iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie question--yep, another "which saw should I get" dilemma

Started by firstbassman, February 18, 2009, 04:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstbassman

Hi all,
Newly registered, but have learned a lot "lurking" here a while. I have an impending saw purchase coming up, 'cuz my Wild Thing is about to die, and since I heat w/ wood, I will need a replacement soon. I'm set on a Stihl and have found a good dealer nearby.

I cut 5-6 cords a year, more if I can get it, mixed--mostly fir, oak, maple, sometimes madrone (if I'm lucky). Varies in size from 4"-24", with majority in 8-18" range. Also doing some clearing of about an acre of small scraggly alder, oak and some old growth Scotch broom, lol  mostly 2"-8".

Got my eye on a Stihl 361, seems like a good all around saw. But I was also wondering if, for about the same $$, should I get a MS290 for bucking firewood and a 170 or 180 for clearing the little stuff? I really like the feel and the light weight of the 180, where I might not want to heft the 361 around to do the small scraggly stuff.

Cost-wise, I'm stretching it to the limit. This will blow my chainsaw budget for the next at 5 years!

Any thoughts?

-firstbassman

Maineloggerkid

In my opinion, I would get the 361. It might be a little heavier for doing brush, but the power will be nice when you are doing firewood rounds. The 361 is a very good saw and once you get it broke in, you should love it.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

beenthere

I'm for sure with maineloggerkid.  You are cutting about the same volume per year as I do, and the MS361 with a 20" bar should cover your "bases" pretty well. Just might have a back-up saw for the occasional time you get the saw stuck. It happens  ::) ::)

Welcome to the forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Maineloggerkid

One thing- I here that the 361 has a real time getting broke in before it " comes alive". Can't say from personal experience but I have heard it a 100 times. Just keep that in mind if your not impressed at first, it will become a very snappy saw. I ran one that was broke in and almost bought it on the spot.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

ErikC

Quote from: firstbassman on February 18, 2009, 04:58:51 AM
Cost-wise, I'm stretching it to the limit. This will blow my chainsaw budget for the next at 5 years!

Any thoughts?

-firstbassman

Well that should be no problem, these will last way over that as much as you plan to use them. It'll be money well spent. I'd get the 361. It isn't a heavy saw really. I think with a 20" bar the 290 weighs nearly as much, but not near the power.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

beenthere

Break-in for mine was 2-3 tank-fulls of fuel. On my son's, it seemed to be ready "right outta the box".  :) :)

But I switched to ethanol-free gas too, and the extra performance seemed to coincide with the change.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firstbassman

Thanks for the great feedback.

Now, is it worth looking at used MS360/036, or is it better to go with newer technology (I'm assuming Stihl upgraded when they went from 360 model to 361).

Thanks

ErikC

If you can find one in good shape for a good price, by all means, get it. I think most of us here would agree the majority of the "improvements" in small engine technology in the last few years are emissions related, and the saws are none the better for it.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Dave Shepard

The 361 is in the same size category, but a different beast than the 036/360. The only differenced I know of between the 036 and the 360 is the tool free gas and oil caps, but there may be others. I have the 036 Pro, and I really like it. It will cut up the 24" hardwoods, it may be slower than a big saw, but it is certainly up to the task. I've used mine for a few clearing jobs, and it is a pleasure to run all day. I think the 290 is probably at least as heavy as the MS361/036/360. Just checked, the 290 is 13 lbs, and the 361 is 12.7. I'm told the 361 has much better anti-vibration than its predecessors. Any of the three would be a good choice for what you are doing, in my experience. If a 361 is in your budget, I'd go that route. It is of a professional design, and will give you years of service, and when it gets tired, is easy, and well worth, rebuilding. As a side note, the 290 is not a bad saw at all. I've spent plenty of hours running one. A buddy of mine had all of his saws stolen, and bought one at a yard sale for $100. It's his go to saw for quick cuts here and there, and also the one he lets his employees run, so they stay away from his new MS660. ;) :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ErikC

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 18, 2009, 05:29:54 PM
As a side note, the 290 is not a bad saw at all. I've spent plenty of hours running one. A buddy of mine had all of his saws stolen, and bought one at a yard sale for $100. It's his go to saw for quick cuts here and there, and also the one he lets his employees run, so they stay away from his new MS660. ;) :D
I got my 290 for $125 used. It's a fine little saw, always handy around the mill and doing chores. I think dolllar-wise it was my best saw buy yet. I had an employee at the time who was kind of hard on things, I bought it for him to use. I put full skip chain on it so I could sharpen it faster. Everytime I looked over, it was dull again. >:( Fired him a while later.  Kept the saw anyway though. ;D

firstbassman

Quote from: ErikC on February 18, 2009, 12:44:26 PM
  If you can find one in good shape for a good price, by all means, get it. I think most of us here would agree the majority of the "improvements" in small engine technology in the last few years are emissions related, and the saws are none the better for it.

