iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Congratulations Jeff and Tammy!

Started by Bibbyman, August 01, 2003, 06:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The end of an era. I sold the old forestry forum truck yesterday to a young man in need. The truck had 14,000 miles on it when we got it and over 378,000 when it left yesterday. We had the truck 17 years. This topic was about when it became the Forestry Forum truck.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cbla

378,000 miles  smiley_clapping Wow, good truck! Hope your next treats you that well.

Jeff

The 84 blazer Tammy got last month is the recipient of the funds gained by selling the truck. It gets dropped off Friday for new rockers and paint.

Jeff

This is what happens when you try to do something good. I had no reason to get rid of my forestry forum truck. It was a running driving dependable spare.
But something came up where it could help a young man get past some rough patches. This young man had helped me with some things around here so I thought it was an opportunity to return. I sold the truck to him with a payment he chose. He even chose the purchase price, and then asked me to increase the price by 500 for the 3 day old tires I was going g to swap out on my other truck. That way he had new tires. So I had to spend another 500 for tires for my truck.

There was no down payment. We would keep the title, and even the plates and insurance on it for the 6 months it would take to make the truck his.
The first payment was a week late. He explained and apologized. Okay. The second payment was two more weeks late. Explanation accepted.
Then he disappeared 6 weeks late and no contact.  He was working for one of the local cement contractors, so we would see the truck. Tammy left a note on the truck to get a hold of us. Then he really disappeared. He was a friend of my son's, so Jeremy told us where he thought he was staying. After watching for two weeks the truck showed up there. We spent two more weeks trying to get a hold of him. His mom finally helped us get a set of the keys, and Jeremy and Tammy went and got it. It had been wrecked. The whole driver side wiped out. Granted it had some issues before, but not like this. Window busted out, frame bent, brake lines ruptured, the new tires on the back burnt off of it.
I think I'm done. This is far from the first time I've been disappointed trying to be a decent person and help others.
Lot of this is starting to come together. His first late payment was the excuse that his boss had not been paying him on time, and that th truck had broke a yoke on the driveshaft, he said it had just fallen on the road. Being the understanding fool that I am, ok, it is an old truck, and although I never had sensed a problem with it, it could happen. Now, seeing what is let of those rear tires, I know exactly what happened to it. He started beating on that truck on day one. I'd about guarantee is was doing reverse pullouts to burn the tires, and that is how he busted the driveshaft yoke.
After further inspection, I find the frame is completely busted under the drivers side of the cab. The truck will never drive again. This by far was the best most dependable truck I had ever had. We had it for 16 years.  I feel now like I betrayed an old friend by turning it over to an abuser.

btulloh

It really makes you wonder.

Good on ya for trying to help somebody.  Sorry it had to turn out this way.
HM126

ronwood

Jeff,

Sorry to hear that it did not turn out well.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

sawguy21

That is a very sad turn of events but people are not always what they seem to be. Maybe the kid is an accomplished con artist, maybe has mental health issues but he won't get far in life playing this game. Still, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason not to. As a wise old lady once said to us "You fool me once you pretty smart. You fool me twice I pretty stupid".
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cbla

Its so unfortunate that these kind of things happen and even more that it is happening more often. I have really scaled back on offering a helping hand, I feel bad but have gotten burned one too many times.

grouch

Jeff,

Your attempt is commendable and his failure doesn't diminish that.

Glad you got that truck back before he could cause you severe and lasting trouble. I might've given him a $500 barely roadworthy clunker, but it would be in his name before he turned the key!

I've seen much worse damage repaired. Maybe get a few estimates and compare to the price of a replacement.
Find something to do that interests you.

barbender

Jeff, that's a good warning for everyone. Sorry it turned out like that. I just got out of a similar situation, I let someone take a vehicle and make payments. But, I told him I was dropping the insurance and he couldn't drive it until he got the title in his name. Well, after about 2 months he still wasn't able to come up with the $50 or so to transfer the title, so I went and repo'd it (he hadn't paid me anything yet). Thankfully it wasn't damaged. I was nervous the whole time- what if he went and got in an accident or something, and it's in my name? Or, I transfer it into his name and never get paid? I was ready to pay the title transfer myself, just to get it off of my mind, but my wife put her foot down👍 For the $500 the rig was worth, it wasn't worth the liability. I hope life isn't making me too hard or cynical, but I've found that usually when people are in these "situations" it's because of bad decisions, irresponsibility, etc. I know when I've been in those spots (many years ago, thankfully) it was because of my own stupidity. I knew it and was ashamed to ask anyone to put themselves out for me. It makes me skeptical right off the bat when people aren't ashamed to come at you with their hand out. Please don't get me wrong, I love to help people in tough situations- I'm talking about the people that dig their own holes and want to pull you down in with them. On the flip side, I have a friend whose mom passed away last week (cancer), and his wife was also diagnosed with cancer, last week. In fact, he ran out of the Mayo clinic where his wife was, to get on a plane and fly out to Seattle to be with his mom as she passed. We and our churchwill be getting something together to help out with all the travel expenses and such that occur in these horrible times (he's the pastor of our church, actually). Really sorry you got burned on this.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

It is sad to know that there are people that have absolutely no respect for others, or even for themselves.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

You did your part of the agreement , sad he made some very bad choices.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

dgdrls

As Grouch said "Your attempt is commendable and his failure doesn't diminish that. "  I believe that as well

It does bring to mind "No good deed goes unpunished" 
I bet your son feels pretty bad too,

most unfortunate,

D

ElectricAl

Jeff, I remember you getting that truck and how happy you were. This is a very sad conclusion to a long ownership.

Al
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

paul case

Good on you for trying to help someone. Shame on him for treating you this way.

My dad says''no good deed goes unpunished''.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

It is too bad he did that to you and the truck, I'd have him arrested for theft.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ianab

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 05, 2017, 09:02:40 PM
It is too bad he did that to you and the truck, I'd have him arrested for theft.

Yes it sucks, but locally at least, the cops wouldn't get involved, because he had the truck with Jeff's permission (initially). That he didn't pay for it as promised is considered a "civil" matter. You can take the guy to court, but from the sound of things that wont help, you can't get "blood out of a stone".

Jeff's best option was to repossess it, and it sucks that it's damaged beyond repair. Suggest you part it out, and sell the leftovers for scrap metal, at least get something for it that way.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

red

coxy

that sucks  sorry jeff    I just hope he didn't hit anyone or destroy anyone's property   and they come after you  iv been in your shoes before and never again    again sorry

thecfarm

I have no idea how many people you have helped over the years. There is bound to be a bad one out of that many.  :o :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

that is really too bad Jeff.
Human nature has many facets most good but some just suck.
Red.  Doodle bug really?
havent heard that term since my teen years.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

My friend built a doodle bug with two power driven rear axles for six wheel drive , it has two transmissions. He just loves gears , his one ton dump truck has a two speed rear out of a C60 and its street legal .

Jeff

I signed the title over tonight and watched the forestry forum truck disappear out the back drive on its way to the salvage yard. A sad sad day.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!