iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lathe Addiction

Started by Left Coast Chris, February 16, 2009, 12:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Here is the result of a mild addiction to the lathe as of late.  Or is it just the rainny days?

The one on the left is Calif Black Walnut, the middle is Silver Maple crotch and the right is Manzanita burl with ant holes.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Dodgy Loner

Very nice!  What type of finish do you use?  I bet the one on the right was fun to sand! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Left Coast Chris

The Black Walnut has gloss polyurathane over Verithane Natural Penetrating Oil, the Silver Maple has gloss polyurathane over polyurathane sealer to keep it light in color and the Manzanita Burl has 5 layers of Verithane Natural Penetrating Oil and buffed. 

I have never used polyurathane on bowls before so Im experimenting.  It is really cheating instead of taking up so much time with built up oil finishes.  :)   If you use gloss poly then it can be buffed out making them more attractive as opposed to satin or semi gloss poly.  I have not buffed the two on the left yet.  That would take some of the shine off.   Need to let them completly harden first.

The Manzanita Burl bowl had to be wrapped with heavy tight vinal tape to hold it together and it was a real hand catcher to sand  :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Love your bowls Chris, they look amazing.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logwalker

Those are really beautiful. How will you buff them when they setup? Or is that a dark secret? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Burlkraft

Nice job Chris  8) 8) 8)

Nothin' like a good hand grabber on the lathe  ;)  ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Lud

Fine looking bowls.  What size are those boys? 

Turn every chance you get?  Accumulating hoards of turning blanks?  Addiction is an ugly word for a passion for creation in the rotational format.

Just another "round guy".
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

tyb525

Don't worry, I share the same addiction. Except for right now, the sawmill addiction has overtaken the turning. :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Left Coast Chris

Thanks guys for the compliments.  To buff them I have the aluminum shaft that screws onto the lathe spindle with the ball shaped buffer on the end.  Start with rotten stone then switch balls and finish with carnuba wax.  The buffing can be finicky.  As the buffer heats the surface it will deposit the rotten stone or wax and mix in with the finish if the finish is not absoutly hard.  That is a frustrating lesson to learn  :o.

The diameter of the bowls are 9" for the Black Walnut, 12" for the Silver Maple and 7" for the Manzanita burl.

Great fun.......so much fun my corner desk project is going on 9 months and I reluctantly finished the drawers due to the rainy weekend but had to stop and start two more bowls on Sunday afternoon.  Lots of bowls coming out of the shop but the desk is draging on.  Funny how that works. :) :)

zopi

I am jealous..I miss my lathe.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Burlkraft

I hear ya on the desk drawers Brother  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

They are work stoppers fer sure  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

turningfool

great job chris,very artistic pleasing to the eye shapes too

turningfool

heres my latest finished from this to this project chris,have you made anything recently? pics are a must :)

SwampDonkey

That's nice TF. What do you call it? Is it a covered bowl?

I was stacking firewood in the barn today and found some pieces of birdseye. It was in a couple pieces next to the pith and very tiny eyes. Enough to catch your eye, but not enough wood to make something worth while. At first I thought it was the feed roller on the firewood processor, but no, it was inside the wood near the middle, not in the bark or the sapwood to the outside. The wood comes off crown lands so it's very likely you'll get an odd piece now and again. There was some mild curly grain to in some sections, not the eye catching type though. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

turningfool

its a memorial urn for a departed in-law,his wife wanted something for the kids

Left Coast Chris

WOW  TF...... very beautiful urn.  Looks like you had some thicker pieces of quilted maple to use?   Also, how did you finish it?

As for myself,  Im sawing right now trying to get the piles stacked and stickered a couple of weeks before it turns hot.  Check out my "Sawing burls and grafted wood" post.   

I do have a redwood bowl with a top I havent posted and a couple of others.  Just need to complete the finishing then I can post.

Thanks for showing us the urn.   8) 8)

CHARLIE

Chris, sometime experiment with clear lacquer as a finish. Several coats (It dries pretty fast) and then put it on the buffing wheel. It has an extremely smooth and soft feel.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Left Coast Chris

Will do Charlie.. :)

I have a friend at work that makes jewlery boxes and uses lacquer then hand buffs.  The only part I don't like about it is the fumes. 

How long do you wait before you buff and what do you put on your buffing pad?

CHARLIE

I usually don't wait more than 1/2 hour between coats, sometimes less. I'll wait a day befor buffing. Probably don't need to wait that long. I usually use the 3 part process when buffing lacquer. I carefully use the red buffing compound, then the diamond white and  then buff on a coat of canuba wax. Smoooooooooth as a baby's butt.

I like shellac too.  I'm not a real fan of varnish but do use a spar varnish with UV inhibitors when finishing a box elder that has red in it or Osage Orange.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Fla._Deadheader

Charlie, do you use a Sanding Sealer before the Lacquer ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

JV

Great job.  Yes, it's addictive.  I have a half dozen different foot powered lathes.  Exercise and fun at the same time.  I just purchased a used Ringmaster lathe but haven't had the time to use it.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

metalspinner

I would love to see pics of your treadle lathes, JV. :)

I hit the lathe hard today.  I'm one of those binge turners.  A week or so of turning, then I get off for a while.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

CHARLIE

Harold, maybe I should but I never have used sanding sealer before I spray on the lacquer. I just spray on a coat, let it dry and smooth it down with either 0000 steel wool or some 400 grit sandpaper. Then I spray on another coat. Depending on how ambitious I am is how many coats it gets, but the more the better in my opinon.  After the last coat, I then take it to the buffing wheel and use buffing compounds and end up buffing on a coat of carnuba wax.
Charlie

Left Coast Chris

Hi Charlie,   it was raining here today so I worked on buffing out my last three bowls. Two had Varithane Natural Oil finish and one was polyurathane.  My buffer is the aluminum extension to the lathe spindle with the 3" diameter buffing balls.  One for the rotten stone and one for the carnuba wax.   I put the buffer for the rotten stone (red) on and buffed all of them.  I was not too happy with the result.  I then changed the buffing ball to the carnuba wax ball (white) and attempted the wax.   I was not happy at all.   

I then attempted to sand with 400, 800 (wet)and 1000 (wet) and then used some turtle wax rubbing compound followed by turtle wax car wax.   Two of them turned out real well.   The last one (polyurathane) did not. I took it and striped off the wax with thinner and sprayed another coat of poly on it.  Not sure where Im going to end up with it.  Maybe the stove if I have to re finish it.

Could you describe what your buffing setup is (separate wheels? how big? how you apply the rotten & white stone? etc)

Your input would be very much appreciated.  --thanks--

thedeeredude

Quote from: JV on May 02, 2009, 06:20:28 PM
Great job.  Yes, it's addictive.  I have a half dozen different foot powered lathes.  Exercise and fun at the same time.  I just purchased a used Ringmaster lathe but haven't had the time to use it.

Pcitures!!  Right now!!  You know you cant just talk about that kind of thing and then walk away :D  I still want to build that dang springpole lathe, I just need more motivation.

Thank You Sponsors!