iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to see a friend...

Started by tree-farmer, February 12, 2009, 08:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

I'm going to see an old friend next week. I would like to tell about this fellow, he has been through a lot. His name is Bela and is from Hungary, but how he got here is an interesting story.
Bela was found on the street as an infant in the later days of WW2. A family took him in and raised him. Bela says they kept him mostly for slave labor. When he turned 18 he had to serve 2 years in the military, during that time he worked as a border guard. This allowed him to learn where the weak points in the border fencing were located and upon getting out of the military he used that knowledge to dig under the fence in an isolated area. From there he walked across a mine field into Austria and received asylum. As he told me his story he said he knew his next step could be his last, but just wanted to be free of communism and would rather die than live there anymore.
He spent about 2 years in Austria studying English and trying to get to the US. He came to the US in about 1969 with a cardboard suit case and a desire to be free. I met him in 1974 while working in an aircraft machine shop. I was the new guy and he was the foreigner so we took up together and became friends. He met a girl one summer that was in the area on a visit to relatives and when she went back to Florida I would write letters to her for Bela as he dictated what to write. His spoken English was OK but writing was still a challenge at that point. Time passed and we went different directions but have kept in touch through the years. Some years back he owned his own machine shop with 20 employees, which is not bad for coming here with a cardboard suitcase.
He is one of the hardest working people I have ever known. In recent years his health has declined and in November he lost a leg to diabetes. He is now retired and living on a small farm with his wife and assorted critters.
This man is defiantly a hero of mine, and is proof of the how driven some people are to share in the American dream. We should count ourselves lucky to be here, without having to walk through a mine field go get here.
He is not exactly sure when he was born or exactly how old he is but the day he celebrates as a birthday is almost the same as mine, so we will get together for a meal and celebration of his life.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

ely

that is a cool story and sounds like a great friend, thanks for sharing it with us here.

Banjo picker

Good for you.  Go see him.  Its always a lot better to go see the old friends while they are still with us than wait too long.  I usually take a day every couple of months at least, and just go see the older folks I know.  They have a wealth of knowledge, and you never know when that visit will be the last one.  Enjoy the day.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Warbird

That is truly inspiring.  If you would, shake his hand for me?  One American to another, celebrating freedom and life.

Jeff

Yes, tell him all of the Forestry Forum would like to say hello. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

The most valuable thing you can offer another man is your time.  Good friends are hard to find.  I cherish the times I spend with mine and revel in the fact that you have found some too.  Having a good friend is nothing to treat lightly.  Good Show! :)

fishpharmer

Sounds like Bela has a good friend indeed.

My great grandmother was born in Hungary.  I can remember her telling me they got out before or when the communist took over. Not sure which.  I wish I had asked her more about it now.  She lived to the age of 94.

Treefarmer I hope your story here makes people, like myself, think about where their ancestors came from and why.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!