iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

when your in the woods in the winter sometimes you get stuck (see pic)

Started by Quebecnewf, February 15, 2009, 02:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

In the woods today again and I tried to go through a small portage onto another mesh and that was a mistake. Got stuck . Had to go get the winch and shovel to get it out. Thats the winter logging game.

Quebecnewf

chevytaHOE5674

Had my fair share of snowmobile stucks this winter. But I don't have a winch, just a shovel and man power to lift them around. Even a 1.75" paddle track can only bite so hard.

beenthere

Tryin to drag the trees out under the sled?  ;D ;D  Pretty country, and glad you had the winch along.

Reminds me...did anyone see the pics bouncin around the web of the lady that ran over a mattress in the road..
The mattress springs/wires wrapped completely around the drive shaft. Finally the wire whapping the gas tank punctured a hole, and the car ran outta gas...after about 30 miles.
Towed the car in, and found the wrapped wires.
The lady said that she had noticed a lot of rumbling but didn't think it was anything serious.

:D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

No reverse newf?  ;D
What type of winch are you using?
It might be better to cut a pole and winch off that between the skis rather than winching directly off both skis, I think there's less chance doing damage to the steering.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

I got so Dang tired of being stuck with my sled I got rid of it and bought an old cat(D4). Now I cvan go anywhere....anywhere its frozen  ;)  :D

Quebecnewf

Kevin

You must know by looking at the pic that the machine in question has both hi and low ahead plus reverse. Reverse was not an option as you can see in the pic.

The winch was pulling on the ski legs not on the toes of the skies. The trees you see under the machine are small spruce tops we cut down and pushed under the machine to make it bear up on the snow

I have been driving snowmobiles since 1968 and if there is any ff member that has more time or miles on one of these please  jump in.

Quebecnewf

chevytaHOE5674

I ride 5-6k miles a year, most of that back country in 4-6 feet of powder. Deep lug tracks, lots of power, and light weight will help you tremendously. Not saying i don't get stuck, but its not very often, and a few minutes of lifting and shoveling and I get right out.   

Edit: last year i rode 8k miles, and this season I'm at 5k and its only the middle of feburary.

beenthere

Quebecnewf
For sure, the pics you have in your gallery clarify that you know what you are doing. You work hard for the wood you bring in to keep your mill in wood. Very impressive.

And really do thank you for showing us the pics of some of those tough conditions you work in, and predicaments you work out of.  :) :)  Most would get discouraged and hang it up.. I admire you for what you and your wife do to keep a nice place there, and help out your community with lumber and wood. 
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

Chevyta

What type of sleigh do you tow behind your sled to haul your logs homebuilt or other

Quebecnewf

chevytaHOE5674

Homebuilt sleigh, with homebuilt wide skis. Floats easy on the snow, when I come to large shelfs to climb, I unhook the sleigh and drive the machine up, then pull the sleigh up with a strap. But only when I really need to get wood of of the bush.

But most of the riding I do is marking timber, timber sale inspections and just pleasure. Leave the harvesting and hauling to the guys with big machinery in these parts.

fuzzybear

I even get stuck once in a while with my Skandik wide track. Glad I got the winch ;D ;D ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Kevin

newf;
What winch are you using in the bush?
I've had my fair share of being stuck with a snowmachine trapping for many years, it's bound to happen in fresh powder and any hill can be a killer.
Many times I would break the trail with snowshoes to lesson the risk of being stuck.
The only way to escape being stuck sometimes is to stay home.
It's only going to get worse going into March.

Geoff Kegerreis

I have an active lifestyle that keeps me away from internet forums these days - If I don't reply, it's not personal - feel free to shoot me an e-mail via my website (on profile) if there is something I can help you with!  :-)

beenthere

Kevin
Seem to remember Quebecnewf had a capstan rig similar to the one you used to pull the log out in the video the other day. Either last year or the year before he had some pics of his winch rig.

Found this thread...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29537.msg425024.html#msg425024
south central Wisconsin

Ed

I saw this video a while back, tracks for the Polaris 6x6. Pretty impressive!
I'm guessing it stays up better than a sled?

Ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VD_rsiP0nI&NR=1

fuzzybear

I use a small Warren 1500 lb winch.  And if your trying to break trails for logging I would strongly suggest breaking with snow shoes first.   You pack the snow down enough and you find all the "hangers" in the way.   Just make a couple passes with the skidoo , then your ready to hook up to the sled and start hauling wood.  It takes a little extra time but it sure beats getting stuck.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

SwampDonkey

Ok, we need a little Newfoundland style diddy here. Don't ya think? ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU17Kt14J_E

"I use her getting firewood, she'd haul some awful loads,
And when them big machines bog down she gives them all a tow
I can lift her, she don't need reverse, there's no place she can't go!
She's been shot mistaken for a moose because she was so slow"

:D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

nas

Thats great SD
I'll have to send that one to my friends with their 120hp+ sleds that break down halfway between Timmins and nowhere 8) ::).  They laugh at me because mine is only 500cc and won't do 120mph ::)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

barniescamp

lots of fun
I have a widetrack like that vk but a scandic in which I got stuck a few times and its not fun their so heavy.
did you have to walk to get help??

Thank You Sponsors!