iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seafood

Started by bmill, February 19, 2009, 08:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmill

Maybe I'm the only idiot who didn't know this.  I was fortunate to be down in Puerto Rico this week on business and had an afternoon off. A few of us chartered a boat and went deep sea fishing. We caught a few really nice Mahi Mahi (big one was 38 pounds). After we had them cleaned, the skipper asked how we were getting them home and I told him we'd throw the fillets on ice in a cooler.

He in no uncertain terms explained that you NEVER allow anything out of the ocean to come in contact with fresh water. I've always rinsed critters from the ocean in fresh water before cooking. He was adamant that you always prep salt water fish in salt water.

Thought I'd pass this on in case I'm not the only person who hadn't heard this.
1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

Tom

I think he was being too knowledgeable.

I've carried a lot of saltwater fish on ice.  The commercial boats all carry their catch on ice.   The fish mongers all  display their fish on ice.

When I put fish up for storage, I put them in a cardboard milk carton, or something like that and cover them with a brine. The brine gets colder than plain water and if you don't use too much salt, it will freeze.  That lets you keep the fish at a colder temp. than 32° F.

Saltwater species won't live in fresh water, so the bait fish has to be salt.  Saltwater fish kept in a livewell need fresh circulating sea water to stay alive.  Other than that, fresh water ice is fine.  :)

Mooseherder

I've  always stored my Salt Water Fish on Ice as soon as possible.   Never noticed it affecting the flavor.  There were many days out there when it is so hot, you'd better have enough Cooler and Ice.  Especially for Mahi because they'll most always hit in a school.  Back a few years ago there was no limit as to how many schoolies you brought into the boat.  I think it is 10 per person now.   The trick is to always leave one hooked in the water until another is on the line. ;)

It doesn't look great after a couple days either if you hold it in the refrigerator.
We use to freeze the fillets in a Ziploc Bag with tap water covering the Fillet because Mahi Mahi, (we call them Dolphin down here) does not freeze well for long.  It gets freezer burnt quick if we didn't do this.  The fillets tasted great when we thawed them out. ;)

fishpharmer

Sounds like the skipper wanted some fish to sell  or eat for himself.

:D Did the gringoes fall for it? :D ;D ;D ;D

We always put saltwater fish from the Gulf on freshwater ice.  Its kinda hard to find saltwater ice.

Also, when I clean any kind of fish it gets stored in ziplock bags and then filled with fresh water.  Like mooseherder says, no freezer burn.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bmill

Now that's an interesting angle, was he trying to trick the gringos out of their fish?  smiley_horserider   In this particular case we cut them up into steaks right at the boat, put them in a large bag on top of the ice, then drove a mile to a quickmart and bought the ziplocks. 

You may be on to something though. He didn't seem very interested in providing any bags or solutions after he said not to let the fish come in contact with fresh water. I wonder if a lot of people just hand over the fish at that point.

I can report that the dolphin steaks we had last night back here in Iowa were very tasty.   8)
1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

Chico

I use dry ice wrap the dry ice in a vacum sealed bag throw the fish in good to go Keeps the beer reallll cold too ;D
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Dave Hanny

There is a difference between storing cleaned fish filets or steaks on ice, or in fresh water, vs. storing whole fish on ice.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. 
-- Buddha

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!