american loggers

Started by a old timberjack, February 21, 2009, 09:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a old timberjack

i assume everyone seen or already taalked about this new show this fri 10 pm eastern time. on disc. " american loggers " about northern maine on the golden road. it is finially great to see some east coast new england logging, espicially  on tv. any mainers got any scoop???
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Don K

Don't have anything to add, but I'll be watching. My Grandaddy was a logger so I guess it is in my blood even if I make my living doing something else less satisfying. ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

I will like to see it too.I wonder if it will be all planted pine pine that will be cut?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maineloggerkid

I don't think it is planted pine. I also think that at the beginning, they were going to focus more on the trucking, but then decided to go to logging. So the first episodes might be more on the trucks, then logging.  I could be all wrong, I'm just passing second hand info along, here.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SwampDonkey

If it's pine, I wonder how long ago it's been planted. The earliest planting on any scale here in New Brunswick was K. C. Irving back in the 50's. It was spruce and the wood in those plantations are still small diameter and not all that tall. Definitely no 20" and 80+ foot trees yet, mostly what I would call pulp size. As far as pine (jack, red, white) I have never seen anything in plantations that would be anything to brag about yet. I saw a piece of white pine on Dr. R. Giberson's lot in NB that he planted 40 years ago, the weevil has ruined it. He practiced medicine in Presque Isle Maine and lives in Arizona. He's over 90 years old now I think. Locally known as "Doc" in our woodlot association.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Maineloggerkid

I've seen some pictures of the deal already, and what I saw on the truck was tree lenght spruce and fir.

TessiersFarm

I was doing some construction work on the golden road when they were filming it last year.  It was focusing on Pelletier brothers which is one of the oldest continuous contractors on the golden road.  At that time they were hauling different wood in both directions because a new spur had been added to a Canadian mill.  I am not sure just where they were filming the logging part but I know they were running a lot of tandem wide bodies up and down the telos road, they had cameras on the grills, bunks, ect.  I wish I had cable so I could watch it.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

chainspinrunner

It's about time they have a documentary on some timber workers from different parts of the nation. No offense to the western workers, but it is nice to see some other operations to compare and contrast.
Grose

linrick1

I ran the Golden Road for a few years back in the ealy '90s, driving for a guy out of Millinocket. While I was up there Pelletier, Gardner, and H.O. Bouchard were the big outfits, I ran a highway truck all over the place out of those woods and let me tell you those boys can go, and go hard, for a long, long time without ever seeming to sleep...especially before spring breakup-I remember (vaguely) flying down the road with 100K on for the mill so tired I would be seeing double (log book? right). I know a few of the Pelletiers, they're a good bunch of guys and they run real nice equipment. They had some beautiful Mack 10 wheel drive, RD888s maybe, pulling their doubles, turned up E9 V-8s, just real nice iron. What has screwed me up about the commercial for the show is the axle spacing on the highway trailer. We ran a triaxle setup so I am curious about this - maybe a Canadien weight thing? Looking forward to seeing the show, Rick

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its a Weight thing Linrick Mate We Aust  ;) have only had tri's here since the 70s but before that theyd tryed bogie sperads, tri spreads and Quads but it wasnt untill the 80s we started seeing Bogie tri tri Bdoubles  ;) and we also have alot of rigids with folding quad dogs running around now at about 50 odd ton gross  ;)
and heres one new one for you blokes to have a squizz at go to youtube and type in Elpinstone B tripple  ;) about 90 ton gross and will be leagl on most major routes in Vic within a year or so  ;) Elphinstone also build the first folding skell  ;)A Freind of the family had the first in victoria in 88 they are a pretty neat settup if your doing logs mostly one way and they also give you alot more traction and monerverability out the bush  ;) ;D 8)

I wish we had shows on logging here but the only time you will see anything about it is usually a flash on the news with some bloody greeny hangn off the bullbar of a log truck ,holding up logging by chaining themselfs to gear  ;) :D :D :D :D

I might have to get myself a coppy of afew of your shows you have overthere on dvd if i can  ;) ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Maineloggerkid

If anyone chained themselves to my stuff, I'd think about carrying bolt cutters aand mace with me. I guess your not actually supposed to hurt them....something about violating rights. :D

timberfaller390

Why use the bolt cutters? Just take off with them still strapped in, they'll get the idea eventually  ;D
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

That works just as well, I suppose.

ScottAR

Just tie up the danglely bits and give 'em a ride they won't forget.

I've actually heard a few stories like this...  The one that comes to
mind is a greenie tied themselves to the bucket of a wheel loader.

