iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Yard and Tie yard shut down

Started by just_sawing, February 18, 2009, 09:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

Just got a call and the tie yard has suspended buying. The Log yard is no longer buying any grade logs at all. The other yard only is buying logs twice a week.
It is going to get interesting.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Sorry to hear that Mate things over your way are looking alot tighter than it is here At the Moment   :) ::)  the news today said Australia is going to withstand the the global crisis alot better than any other country   :) but i think you never Know with these Things  :) :) ::) ::) ;) Just keep you chin up and keep on going Mate ;) ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Banjo picker

Quote from: just_sawing on February 18, 2009, 09:30:43 AM
Just got a call and the tie yard has suspended buying. The Log yard is no longer buying any grade logs at all. The other yard only is buying logs twice a week.
It is going to get interesting.

It would also be interesting to know where the tie yards in question are located. ;) Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

just_sawing

Morrison Tn is the Tie Mill.
Middle TN is where I am located. I am full up on orders so I will keep going as I am going.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Banjo picker

Quote from: just_sawing on February 18, 2009, 06:20:51 PM
Middle TN is where I am located. I am full up on orders so I will keep going as I am going.

Thank for the info.  I am just south of Pickwick Tn. There are three tie yards within range of our mill from 40 to 75 miles.  And the two I deal with are wide open as a boot jack.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

Quote from: just_sawing on February 18, 2009, 06:20:51 PM

Too bad about that...I bet I have some extended "Family" affected...

In 1972 I was the apple of the eye of Jacksboro and Morrison...The Hullett's,
Elams, and Lances are all family to me...if you go up to the church on Carl Hullett Rd, my adopted grandparents are buried there.

<sigh> I hope to retire from the Kanoe Klub in a few years and get back there.

Go Vols!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tony

I talked to one of the fellows at the tie yard in Tupelo,MS. He acted like they couldn't get enough 9'2" and 8'8" ties  ??? :o ;D

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

WH_Conley

Ties just dropped $1.00 each and we were put on a quota. Northeast Ky.
Bill

big_sid

Is that with burke parsons also or just koppers
never been so happy to be so broke

zopi

Was going to ask, Is the big lumber yard at Mcminnville still in operation? I think it was Cumberland Lumber co.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tcrofton

The latest from WI is that 7x9 Ties are still going for 22 dollars and change, plus 2 dollars for trucking, but small cross sections are down a couple of bucks.

thanks again for all of your input and expertese :P

WH_Conley

Our Burke,Parsons & Bolby buyer has quit buying ties. He said it would be probably 2 months.
Bill

Banjo picker

Quote from: WH_Conley on March 09, 2009, 10:20:35 PM
Our Burke,Parsons & Bolby buyer has quit buying ties. He said it would be probably 2 months.

Is that in your neck of the woods WH? 

I got some i will be taking to Gross & Janes tomorrow, I am glad they are still buying.  Tim

WH_Conley

Yeah. The guy has a route in Northeasn Ky and Souteastern Ohio and I beleive part of West Virginia. He travels to the mills and buys.
Bill

Banjo picker

The main buyer that I sell to came by the other day, and I got him in the Kubota 900 and rode him all over my woods.  Turns out he is a turkey hunter, and he was excited about all the scratching he was seeing.  I told him to come on and have at em.   :D  You never know when you may need a friend at the Tribune.  Tim

woodhick

I hauled a load (25 ties) to Burke Parsons Bowlby (now Stella Jones) in Spencer WV on Feb 26th and they said they had not put a quota on anyone and prices were the same.   Of course that could have changed on the 27th.   
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Banjo picker

I have to cut 2 more for a load of 50.  Makes the one ton grunt a little.  Tim

woodhick

Wow picker are you hauling them ON the 1 ton or on a trailer?   I haul 25 at a time on my trailer  pulled with my 3/4 ton GMC.  25 is about the limit for the trailer, I could get a bigger trailer but don't think I want to do that at this point.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Banjo picker

I made the trip aok.  My trailer is a dual axel tandem gooseneck , its rated at 20,000 lbs .  The truck in a 99 3500 dodge duley.  There are no really bad grades around these parts.  The highest point in the state is 806 feet. ;D  .  The trailer has brakes on both axels.  Watch ahead and be careful :)    I called my buyer and told him i was coming with 50 .  he was not there , but he had already cut the check.. ;)  Tim

stonebroke

What do fifty ties actually weigh?

Stonebroke

PAFaller

Wish we could say the same up here in PA!! Not sure how the buyers are treating the smaller scale producers, but many higher production mills have been slowed down on the amount of ties they can deliver each week. On top of that the ones that were in the furthest pricing zone, those that got a bit more pay due to trucking costs, got shut off completely at the one large tie mill not far from my house.  One sawmill owner I chat with every so often said the last time the tie buyer stopped by his mill they got to chatting, and the tie buyer said for the first time in his career he saw a tractor trailer load of pure black cherry ties roll through the gate!! Its not uncommon to see an ugly gummy cherry cant in the tie pile once in awhile, but a couple hundred all neatly piled on a flatbed, thats a true sign of the times.
It ain't easy...

woodhick

When I dropped a load off at the BPB yard about two months back there was a whole load of walnut ties! setting there in the yard.  I didn't do a close inspection on them but seen a lot of clear faces still showing.   I guess it is just a sign of the times.

Banjo picker

Quote from: stonebroke on March 10, 2009, 10:07:18 PM
What do fifty ties actually weigh?

Stonebroke

A little over 15,000 lbs.  About 2000 less than my backhoe.  Tim

stonebroke

That is still a pretty good load behind a one ton.

Stonebroke

tcrofton

I just contacted Stella Jones in Bangor WI.
They said the prices will probably go down due to mills needing to unload, but see a steady flow of material out, above their projections. They also want to support local mills, so a nearby plant will buy from close-in small guys over buying from far away. They were very helpful and concerned about small mills :-\
Thanks for everyones' info on this and all other threads. :)

Thank You Sponsors!