iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl or Echo?

Started by MN Ripper, February 11, 2009, 10:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Ripper

I hate asking this because I know the board gets thousands of posts on which saw should I buy-etc.  But I did a search and didn't turn up a ton of info on the Echo model.

Originally I was considering a MS390 but then a good friend of mine has been using a Echo CS-520 and really likes it and suggested switching over to the Echo brand.  That model is smaller than what I wanted but I saw Echo has CS-670&680(seem the same just different colors?) that seems comparable to the MS390.

I have two local dealers that sell both brands of saws, one says the Echo is better the other dealer says go with the MS390.  Neither have a CS-670 in the store, but can order one if I wanted it. 

The 5 year Echo warranty is appealing but it weighs more than the Stihl.  I know the Stihl MS390 is not a pro saw, but I don't know where the Echo sits.  The one dealer says he has a lot of tree services still buy the 390 even though its not a pro saw?

A google search turned up some comparisions between the Echo and some Husky XP saws and seemed to favor the Huskies but I didn't find any comparsions to Stihl saws and the Echo.  Was hoping maybe somebody here has used both and could add some input.

One other question that might help me decide is: Can a different clutch spur gear be swapped out on the MS390 to run my .325 chains and bars off my 028?  I know it comes setup for .375 but I saw the 026 specs said it can be used with either so how about this model? 
Echo CS-670, CS-330T, Stihl 028 WB

missourilogger

honestly i dont no much about echo but stihl or husky would be my choice.
i Was here

and here

DanG

I can only speak for the Echo.  I've had a CS-670 for several years now, and it is a fine, pro grade saw.  I originally made my choice based on the quality of the local dealer, but I have become an Echo fan.  The saw starts easy and runs strong, and has proved to be durable.  Given the choice between it and another brand's "homeowner" model, I'll take the Echo every time.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ladylake

Out of all my saws including Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Solo, Echo and Efco my CS510 is my favorite, it's light, built good, handles nice and has more grunt than a 50cc saw should have.  I have a older CS6700 which I did a muffler mod on that cuts almost as fast as my 044 Stihl and is a little lighter, built really well.  If you get any new saw make sure to set the high jet rich enough not to burn up, most are set to lean from the factory.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SwampDonkey

Husky dealers here also carry the Echo so that is probably why it is easier to find a comparison between those two brands. I can't say yeah or nay for echo chain saws. I have one fellow on my thinning crew that uses an Echo brush saw and now that the larger Husky brush saw is discontinued, the echo is the strongest saw out there for brush cutters. One of my guys is used to his heavy old Huskie, which he has cut 300 acres with by the way, and hates having to down grade to a lighter saw. It's going to cut into his production because those big but stems aren't going to be as easy to snip off. He still intends to use that old saw this season and has parts from 3 other saws to keep him going for awhile. He hardly ever has to clean the air filter and uses the cheapest of mix oil in it. A Sthil you have to clean the air filter after every 8-10 tanks of fuel, pretty much the same for Echo.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

I have a stihl 039 that is about 15 years old. I didn't buy it new, but It was barely used when I got it 12 years ago. Although not a pro saw it has never let me down, I use a 28" bar on it all the time and it cuts plenty fast. Also still starts easy and runs good, I replaced the muffler 1 time, really no other mechanical work. I use it a lot too. It was my main saw before I got a couple other, larger stihls.
  On the other side of the coin our stihl dealer also sells echo and he says that they are less popular but just as good, and I think he likes them actually a little better.
  BTW I would not use .325 chain, if anything I would get a sprocket for the other saw and use .375 all around. I use it on a 290, I'm sure that you'll be happier.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

MN Ripper

Well I'm glad I got more feedback than I thought I would about the Echo.  DanG what bar do you generally like running on this model Echo?  One dealer said go with the 20" and the other said 24". 

