iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I didn't hear that right . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, February 12, 2009, 02:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I have talk radio going in the shop most all the time, and they give local state national news on the halves. Could'a swore the guy just said the Texas Forest Service just acknowledged they found a sycamore with a XX' diameter.

I can't find the story anywhere on the news wires. I'm not gonna say the diameter I thought I heard because it ain't possible. But anyone hear anything about this newsworthy discovery?  ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dodgy Loner

For the state and national champion tree programs, the circumference of the tree is used rather than the diameter for the point total.  So if you heard a diameter that doesn't sound right, more than likely someone got it confused and it's actually supposed to be circumference.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

I'd go for the confusion between circumference and diameter too.

There is some Eastern Red Cedar on craigslist here that is being advertised as Aeronautical Cedar.  The guy is adament that this is what it is.  I think he has Aeronautical and Aromatic confused.  I'm being asked, as a third person, to give my opinion to the buyer, a neighbor.  I don' t know what to suggest as the price to offer for Aeronautical cedar. :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

Bet you're right. Makes sense too because  30'/3.1416 = 9½ diameter.

I wasn't paying much attention but got perked up  when I heard " . . . that the Texas Forest Service has confirmed the Sycamore has a diameter of 30 feet."  :o  ::)

The Big Tree Registry on the TFS website says "No Current Champ" for us, so I guess we're fixin to have one. From my quick look online the Nat'l champ is in Ohio and a scosh more than 11'.

TexasTimbers

I have to agree with Jeff; something out of this world so you can get your fair slice of the cosmic consulting fee. ;D

Dodgy Loner

9.5 feet sounds much more reasonable than 30.  I've measured one sycamore in the 9' diameter range.  It was in the White River National Wildlife in southeast Arkansas.  Some fish and wildlife officers stopped us and asked us a bunch of questions about what we were doing and why we were there.  I guess we looked suspicious with our tape measures and clinometers, like we were going to cut down the hollow giant or something ::)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

TexasTimbers

All I had to do was go to the website of the radio station. ::)

Probable State Champion Possibly the largest tree in Texas they are now saying.  I know it's a midget compared the redwoods and some others around the country but still, it's a whopper for this area. It's about an hour from us so we might have to go gawk at it soon.

I wonder if they've had time to put up the "No Chainsaws Allowed" sign yet?

Dave Shepard

I've been sawing sycamore lately, so it's come up in conversation a lot. This sycamore was mentioned to me not an hour ago. There are a couple around here that are easily in the 5'-6' range.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

I posted this one a couple and half years ago here on the forum. I said it was 4' dbh but, I went back to it week last to measure it again, because I wanted to ask these loggers if their machine would handle it. It measured closer to 5' I think. It's hard to tell just by myself becasue it's up on a slippery mound and I can't even walk around it to get a circumference. Need to take the wife with me and see if we can tag team it. You can't tell much in this picture, but the one on the right is the biggest one.

The owner of the logging company said he'll go with me to look at it. His guys were loading a huge red oak when I was talking to him and he nodded at it and said "we can take most anything around here." They've quit taking pulp and moved north of me about a half mile and are taking tie timber only now.

Tom

Just make sure you don't cut down a potential Champion. :P :)

DanG

Quote from: Tom on February 12, 2009, 02:52:27 PM

There is some Eastern Red Cedar on craigslist here that is being advertised as Aeronautical Cedar. 

I saw dat! :D  The true identity of this wood is still up in the air at this writing. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

TT,

We will have to have a pic of that champion sycamore, so go ahead and get your trip planned  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Tom on February 12, 2009, 08:46:16 PM
Just make sure you don't cut down a potential Champion. :P :)

I think we can rule that out after the latest discovery. These things are destined for the burn pile anyway. My neighbor has finally started clearing making good on his intent to replace the trees with cattle.

Quote from: WDH on February 12, 2009, 10:05:16 PM
TT, 

We will have to have a pic of that champion sycamore, so go ahead and get your trip planned  :).

I need to call that association and find out when public access will be allowed. Can't wait.

Tom

There are National Champions, State Champions, County Champions and the biggest tree in the city.  If you can get one of those titles assigned to your tree, you can get multiples of the price when you sell the boards if you market it effectively.  Size does matter if history is involved.  :D

TexasTimbers

Tom you may be the only man I have ever known who can make a relevant observation concerning size, and history. :D

Restoman

Quote from: TexasTimbers on February 12, 2009, 03:04:19 PM
Bet you're right. Makes sense too because  30'/3.1416 = 9½ diameter.

I wasn't paying much attention but got perked up  when I heard " . . . that the Texas Forest Service has confirmed the Sycamore has a diameter of 30 feet."  :o  ::)

The Big Tree Registry on the TFS website says "No Current Champ" for us, so I guess we're fixin to have one. From my quick look online the Nat'l champ is in Ohio and a scosh more than 11'.

How long were you guys going to go before you stopped and pondered the formula?

Circumference  is  Pie r squared

the diameter of a 30' is 6 feet not 9.5

beenthere

Whoops.. :)

Area = pie r squared

Circumference = pie d

(and I should review all the comments but.. didn't).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Restoman

TexasTimbers

Restoman,

First things first. We aren't talking about cake or pie. if we were talking about pie, a pie with a circumference of say 10" is equal to adding about a half an inch to the waistline if eaten in one single sitting.

Pi however is 3.1414 (close enough) and to solve for diameter you divide circumference by Pi .

Grits are an altogether different matter, and it's funny you should bring them up because Mrs. TT fixed me a heaping bowl  this a.m laden with a big dollup of butter, a few pibches of salt, and several generous shakes of pepper. beenthere I thought of you as I ate them; knowing you would have to settle for poridge or whatever it is y'all eat for breakfast up there in the Arctic circle. ;D

fishpharmer

Not to hijack the thread, fascinating about the a possible champion tree.

Tom, concerning the aeronatical cedar, I just remembered that the Bellanca Viking is an aircraft made with wood wings.
http://home.att.net/~vikingdrvr/AvConsumer.html

Or could they mean nautical cedar which might be Atlantic White Cedar often used in wooden yacht construction?

my $00.02
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

OK, throw away your diameter tapes. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 13, 2009, 05:30:38 PM
Or could they mean . . . .  Atlantic White Cedar often used in wooden yacht construction?

. . . . and on the left coast they prefer to build with Pacific Yew.

Far be it from me to stop a perfectly good hijacking. ;D

SwampDonkey

Northern white cedar used up here in the old canvass back river canoes. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nas

any clear white cedar I cut goes to cedar strip canoe builders.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!