iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rolling along

Started by Jeff, February 15, 2009, 09:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm about certain they don't have time to look in here and find this before it arrives, so I thought I would show you what I made to give Tammy and Kevin for LogRite Tools' 5th anniversary.  There was no good way to photograph it, so I did a video clip.

Maple Rolling pin with one of my woodburnings. Its food safe, finished with mineral oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc3nne9DChA
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

:D :D

Does it impress the image in the biscuits? :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

Hey Look!   A signature grits roller.  8) :D

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Nope Tom, that is a polenta roller ;D.

If that just don't cut the cake :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Left Coast Chris

Great images!   Jeff, you still have'nt told us what burner you use.  Also do you use an assortment of tips or mostly one?   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Jeff

pigman

QuoteAny idea who these two are?

Yes
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Left Coast Chris

Thanks Jeff.  I missed the boat on your post with the pic of the tool.  ::) I'll blame it on seasonal light difficiency syndrome making the person not too sharp.  :)  Thats what I tell Maylynn (wife) why I have to eat more cookies in the winter time also.  :)

I have a cheepo burner also but your plastic thickness and insulated grip area looks fatter and your tip is finer.   I might have the ultra cheepo.  It gets too hot to hold and is not hot enough to burn very well at least in English Walnut which is pretty hard.  Good tip on the carbon removal.   Right now I just use it to sign the bottom of bowls but want to start burning some figures and things.  Its brand name is "Walnut Hollow"  and says it is 25 Watts.

Is yours more than 25 watts?  It would be good to know if Im driving a Yugo instead of a GTO and if that is where some of my problem is.  :P --thanks--

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Mines the same as yours Chris, I think the only difference with Jeff's is a rubber grip was added, other than that it's the same, like some do to a pencil. Some wood is easier to burn, Walnut I think would be difficult, but butternut.....not too bad. You have an easier time with the softer woods.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Different woods are definitely different. I did some of the first ones on basswood. It burns very easily. Almost to easy. My favorite so far is the Maple that I Burlkraft supplied for that desk project.  Worst is pine. There must be more resin in the different parts of the grain. Burning cross grain goes from burning hard, to thinking you will have to stomp it out. :D

I just picked up a hard maple cutting board to do a scene on so we can have another Forestry Forum auction. Not sure what I will put on it yet.  Maybe a logging cooking scene. Dunno. :)

SwampDonkey

You gotta treat pine more gentle Jeff.   ;D :D :D

Left Coast Chris

The closest I have is Silver Maple.  Its a big help at least knowing the wood (English Walnut) may be the problem.  I'll fire up all 25 Watts and give it a shot.  :) :)

Jeff

In combination with a pair of strong reading glasses and a magnifying glass, :D, I was able to read on my burner that it is 25 Watts.

Jeff

This was a rough one. Fine detail, but found out the board had been lightly oiled. Made for some very interesting burning results. The smoke from the oil, while invisible, was enough to make the eyes water.

The finished product is food safe, finished with mineral oil like the rolling pins. This will be a forum auction item, but we will forgo ebay and do it with the forum's auction software I think.   :)

Dan_Shade

Jeff, is there a hidden heart anywhere in that first rolling pin?   :-X
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Left Coast Chris

Really nice  8) 8)

No one can put a knife to that board!  It is really spectacular.  That will fetch a good price.  :)     Working with that kind of detail has got to add some wear and tear to the fingers....... and eyeballs.  :o

Radar67

Quote from: Jeff on February 16, 2009, 12:48:09 AM
Any idea who these two are?  :)

Nope, care to enlighten us since Pigman's senility has him closed lipped?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

it might be used to roll out some "egg" noodles
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Yesterday I worked on a piece that is closer to my typical content. I did it on a basswood cookie that I picked up at Walmart awhile back.  I'd rather burn on more utilitarian type objects, but this is what I had on hand, and I had that yurn ta burn.  :)  I'm outta stuff to burn on and Skooter doesn't like the way I've been eyeing him up.

Dodgy Loner

Nice work!  So what kind of log are they sawin'?

We still don't know who that is in the second rolling pin... ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jeff

Dodgy, yer supposed to tell me what kinds tree it is.  :)

Rolling Pin: Those that know know. ;)

SwampDonkey

I found a few old photos like that scene on the net and they were cutting 25+ inch yellow birch logs from back in the forties. I suspect it was when the big birch started dying off.

WDH

Can I send you some wood to burn on?  What species would work?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!