iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Da-do blades

Started by D._Frederick, February 21, 2009, 08:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

When I bought my PM 66 in 1974 the carbite tipped blades cost to much for us poor folks. I bought a set of steel da-do blades form sears for under $50, about 2-3 years later again sears had a set of carbite da-do blades on sale for under $100. Alot of design changes have been made to the da do set now sold.

What do you guys buy without getting robbed that leave a flat bottom and do not spinter plywood?

tyb525

If you don't need to cut a lot of dadoes, you could get a rip blade with flat top teeth, or an ATB blade with a raker. You then make your to outside cuts, and then move your fence slightly, and make a cut. Do this until the dado is cleared out. It can be slow, but gets the job done without an expensive dado set.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jdtuttle

Freud makes a nice dado set for a reasonable price. Not carbide but they work well. You can have them sharpened.
Have a great day

metalspinner

I've got a Freud Super Dado carbide 6" set, but your cabinet saw can handle the 8" set.  I believe it was around $175. However, the 8" will be a bit more.  It has proven to be a very good quality set.  The key to getting very little tearout is a zero clearance insert to support the fibre pull during the cut.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

I have a Freud 8" dado set that cost $100.  Does a good job.  You can make an insert out of plywood and raise the blade up through the insert for a custom fit. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I have two sets ...  ::)   The 8" carbide Freud  and the other I aint sure what make , will check that tomorow .. its a wable dado .. Ya turn the thing and it opens up on one side . I got that one as a gift. I'll take a pic of it at the same time .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

D._Frederick

Some Da-do blades have only 12 teeth, other have up to 40. Which one would you recommend, if the price per tooth was the same?

WDH

More teeth makes for a smoother cut.  It also makes for a slower cut.  If you aren't cutting dado's all day long, I would opt for the smoother cut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

If you can go to a school auction or the like, many times you can buy stacks of carbide blades. I just put "machine washers" (the precise ones) in between and make my own stacked head. I have other factory stacks, but this is by far my favorite.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don_Papenburg

I always liked the stacked sawblade dado head the best.  I had a wable head dado once and only used it once . That was a pile of crap. I also have a set or two of the regular dado with the stacking rakers, but I don't like them to much.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

D._Frederick

The newer da-do set have multiple tipped cutters on the insides chipper. Does this style da-do make a smoother bottom?

I use a da-do on my table saw and on my radial arm saw,  what should I look for in a da-do set  that would work equally well on both of these machines?

beenthere

The Freud SD500 Series Chip-Free Dado Sets are good ones.
Use on both the radial and table saws, equally well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

I like stacked blades with a combination blade like teeth. The best luck I've had on plywoods and splintery woods was with dado blades with a negative tooth angle, if the teeth have the more aggressive positive angle it grabs the wood more and you'll have more tearout.

Anymore I try to plan all my dado cuts around my router bit sizes, they're cheaper easy to sharpen and fairly easy to control tear out using tape.
remember man that thy are dust.

D._Frederick

I was checking to see what Amazon had in the line of saw blades, they handle the Freud and a company named Oshlun. Does anyone know anything about them? They have a 42 tooth, 8 inch da-do set under $90.

I read the feedback reports on the Freud da-do blades and they where complaining about chipped carbites as received.

WDH

All my Freud blades have been very good quality.

isawlogs

My freud blades are real good quality also . The other set is a set from sears , I aint going to comment on those .  :-X  Lets just saye I aint a fan of wable blades , aint saying they aint good , they where a gift .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

D._Frederick

The OSHLUN da-do blade is the same design as the high priced Freud, they have over forty teeth on the outside blades and have 6 teeth on  the chippers. The design is good but I have never heard of them, they don't show up  in any of the wood  worker magazines.

Any body know anything about Oshlun?

Lud

I use a wobble to rough out slots.  Routers or rabbetting planes, chisels, whatever to clean up to the level I'm shooting for.

Some guys just like smooth bottoms, eh? :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

fbelknap

Hello everyone.  I just registered and this is my first post.  I have the Freud  8" Super DaDo and it does an excellent job as others have said.   I also use a router table and router bits, sometimes they are better for the job especially if it is a stopped dado.   What little knowledge I might have I am glad to share.
Fred

WDH

My wobble dado is hanging on the wall where it will stay.

D._Frederick

I still have not bought a new da-do, I still have not made up my mind on what tooth profile I should get. Would you get  a ATB or a triple chip grind, or a + or - bevel hook angle?

Thank You Sponsors!