The workmen show up at work time and raised the bucket to full height....
...and went about their day.   Greenie eventually gave up and asked to be
let down. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Meadows Miller

Gday

:D :D :D :D ;) Those ideas would work well  ;) but the police are out the to keep an eye on things these days  ;) :( ::) But you still hear of the odd group getting a good hiding   smiley_argue01  smiley_fused_bomb bat_smailey Violin_smiley   ;) :D :D ;D 8) ;)

The funniest id heard of was a log truck driver who use to cart logs from Sale in east gippsland to the family mill at Heathcote  a round trip of 450 odd miles  ;) that had a couple of them jump (one with a gitar over his sholder ) on the bull bar while he was trying to leave the landing while a tv crew was there He was that piffed off that he once  he got passed the tv crew that he gunned it for about another 5 miles up the track with these two Idiots (all you could hear was a Kw with a 8v92 tta at full flight ) hanging of the front of the truck Breaking arials and lights and things off there mounts :o >:(
When the tv crew finaly cought up they found the two greenes looking Alittle worse for wear  ;) :D sitting on the side of the road saying we wernt expecting that reaction  :o :o :) :)the one with the gitar was found wearing it over his head  Violin_smiley  ;) :D :D :D :D 8) 8)
They all called him Bruser on the Road after that  ;) :D :D The two idiots tryed to take him to court but the judge threw it out Because they had clearly Provoced Him  ;) :D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

timberfaller390

well did anybody catch the first episode last night? Maineloggerkid was right about them showing mostly trucking. If all those rigs really rolled in a week then they are having some hard luck. Down here if you roll one and it is not a mechanical failure then your ass is gone.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

SwampDonkey

Might have something to do with going too fast on snow and ice covered roads. I never saw the show, but even the Renous highway here, which is a paved highway and about 100 miles long, is completely ice from October to May. Because even the snow turns to ice with the heavy trucks pounding over the road. There is nothing but woods all that length and no services of any kind, so anyone going by car is taking their chances.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

inspectorwoody

I thought it was pretty good.

They did focus on the trucks and it even looks like next week they might also. Looks like one of the drivers get hurt seriously.

One of the roll overs was driver error and it was the second time the driver has rolled one. They kept him.

The other roll over was caused by something breaking on the truck.

They go and go hard as linrick1 said. One of the drivers mentioned something about only 3 hrs of sleep.  :o

Maineloggerkid

Ya, the average speed on those dirt roads is 65 mph. I've driven trucks on that road before, and it was fun, though. I think as the show progresses, they will start more into the logging. The show was originally going to be only about trucking, then the decided they liked the logging part, too. Next week, I think they are going to show them hauling double trailers. A while back, they used to hual doubles and even triples on a regular basis.

Maineloggerkid

The way we can get away with so many hours up here is that on dirt roads, laws don't apply. when you are off the highway, a guy can go as long as he can stay awake. Even on the highways, we can go as long as we can stand, because if you operate within 100 air miles of home base, you can waive your log book in the state of Maine. You are allowed 12 hours a day on the road, but with no log book- who's gonna prove otherwise??

chevytaHOE5674

Meh, it was over dramatized, like all the other shows. They hype everything up and make it sound like as soon as you wake up in the morning you could die. Everything is a life and death endeavor, nothing is just a job its a risk to your life.

They roll log trucks like I chew gum. They rolled more over in 1 episode than most roll in a years of hauling.

And I call BS on running on an average of 3 hours of sleep.

bull

I watched it, pretty good, will keep watching it... Hope they show more positive activities in our buisness, we don't need anymore bad press !!  The TV people like to sensationalize everything...
The golden road sure can be a beautiful ride if you have the oppurtunity, Beware if your driving there that you should have a CB and keep your ears on. Those huge trucks have the right of way and do not have to yeild, you must get your A$$ off their road, there is a mile marker system and driver will shout out when they are at such and such a mile marker, especially in bad sections to give the 4 wheelers a head up !!! The Golden road is privately owned and is posted travel at your own risk, your life is in your hands !! SAFE TRIP !!!

timberfaller390

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 28, 2009, 11:14:57 AM
And I call BS on running on an average of 3 hours of sleep.
I'll second that, cause if he is he's strung out on some good road dope
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Thats no BS, I know guys that can run 20hours for weeks. They take a break after a couple weeks, but then they go for it again.

SwampDonkey

I know some truckers working for Irving that tried that for a short while and had to quit. Never made any money and the doctor said they were working toward an early grave. Serious.

Thank You Sponsors!