iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can't pull starter cord

Started by dolittle, February 12, 2009, 02:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dolittle

What causes a saw to not be able to pull the starter cord out?  I have a NEW 346XPG that the cord is very hard to pull and stops about 1/3 out & then jerks the saw out of my hands.  If I take the plug out the rope pulls fine.  There is no compression release on the saw.  It does this even without the bar & chain.

I picked up the saw from my dealer 1-1/2 months ago & tried it by cutting the only available wood which was a rotten 1-1/2 branch and then it ran out of fuel the dealer had put in.  It was very cold out so I put the saw away until now.  I filled the tank and checked the bar oil which looked strange so I dumped it out and it seems to be cooking oil which I know can be used but I didn't know dealers were using it.  I filled it with bar oil & started the saw & tried cutting a chunk of fire wood but only burnt a notch.

I got out my glasses (I have poor vision even with glasses) and sure enough the dealer installed the chain backwards.  I inspected the saw & the chain catcher is all gouged up also.  I fixed the chain & now it won't start.  This has less than 10 minutes on it.  I live alone & no one has touched it.  I previously bought a saw from same dealer and had problems so this was a replacement.  It was to take a week to order but took a month and lots of excuses.  What's your take?

okie

Are you sure the dealer put 2 stroke mix in the saw??? sounds like the dealer is very ignorant, and I'd bet thats a possibility.
Sorry you're having so many problems with the saw.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

SwampDonkey

Interesting, I hope you solve it. I had one fellow that ran out of mix and instead of running into town figured straight gas was good that day.  :-X He tried to pull a fast one, and the dealer knew immediately the situation.   :P
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Any thing is possible .Could be the ignition for reasons unknown is firing way too early .I haven't a clue how that could happen .Could be the thing is flooding ,filling the cylinder full of fuel .

If that's the case it's next to impossible to roll an engne with a hydrastatic  lock on it .

If you remove the plug and roll it over and it blows a huge amount of fuel out the hole then it's flooding . This would indicate carb problems .

joe_indi

Quote from: dolittle on February 12, 2009, 02:19:56 PM
I picked up the saw from my dealer 1-1/2 months....... It was very cold out so I put the saw away until now.
Your saw is new. The engine will be a bit tight because of this, but,the chances are that the engine is even tighter because the saw has been sitting idle for such a long time.This could cause the two stroke oil to gum up inside the engine.
This means more resistance in the bearings and the cylinder.

Make sure that the engine switch is in the 'OFF' position when you do the following:
Pour  1/2oz. fuel  into the engine either through the spark plug hole or through the carb with the air filter removed.
Hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine a couple of times.This will loosen up the engine.
Now, hold the saw upside down, with the throttle fully open, crank the engine a couple of times.
This will get rid of the excess fuel that you had poured in.
Now, refit the spark plug, move the switch to 'On', 'Run' or 'Start' (whatever is marked on the switch).
One smart pull on the starter should get the saw started now.

Joe

ladylake

If it's not hydro locking as Al mentioned.  Some of these high compressing saws take a good firm pull to get started, a little too slow and they will kick back and jerk the cord out of your hand. Just normal on some saws, for sure on the hi performance ones,   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

I would take it back to the dealer hopefully theirs someone else their that knowes a little more.Some saws seem to have higher comp. than outhers and are hard to pull over.I put a new piston and rings in a husky 365 ,no blue button,when cold and i dropstart it all i get is one compression.After it has run it will start normally,its a strong running saw and never given any problems.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dolittle

Thanks for all the help guys.  I tried lots of tugging and after about 5 minutes is started moving.  I put it back together and it fired right up.  The bar oil must of been the new Eco friendly oil that I didn't know they sold.

chainspinrunner

Take off the starter mechanism. There is a spring loaded coil and wheel that the pull rope wraps around a plastic wheel. That wheel might be cracked or a tab could be broken. Check the rope, It can get wrapped around itself and lock up the pull cord. It is hard to tell without holding it in my hands but this is another idea to check before you go spending a lot of money on motorowork.
Grose

Sprucegum

For my own peace of mind, if it was my saw, I would find another dealer and get it checked over.

If there are no other dealers near by, find someone experienced with saws to look it over. A second opinion never hurts.

Thank You Sponsors!