iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lasko School of Log Building

Started by Mad Dog 1, February 20, 2009, 02:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Dog 1

Just wanted to say hi, I just joined today from the great state of Alaska.  8)

Looking to find out if anyone knows anything about the Lasko School of Log Building.  Everything I've heard has been good.  I've talked with Bill several times, and he seems like a straight up sort of guy.  Just wanted to know if anyone has attended the school, or knows Bill or the school personally.  Thanks.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Don't know Bill, but look forward to hearing about where you are in AK and about your log building plans.
Going for a cabin or house?

Do you have land to cut logs on, or planning to buy logs?

welcome
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: beenthere on February 20, 2009, 04:34:23 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Don't know Bill, but look forward to hearing about where you are in AK and about your log building plans.
Going for a cabin or house?

Do you have land to cut logs on, or planning to buy logs?

welcome

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm in Palmer and plan on starting off with a cabin, probably 20x24.  I've got about 9 acres, with mostly cottonwood, birch, and aspen, but there are some spruce which I'll be able to harvest. 

I've got a construction background(heavy equipment, some carpentry and concrete work, etc.), but I've always wanted to learn the log aspect to build my own place.  So I'm taking an 8 week hands on course starting next month.  Here's the link to the school... http://www.laskoschooloflogbuilding.com/.

Get back in May, and then go from there.  I'll be asking more questions along the way, but I figured I'd start here.  Everything I've heard has been good, just wanted to know if anyone has attended or knows Bill.

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 20, 2009, 07:59:40 PM
Welcome Mad Dog 1!

Thanks for the welcome Dave.  Mad Dog is fine, I added the 1 because the original was taken, and I usually use it on a couple other forums I'm on. :D

jander3

Welcome...

Don't know about Lasko.  I've seen the website; it looks like the topics are covered.  You might want to check into safety rules and procedures, the website has photos of people operating chainsaws bare chested and wearing shorts.   I'm very focused on safety, I can't imagine firing up a chainsaw without chaps, chainsaw resistant boots, gloves, glasses, ear protection, and my saw resistant jacket.   

My son and I attended Great Lakes School of Log Building located in Ely, MN  in 2000 or so.   We learned enough to get rolling in 10 days.   However, we had a lot to learn along the way afterward.   With an eight week course, you will be very proficient with a chainsaw and should fully understand notches, grooves, trusses, purlins, etc when you get done.   I would imagine that if you have the option of investing that much time to begin with, you will be able to eliminate many of the mistakes I made and build your place  much quicker.

Don_Papenburg

All I know about log building came in a coraspondance course or more like round box .  From the Lincoln Logs I got as a kid ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

mad dog

Welcome Mad Dog 1, Mad Dogs must like log homes, I built one in 1988.
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Faron

We're all gonna end up taking rabies shots , you know. ;) ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: jander3 on February 20, 2009, 09:25:14 PM
Welcome...

Don't know about Lasko.  I've seen the website; it looks like the topics are covered.  You might want to check into safety rules and procedures, the website has photos of people operating chainsaws bare chested and wearing shorts.   I'm very focused on safety, I can't imagine firing up a chainsaw without chaps, chainsaw resistant boots, gloves, glasses, ear protection, and my saw resistant jacket.   

My son and I attended Great Lakes School of Log Building located in Ely, MN  in 2000 or so.   We learned enough to get rolling in 10 days.   However, we had a lot to learn along the way afterward.   With an eight week course, you will be very proficient with a chainsaw and should fully understand notches, grooves, trusses, purlins, etc when you get done.   I would imagine that if you have the option of investing that much time to begin with, you will be able to eliminate many of the mistakes I made and build your place  much quicker.

Yeah, he told me those pictures were taken back in the day, the one with the 11 yo, and the old guy was just taking a break. :D  He stresses safety, and if you look under the tool list, all the PPE is required. 

I'm already pretty good with a chain saw, I just want to know the ins and outs of all the things you mentioned.  The last 2 weeks of this 8 week course are concentrated on roof systems with purlin and truss, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: mad dog on February 20, 2009, 09:56:54 PM
                                                                                                                                                      Welcome Mad Dog 1, Mad Dogs must like log homes, I built one in 1988.

Thanks for the welcome. smiley_chop

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: Faron on February 21, 2009, 12:04:35 PM
We're all gonna end up taking rabies shots , you know. ;) ;D

Does senior member x2 mean your twice as good as the rest of the senior members? smiley_clapping

Boy, you guys have some cool smilies here. smiley_big-grin2

Jeff

Quote from: Mad Dog 1 on February 21, 2009, 01:59:06 PM

Does senior member x2 mean your twice as good as the rest of the senior members?

It means they are probably really, really, old farts.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: Jeff on February 21, 2009, 02:58:01 PM
Quote from: Mad Dog 1 on February 21, 2009, 01:59:06 PM

Does senior member x2 mean your twice as good as the rest of the senior members?

It means they are probably really, really, old farts.  ;)

Good one..... lol :D

Raider Bill

Howdy Mad Dog Fancey seeing you here! ;D

Don K on this forum is also DonK on the other one.

This is the mother load or lode..... on timber frame log building!

Actually alomst any question you have can get answered here and if nobody knows the answer they will steer you to the right place. Lot's of knowledge.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 21, 2009, 03:44:01 PM
Howdy Mad Dog Fancey seeing you here! ;D

Don K on this forum is also DonK on the other one.

This is the mother load or lode..... on timber frame log building!

Actually alomst any question you have can get answered here and if nobody knows the answer they will steer you to the right place. Lot's of knowledge.

Thanks for steering me here Bill. ;D  Lots of knowledge on that other site too. 8)

Loghead

Mad dog welcome and you will find Bill to be a fair guy If you  spent much time with him.
I know him thru the Great Lake Log Crafters Association.
another org to check out is ILBA Internation Log Builders Association much info there as well.
There is a combined conferance in may Cable WI it would be a great time to meet many builders and learn alot.
There is many schools in the BC area also.
good luck with your endever oh and have a great time doin it!!
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

Don K

Welcome to the Forum, Mad Dog. This place is great. If you got plenty of puter time there is alot of reading here.  :o :o
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Raider Bill

[/quote]

Thanks for steering me here Bill. ;D  Lots of knowledge on that other site too. 8)
[/quote]

Hey Mom I brought a freind home to play! :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mad Dog 1

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I appreciate it. ;D

mad dog

mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

Thank You Sponsors!