iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One and two inch scale

Started by Chuck White, February 15, 2009, 09:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Is there a scale available that will yield one inch or two inch lumber right off the mill?
Marked off in increments like the 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 & 8/4 scale!
This will eliminate me doing continual calculations in my head as I saw!
I get a few customers who would like to have "exactly" one inch or two inch lumber as sawed!
No allowing for shrinkage!

Thanks; Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dan_Shade

you could make up a scale by getting a peice of aluminum and using a scribe to draw the lines, then darkening with paint

a little hassle, but after you do it, it's done :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WH_Conley

Wood-mizer has one, I imagine the other manufactures have one too. The WM is true inch (7/8") , true inch plus saw kerf (1") and grade hardwood (1 1/8").
Bill

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jim H

I'm not sure about a '95 but on my old '97 and my new lt40 the lumber scale had 1/8 over (grade hardwood) on one side and an actual size scale like you want on the other. Have you tried looking on the other side? Woodmizer sells replacement decals for the scales, and as I recall the price was pretty reasonable.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

jeffreythree

One of the sponsors, Sawmill and Woodlot Management, has a great excel file currently that goes with the current issue. http://sawmillmag.com/  Does not require a subscription to get the file either.   I printed out a couple with different board thicknesses and laminated them to take along with me.  I just put in the board thickness I was cutting as the final piece thickness.  It lets you tailor to your kerf, also.  I don't even have my mill yet, but getting ready to go for the end of the week :) .
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

Thank You Sponsors!