iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HF sawmill (bandsaw)

Started by SPIKER, February 13, 2009, 05:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

Has anyone seen one of the new small band saw sawmills they are selling at harbor freight?   Price wise they seem OK, small units lower power & all but cost seems ok.   I can build a real track for it if I was to get one, price seems to be attractive for someone like me that may have a few trees a year to mill or a pile setting around that needs done and re-sell it.??

thanks for reply ??? eh eh.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

peter nap

I didn't know they carried one but I just looked at it. I'll be interested in the comments too. Do they still offer free delivery for the high dollar items?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

I stopped in the saw shop the other day for supplies.  He had a 6 fairly new generators in for repair.  All had Chinese engines.  The shop owner was telling me parts are impossible to get but in realty the engines were throw away...once they quit running that's it.

I sure would look at the used market before buying a HF machine.  I'm not down on HF as I've bought a lot of things there...just not any power tools.  To many horror stories.  To there credit, customer service...at least in our store is great.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

peter nap

Thanks Jeff
I figured as much :D

okie

Here's my thoughts. I think if you just have a few logs here and there it would probably suit you fine. That being said, milling truely is addictive and you probably wouldnt stop at a few logs and by the time you were done probably have replaced the motor with a good motor, built new tracks, added better guides and beefed up the carriage and such so... for not much more money you could get a proven low end mill from norwood or woodmizer or hudson and with that have better components and customer service/ troubleshooting help.
I am sure the mill will cut lumber but you will probably put money into it before you're done.
If I had seen this mill about a year ago I probably would have gotten it, glad now I didnt as I have a mill that suits me perfectly.
Just my $.02

Morgan
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

RAS 323

Quote from: okie on February 13, 2009, 10:58:02 PM
Here's my thoughts. I think if you just have a few logs here and there it would probably suit you fine. That being said, milling truely is addictive and you probably wouldnt stop at a few logs and by the time you were done probably have replaced the motor with a good motor, built new tracks, added better guides and beefed up the carriage and such so... for not much more money you could get a proven low end mill from norwood or woodmizer or hudson and with that have better components and customer service/ troubleshooting help.
I am sure the mill will cut lumber but you will probably put money into it before you're done.
If I had seen this mill about a year ago I probably would have gotten it, glad now I didnt as I have a mill that suits me perfectly.
Just my $.02

Morgan

I was looking at this mill (on-line) and it looks just like the one Hudson's Sled Salvage sells on ebay (different color).

logwalker

More chinese junk, Harbor Freight throwaway. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone but that is how I look at it. Have a great day. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!