iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broke my Boat, and my Ankle

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 01, 2003, 06:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Well. started out pretty good on Tuesday. Went out to the log we have stuck above and below water. Got a GOOOOOD hard pull on it and son goes to the bottom, to dig.
   30 minutes later he surfaces and crawls out onto the log with all his dive gear on. He is jumping up and down, rocking the log, soooooooo, I goes to the front of one pontoon, and start jumpin up and down on it.
   We had a reeeeal good rockin motion going, and then, BANG !!!!!!!!!
   Broke one of the 6 X 8 beams that holds the winch carriage.  :o >:(
   Gathered up our stuff and went to pull another log with what was left of the beam. Got hooked to the log and it was stuck worse than the first. :o >:(
    Soooooo, we go back to the landing and eyeball our log pile. Chose one that will not sell for big $$ because the rings are not tight enough. The next morning, we had a new 6 X 8 X 24 foot beam in place and headed out by noon.
   Kind of a pain, sawing 24 foot beams on a 16 foot mill.  ;D ;D
   I had my son do the sawing. He goes slower than me ::) ::) ;D

Today, we were sawing away, and, making nice boards. Planned on sawing all day tomorrow.
   I done something stoooopid and might have broke my right ankle. It even hurts to type this, so, see y'all tomorrow.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

Harold that suxs about your ankle but if it's broke how did ya do it???

I broke my arm last summer and had a cast on for 8 months :o I will never forget sleeping with that thing on and how awful it was. :-/

Hope it ain't broken bud. :)

Steve

Tom

What did you cut the beam out of, Pine?

Hope your ankle is ok.  I broke mine years ago...... 1965, and it has never been the same.

I could have used a good helper this past week.  Wish I had a boy that was interested in the mill. :-/ :)

Kevin

That's too bad about your ankle but I'm really concerned about the boat, will it be ok?   ;D

isawlogs

Breaking anything don't fit well with me ....sorry to hear about your ankle   ,,, broke mine back in 81 took a long time to get back on my feet ....the only good thing that came out of that adventure was ... my wife ... she was my physiotherapiste .... met her at the hospital never let her go after
   Hope you get well soon... If'in you need a physio   ...two plane tickets and a few cold ones....AND YOU and the misses COULD BE (dam caps lock)up hear in no time ... you could even go on the river just down the hill and investagate the logs down in the water wile you heeling up... ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

D._Frederick

Fla._
Hey, Sorry to hear about your ankle. keep ice packs on it will help for the pain and wrap it up when you are on it and hope the hell that you are wrong about it being broke. I ran the tip of my middle finger into my power plane and didn't know it happened until I felt something wet dripping off my elbow. Its just about healed after 5wks.

I would have thought that a 6 X 8 would have been strong enough to pull your pontoon under water. Was it a sound timber, or what caused it to break?

CHARLIE

Hope you didn't break your ankle. Maybe it's just a bad sprain. Whatever the case, pack it with ice to keep the swelling down and take some anti-inflammatory drugs like Aspirin or Ibuprofen. Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory drug.

Note to Tom:  Tom, I think old age has done something terrible with your memory. Back in '65 you did a lot more than break your ankle. Hell you busted up your leg real good too. DanG whole leg in a cast and a long time in the horspital. I think it affected your head too. Didn't help your looks either. :D  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

OneWithWood

FDH,
You ain't the first one to do sumthin' stoopid - I just ain't broke nothin yet, knock on wood.
Fess up, I know you're dyin' to tell us what you did :-X

Stay off the ankle and let it heal. Hope you are up dancin' in no time ;D

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for all the concern, guys.  You too Kevin !!!! ::) ;D
  The beams on the boat were Pine, and from across the road from my house. They were NOT nearly big enough to use for this purpose, but, $170.00 each, for lumberyard beams--sight unseen, and I figgered they would be OK.
  Only problem was, I sliced one down the middle and split the heart. NOT TOO BRIGHT. It was also spalted? throughout the sapwood???
  The new one will do extra good, once it dries out and gets some strength.

Had a log pile we were sawin out. Had a big piece of Sinker Cypress laying near the pile.
  When I set the 24' log on the mill with the backhoe, I nudged the piece in front of the log pile a bit. The backhoe was out on a job, so, I made a fulcrum deal, with 2X's and a iron bar. I levered the piece out of the way, so the logs would roll off the pile and toward the mill loader. WELL, this one was intent on heading for the big piece, and, being stoooopid, I decided to sidestep the log when it came off the pile. All went well, until I tripped on the very edge of the big piece and went down on both knees. Problem was, the right leg went out sideways and the weight of the ole' bod leaned into the leg. Still had the cant hook in hand, and the lean made the ankle "pop". That didn't seem so bad, UNTIL the next "POP". That one really smarted !!!!!!!!  
   Today, I can put some weight on it and it doesn't hurt, UNTIL I start taking the weight off.  :o
  Called about X-rays at the E-room. Sorry, wrong color, no insurance.  I don"t need insurance, I have the funds in the checkbook!!!  Sorry again, we had a few bad checks, so, you need to have insurance. !!!!!!    What the H*ll is getting wrong with this country ??? ???
  Oh well, off to the Dr. on Monday. Not open on Saturday. Guess ya hafta PLAN yer illness for weekdays too ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

Well I don't think you broke it but I bet you tore a tendon or a muscle.  Probably a tendon. Either way you won't be playing hopscotch any time soon.  Time to start thinkin' up some more inventions.  I'm thinkin' a better cane or a righteous floating wheelchair  :D
One With Wood

Rusty

Harold I hate to hear that! maybe twisted or sprained and not that bad try to stay off it.did you get my message?  