One of the Stihl dealers has a couple, and they pop up on craigslist occasionally. What would be a good price?

ErikC

I would say $300-400. That's me, here. Hope some more #'s come in also.

firstbassman

ErikC,

That helps, thanks. I'm in the PNW, so prices are prob. close--That is about the range of prices for the used 360's at the one dealer. I'm new to chainsaw buying, so didn't know if his price was reasonable or not.

Cut4fun

A guy by the username Chopwood in NY has a new looking 036 pro for around $325.

His post - Stihl 036 PRO comes with 16 inch Rollo-E bar and two chains, both will come fresh filed with at least 90% left. Muffler has been opened up and four small holes added to the front cover. Since new, the saw has been run on premium fuel 32:1 with MX2-T oil. It's a great firewood saw, just need to thin the herd a bit.

Just to give you idea on prices and condition of saws out there.

Tom Sawyer

When I started out I decided to go with the 361.  It is a fantastic saw, but you are right, there are times when it would be nice to have a small saw for the small stuff when you don't want to carry the weight of the 361 around.  after a couple of years I bought a 170 and I am glad that I did.  It is not a pro saw like the 361, but well able to handle the light stuff.

So, I would say don't skimp on the bigger saw just so you can buy another smaller one.

Tom

VTLogSlayer

Maineloggerkid:    Heres 101 times, :D my dad and i bought a new 361 this past summer.  Took awhile to break in, but once it broke in, it rips!   Couldnt be happier with the purchase
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

TessiersFarm

I own a small family farm and I have a 026, 036, 361, and 180.  We use the 036 and 361 day in and day out cutting firewood and saw logs.  I use the 026 when I am cutting fence posts, brush and the light stuff.  My father, who is 60 with a bad back and knees insisted on a 180, because it is small and light, this year for what little he cuts, he drives the tractor and occasionally cuts a log to length or trims a branch or 2.  I have been having trouble with the 026 and thought the 180 may replace it for light stuff, but after a couple of hours I found the 180 is not enough saw for much heavy use, even in light wood.  If I could have only 1 saw for 5 or so cords of wood it would be the 260 pro.  second choice would be the 361.  If you are used to handling a saw a lot then go right to the 361.  on a side note the 290 is the farm boss, they never were in the pro class and never will be.  Just my 2 cents.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

isawlogs

I will second this

Quote from: TessiersFarm on February 19, 2009, 07:30:39 PM
  If I could have only 1 saw for 5 or so cords of wood it would be the 260 pro.  second choice would be the 361. 

I have/had both saws and the 026/260pro is a very good saw for its class .. It will cut any of the wood you have mentioned , might not be as fast and strong as the 036/360/361 but for a lot less money ans weight you would have a new saw capable of doing what you expect .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

firstbassman

I'm leaning toward the 361 at this point, although the 260 still looks like a strong contender. I'll have to go back to the dealer and handle the two and see which one feels better. One dealer strongly recommended the 260, said it was "a real fire-breather." I suppose I could do the 7-day exchange if the 260 doesn't seem up to the task.

Maybe look at getting a smaller saw down the road. ( :)Sighs and accepts the inevitable CAD...)

catspa

Hey, FB.

About 10 years ago, I couldn't decide between the 026 and 036, so I asked my neighbor, a pro faller, for advice. He said, "For firewooding and log house/timberframing, the 026 will do 90% of what you want, but 1 time in 10 you'll wish you had the bigger saw. The 036 is more saw to carry around and more fuel, but only 1 time in 100 will you need a bigger saw, then ask me over."

So anyway, I bought the 036 brand new for about $650 w/2 extra rip chains. It weighed less and had lots more power than my old PM605. Never been sorry. A couple years ago I got a slightly used 021 for LOML to use, and I also mount my log wizard on it for peeling poles, etc.

Parker

567paloggger

i would go with the ms 390 i have a really nice great running stihl 031av starts first pull saw is nice but im selling it i dont use it much anymore id sell the saw really great price message me if intersted

Rocky_J

The 031 was probably a good saw in it's day, but that model was introduced in 1971. There have been several generations of improvements in the last 39 years. IMO that old beast is suited for a shelf decoration or conversation piece, but there are hundreds of better choices for a modern daily work saw.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/858c0dec5088261b88256ba2001978db?OpenDocument

hawgrider

I was in the same spot as you a few months back. I looked and looked and didn't know what to do. I almost settled on the 390 but when I work I love the best tools I can buy. I finally bit the bullet and bought the 361. What a great piece of equipment it is. I am glad I did and don't look back. its a joy to use and there when I want it. It will handle any task I can put it through. I got the 20" bar. I think that you will love it and won't look back.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!