iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alcohol free gas

Started by D._Frederick, February 12, 2009, 07:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I found a distributor that I can buy 92 octane alcohol free gasoline. I plan on buying 25 gallons in a steel barrel that is air tight. How long will this gas stay good when stored in a cool place? Should I add stablizer?

The distributor is an hours drive away, unless my wife gets over busy with the Shindiawa, it will last a year.

Mad Professor

Before they went to ethanol additive here I brought a 55-gal drum and used it up in just over a year.  No problems that I could tell and I did not add stabilizer.

bandmiller2

Seems gasoline in bulk,metal,and sealed lasts quite well,I would still add some stabilizer.Keep it out of the sun the cooler the better.Mayby go for 6 mon. to start with if all seems well go longer.You can always use it in a tractor and get fresh nothing lost.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Mad Professor

AV gas will store even better, but it does have lead.

peter nap

If you store it in an airtight steel drum, it's gonna bulge the drum the first time it gets hot. It may rupture the drum (ask me how I know) :)

You have to vent it.

Don't use a one way vent like a foot valve. When it gets cool, it will collapse the drum (ask me how I know) 8)

Other than that, it stores just fine with a little Stabil.

Captain

I echo Peter's comments on the vent system, it is a must.

Captain

Night Raider

When the drum is full you shouldn't have any need for a vent, but when you get much air space the drum will start expanding and contracting.

beenthere

NightRaider
So, you are saying then that the fuel doesn't expand and contract, but just the air? ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

The fuel will expand and contract, but the vapors expand and contract much more. The more air space, the more vapors. So it seems more apparent on partly empty containers. A vent is gonna be needed anyway, so I guess it's a technical point.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Randy88

AV gas has a twenty year shelf life and is orderless, I fly airplanes, regular gas we've found have a six month shelf life and after that cause a lot of problems, I've been told its because of the additives they put in it to make it stink.   I'd deal with a filling station that sells quality fuel, reason being at the pump inspectors can inspect the product coming out of the hose, anything delivered off road theres never an inspection done on the product ever so if a fuel company has a product thats been tained or has a problem meeting quality they dump it and deliver it to an offroad user and its never tested again.  The stabalizer addative I've hear good and bad and have never used it we just try to keep fresh on hand.   IF it looks like we won't use it anytime soon we dump it into a vehicle and use it up.

D._Frederick

The gas I got was rated for marine use and for 2 cycle engines. I have used LL-100 for several years. The only problem was I ruined the cat muffler on my pole saw when I grabbed the wrong gas can.

Toolman

Peter nap,

How do you know? :D :D :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

arojay

I buy leaded, alchohol free, 111 ron snowmobile race gas in 19 liter(5 gal. US?) cans from a bulk fuel dealer where I buy my engine and hydraulic oils.  Maybe you can buy it in the smaller quantity as well.  I mix it down to about 94 or so.  I think Bailey's sells a tester that will tell you the alchohol content of your gas.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Thank You Sponsors!