iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust needed in NY for Dairy Farmers

Started by Nancbee, February 16, 2009, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nancbee

I had a call from a reader in NYS who's looking for a machine that will make sawdust. I told him every sawmill makes sawdust but he says that there are so many mills stopping operation near him that the availability of sawdust for bedding his dairy cows is at an all time crisis situation. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Nancbee
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Brad_S.

Dairy farmers are easier to deal with than horse people, but I would get calls from both weekly. What they really want is planer shavings, the bandsaw sawdust is too fine, the circle mill dust is too wet. They want it without walnut and trucked to them, which means you either need a good sized dump and take time away from your operation to do it or take the time to line up a contractor. I found it easier to spread the material out back than deal with deliveries. A millworks friend of mine is supplied a gravity wagon from a local farmer, blows his chips into it and calls the guy when it is full. A win/win situation.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Nancbee

Thanks for the reply, Brad. I learned something new today!  :)
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Jeff

Many of the dairy farmers around here went from sawdust to sand. Dairy farmers still have stipulations on the sawdust. Wet old sawdust can cause Mastitis, sawdust from some of the oaks when cut on a circle mill can cause udder abrasions.  Our Farmers up here really love the aspen sawdust, but when that is in short supply, they do go to sand.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

logwalker

How do they use it in their operations? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

I don't think I've ever seen sawdust used on dairies here. If they do, I have never see their sawdust stash anywhere. Straw is all I've ever seen and remember.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I'll have to pay closer attention when passing by the dairies, maybe I just never paid enough attention.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

Sand works great in a free-stall setting, but not as well in stanchion barns or box stalls. Our free-stalls have been sand for many years. We are also having a very hard time getting sawdust or shavings. There is one guy with a 25 yard truck who does nothing but truck sawdust. We found if we got on his list, it was the best chance we had. I've been thinking strongly about a shavings mill, but not really in a position to make it all work right now. A new trend in bedding is composting. You have a large open area in the barn, and you start with some bedding, like sawdust or straw, and you rototill every day. After a while, it is just a big fluffy pile of compost.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Wenrich

We sell sawdust to dairy farmers, horse people and chicken farmers.  We produce about 3-4 trailerloads a week, and there is usually a months worth of deliveries waiting for dust.  The pellet plants have put the cork on some of the dust supplies to the farmers.  Our dust gets blown right into the truck from the mill.  We've been selling like this for 20 years.

There are shaving machines, and Morbark used to make a machine called a duster.  It would take slabs and turn them into a coarse sawdust.  Works well, if you have the production.  Some guys run them instead of chippers.  I don't think they make them anymore.

Some of the farmers will run the sawdust inside so it stays out of the weather.  Others may cover it up.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I was thinking to keep an eye out for a sawdust shed around operations. I don't know how the sawdust would work in these operations here as most spread liquid manure.

Dave Shepard

Forestall used to make something called a Sawduster, it may be similar, or the same, as the Morbark unit. It makes a product that looks very similar to a stump grinding, not really a decent bedding product. There is a guy with one near me, and he said that you would have to run it all day to keep up with his handset mill, it was rather slow. It also takes a 100HP electric motor. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dale Hatfield

salsco makes a a unit had it at the PBS this year.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Bro. Noble

I hope our stoopid cows don't hear how yankee cows live.  Ours just sleep out in the brush and don't have to have bedding or cleaning up behind.  Well, they do seem to save up for the few minutes they are in the milk barn------stoopid cows ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

:D :D Yeah, but yours are happier Bro_Noble. ;D  The neighbor's little heard gets to go out on the land in the summer as well.  Ours were always pastured as well, but dad said goodbye to them 30 years ago. :)

Frickman

Sawdust is in real short supply here too. For the same reason, mills have reduced production. We always, and to this day, leave the cows out on pasture as much as possible. The beef herd we have now has unlimited access to the pasture. That's a way of saying I'm too lazy to pen them up.  ;) They seem to be happier and healthier that way. The horses and donkey are out with them too.

I could never figure out the horse people who insist that the animal needs to spend all its time in a stall. They must like to buy bedding and shovel manure. It's against a horse's nature to be cooped up in a twelve by fourteen box. That's one way they pick up bad habits, like cribbing. They're just bored. We don't pen up any animal unless we have a good reason.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Chuck White

Two of my brothers ran dairy farms (stantion barn, not free-stall) until recent years.

They both confirm that the sawdust from a band saw mill is too fine and it will cause mastitis because it will get into the end of the teat and cause an infection!
However they both used sawdust from circle saw mills and had no problems with it!  Circle mill sawdust is a lot courser pieces!

They used mostly softwood sawdust, pine, hemlock, spruce, etc., but they have used hardwood sawdust too!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ErikC

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 16, 2009, 08:46:40 PM
:D :D Yeah, but yours are happier Bro_Noble. ;D  The neighbor's little heard gets to go out on the land in the summer as well.  Ours were always pastured as well, but dad said goodbye to them 30 years ago. :)

Actually SD, the happy cows are out here in CA. I know cause I saw it on Television. ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Oh man, brings one of the recent Good Wrench commercials to my head. I don't want to go there.  :D :D

Ron Wenrich

I remember some farmers that used to talk about mastitis and sawdust.  Then, one day I was at a mill that was primarily a pine mill.  I was stopping by to look for sawdust for a cogen operation.  I asked him where he was selling his sawdust.

It went to Penn State for their dairy barns.  I figured if it was good enough for one of the leading ag universities in the country, the other farmers shouldn't have any problems. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

breederman

Oak saw dust is the culprit, and the least preferred. Bedding costs are a real issue as sawdust gets harder to get. Sand is the gold standard these days but settles out in manure pits and is hard on handling equipment. Straw or hay usually needs to be chopped to work with barn cleaners etc. and that is a dusty job. and it cant be used at all in some systems as it clogs some kinds of pumps.
Most of the saw dust around here is being burned at the mills for heat or being sold for pellets. They actually ration the dust to farmers.
Together we got this !

stonebroke

I think it it is wet hardwood sawdust that promotes mastitis. Wet softwood  dust is okay.

Stonebroke

nas

Is walnut a problem for cows or is that just horses?

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Sawyerfortyish

We have horse farms standing in line for our sawdust. A couple farms have even bought loads of mulch for bedding.  Our mulch is ground from our slabs and seems to work just as good as shavings. We have a 1 1/4 " screen in the grinder so the mulch is ground up fine.

Thank You Sponsors!