Fla._Deadheader

Hmmmmmmm, Might be a good time to start the new sawmill???  Now, If the market would just cooperate for a couple of days???
   Rusty, got yer message.  Call me at the 800#
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

Sorry bout your foot DH,don't ya know that boat capt'ns,and lumber barons,and mechanical geneiousesain't sposed to put themselfs in harms way?Oh,I know you wuz  in your log roller,general grunt work mode------sorry. Hope the foot gets better quick
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

woodchip

Broke mine a month ago playing golf. Should have been home sawing lumber! ::)

Fla._Deadheader

Well, it's official. X-ray SAYS--------------------------Broke leg >:(
 Broke the smaller outside leg bone. Ankle is fine. Don'T need surgery or pins. Just stay off of it for 4-6 weks >:(
  Went to a sports & rehab type perfeshunal. Figgered the best is what I need for best results. He has NEVER seen this bone broke from the inside. He thought I was joking !!! ::)
  Looks like all sorts of inventin and modifyin and redesignin gonna take place for the next 6-8 weeks ::) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin

Did you ask the good doctor if swimming would be good therapy?

Fla._Deadheader

No Kevin, BUT, I DID mention the boat and he just shook his head from side to side. He wants the bone AND LEG immobile for 2 weeks.  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

D._Frederick

FLA._,
Sorry about the leg, get yourself some 16 X 32 drawing pads and start brain-storming about your circle mill. I draw out most everything I build, it saves time and reduces mistakes.

Can you hire some one to help your son with the log salvage so you don't loose the season?

Larry

This forum should be a lot more interesting for the next 6 to 8 weeks. ;D ;D

Get well soon so we can get back to gator stories. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

Tried 2 days ago to get my partner in Ga. to call me. No luck ??? ??? Don'T ALL phones have number pads of some sort ??? >:(
  Larry, just what are you implying ???  :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Frank_Pender

I am sure sorry to hear about your mishap.  I suppose it is bertter that the break is a single bone, rather than an ankle.

Well, Deadheader,  I could loan you some additional tools to help you get around.  But, alas, you are 4,000 miles away.  I have two hospital beds that I loan out as well a number sets of crutches, walkers (with and without wheels), wheelchairs, etc.   The chairs are not powered. :'(  

Sounds like you will have some time to reinvent or modify some of your equipment.  Is the cast just up to the knee?  Hope so, as it makes for getting around much easier.

We will expect to see a spike in the number of your postings of the next few weeks? ;D
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Frank. Why so much invalid supplies ???
  Funny thing, the Doc wouldn't put a cast on it. Said it's the wrong bone and it MIGHT cause it to grow back crooked. Natural is what he wants, and for me to stay off of it  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Frank_Pender

I am a Shriner.  And, as a teacher I was always running into children and people who were in need of such things as they may not of had insurance to cover such things.
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

AH HA. Them Shriners are a fine bunch of folks. I really admire the way they go to extremes to help the kids and their parents. Glad to be associated with one, personally, Frank. Thanks for being so caring for others. ;)  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

DanG Harold, when the man said break a leg it was just a matter of speech  :D

I was pretty sure it was not a broke ankle and bein' as it is a broke leg I guess you cannot sue me for a mis diagnoses  :D :D

Rest up, try to keep the pounds from piling on and put the creative juices to work.  :P :P ::) :P ::) ::) :P 8)
One With Wood

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

Lets get that sander drawn up. You got to set down anyway.
What you gonna do for an encore?
Take Care
Richard

Minnesota_boy

If Frank Pender sent down one of those non-powered wheelchairs, I'd bet on it coming back with power, probably with a big V-8 and stick shift.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

EZ

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot, Sander plans have been modified already. :o Just need to get the amount of 3/4 Plywood added up. Bid some sandpaper tonight on Ebay for the Drum. ;D
  Started laying out an airlift for digging out logs today. Need a 2 cyl. 18 HP+ engine for an air pump.
  An airlift is a gizmo that is a piece of pipe with a valve in it at the bottom end. You pump air down to it and it rises inside the pipe and as it rises, it expands and pushes the water out the top. Got enough air and it shoves sand, shells, coins, etc. etc. out also. A real diggin machine underwater. ;D
  Main problem is, I can't stand at the bandsaw and metal lathe to get the main parts done. :(
  Powered wheelchair would be nice, but, I might seriously maim myself doing Wheelies er sumpin ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Frank_Pender

Besides, guys, the wife would make me put a governor on the new engine.  :D  She has been trying to cool my jets for years. :'( :'( :'( :'( ???
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!