EricC why don't you like the .325 chain? 

thecfarm

I would not be too concerned about a long bar.I suppose you don't have any 3 foot trees to cut if you are going with that size saw?I have a 372XP and I only run an 18 inch bar on that.Just something that I prefer.I know others run 20 and 24 and would not run anything shorter.I would not run anything longer on a steady bases.Some don't like to bend over and I can understand that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Ripper, my 670 came with a 24" bar and it was well balanced with it.  I bought a 32" bar for some big stuff I was dealing with, and it handles it well, though it is a bit nose-heavy.  I managed to damage the 24" along the way, so all I have now is the 32".  Frankly, I don't notice any major difference in performance with the longer bar, unless I'm cutting something bigger than 24", in which case the 32 is a definite advantage. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ladylake

On stock saws around 57cc and below cut the fastest with a 325 setup, more than 57cc they should have enough power to pull the faster chain speed of the 3/8 chain. The Stihl 029 and MS290 saws I've run are doggy with the 3/8 and cut way better with the 325, not to say they don't cut with the 3/8 just not as fast.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ErikC

I like the 375 because it all comes on one reel, and I can get full skip, chisel bit. It cuts way fast, even on the 290. I always assumed the 325 was weaker, but may be wrong on that. I also thought it cut a little narrower kerf, in softwoods that causes quite a bit of needless friction. Just the way I do things I guess.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

MN Ripper

Well just to follow up I ended up going with the Echo CS-670.  Which was hard to get because Echo has introduced the CS-680 for 2009 and all the local dealers were out of 670's, but I found a dealer in Oregon that had 2 left.  Looks like the same saw but according to the Echo "Signature" dealer here it has many changes to the piston design, 1 large ring instead of 2 small ones, new cylinder jug design, just to name a few.  I hate being the first on new technology so that's why I looked for a 670. 

Its suppose to arrive later this week, can't wait to put it to work.  My firewood pile for next year has to grow a lot so I should have no trouble breaking it in.  As long as I can get some tree services out to dump off logs this summer, my pile left to buck is getting small at the moment.

Looks like the 028 woodboss will get a break in the action.  Not sure what I'll do with it, I probably just hang on to it for a while and see how it goes.

trapper

my cs670 works very good.  only negatives for me is for me the on off switch is not handy and be careful when filling bar oil to clean sawdust away.  seems to collect sawdust around oil filler cap more than on my stihl o25. I  like the extra manual oiler in addition to the automatic oiler.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DanG

Congrats Ripper!  I think you've made a good choice, and I'm confident that you'll be happy with it.  Along with the things Trapper said, I had a little problem with screws coming loose.  It might pay you to put a dab of Loctite on the screws that hold the cowling together.  That's the only problem I've had with mine after almost 6 years of use.

ladylake

Make sure to set the carb for your gas, and temp that your running. Most new ones need the limiter caps pulled and set a little richer. With the carb set right the CS670 should last a long time.   Steve

MN Ripper

Trapper good point,  I've never had a saw with a toggle switch before but I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I thought the all in one switch on my Stihl was odd but got used to it after a few times.

DanG thanks for the loctite tip.  Easier to do while the saw is still clean.  I had to loctite the one screw on my 028's bumper spike.  It always came out at the worst time and I never stock metric screws in my nuts and bolts bins but loctite cured that problem.  You initial input about your dealer sounded kinda like my own Echo dealer experience.  My Echo dealer sells many 2 cycle saws and equipment: Stihl, Jonserd, & Shindiwia too, but he just seemed to have best input on the Echo and just kept coming back to it.  He's been around a long time and services lots of equipment so I value his input.  He could of easily tried to convince me of a lot more expensive saw in one of his other brands but he didn't.  He'll definitly get all my business for chains, oil, bars, sharpening, etc.  Wish he still would of had a 670 in stock.  I would like a small saw someday, maybe I'll get a CS-370 or 400 from him if this Echo is to my liking.

Steve your comment seems to be what I've been reading all over the web-to lean from factory.  That's the one downside to not getting it local is that the shop won't dial it in for me.  But I've been adjusting carbs on all my other saws so I don't mind.  Sounds like the caps don't give to much of fight to pull off.

chevytaHOE5674

I have no complaints about my two CS360-T's, other than WAY lean from the factory. Had to pull the caps and retune to get them to run properly.

SwingOak

I have a CS-300 which has worked well for years, except now something is screwy with the carb and it won't run right. For the money, it's been a pretty good saw.

Although I've decided I'm a Husqvarna fan, you can't go wrong with a Stihl either.

Thank You Sponsors!