iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

payment in lumber!

Started by krusty, February 11, 2009, 03:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

every once in a while someone has a free couple of logs they want cut up. First guy says I get half of the resulting wood. No issue.

Second guy comes along and asks what would be fair. I am curious as to how you split it in the end in such scenarios?

:P

Jeff

Others will jump in and answer, but you might want to use the search and search for:
sawing on shares

There have been many conversations over the years on that that you can reflect upon. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

when they ask me to saw on the halves i always pick the logs until they are gone. meaning they pick one i pick one.......
then i paint the ends of thiers with one color paint and mine with another and put mine in my pile.
i saw thiers as quick as possible so they can get it and get gone.

MikeH

Quite frankly most of the logs I custom saw are not worth half the wood. Like 80% of them I'dd guess . All depends on the logs! At least in this neck of the woods.

Ironwood

I am with MikeH on this one. It would have to be a VERY nice log to make that worth it. I would most likely send them to a friend w/ a mill, or just ask to buy it outright.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Frickman

I have never taken payment in lumber. I deposit dollars into my bank, not lumber.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

redprospector

If they were really nice log's (which most aren't), and I had a place to go with the lumber, I might do it for 60%, but probably not.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

CLL

I sawed some cedar on shares one time. Nice looking logs 12-16"  and 8' long. I did it on 60-40 and still ended up with more in it then I could sell the lumber for. Logs had some dry rot(didn't see from outside) and banged 2 blades, what a waste of time.
Too much work-not enough pay.

ErikC

I have done it from time to time on small jobs only, and not unless I have a project in mind for the lumber. Never when I would try and sell my share to make money on the job. It can be a good way to get a couple thousand board feet on a weekend, but you'll go broke fast trying to make any money this way, IMO.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

woodmills1

I don't pay for logs

I would only cut on shares If i already had a contract for lumber and could not get the logs any other way.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

It is a gamble any way you look at it, but so is any other way of aquiring logs.  In other words, there is some risk no matter where they came from, such as metal or rot or just too much tension to deal with.

When I was active, my business was a mix of custom sawing and selling lumber from my own logs.  My criteria for sawing on shares was that the lumber value needed to be more than twice my sawing rate...significantly more.  IOW, I wouldn't do 50/50 on pine, but I would do it for cherry, etc.

Sometimes it is good business to tell someone, "It is normally against my policy, but I can make an exception just this once." ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

okie

If you need the lumber for personal use and dont have logs for yourself then I'd say do it. Otherwise think long and hard about the shares. I am currently cutting on halves in order to build my house. For half the lumber all I am doing is sawing, he is getting the logs on the mill, and offbearing. On some species he said in exchange I can have all the trees I want for myself but on those I am felling and skidding myself also. I dont know if this is a great deal or not but I'm certainly getting alot of lumber for my time.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

backwoods sawyer

I get enough fiber in my diet with out eating wood.
If the logs were high end, I would consider a 60/40 split. If they feel the wood is more valuable then it is, mill it up and let them sell it.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beav39

Quote from: MikeH on February 11, 2009, 05:40:04 PM
Quite frankly most of the logs I custom saw are not worth half the wood. Like 80% of them I'dd guess . All depends on the logs! At least in this neck of the woods.
same for me
sawdust in the blood

ARKANSAWYER

I do it quite a bit.  For pine and cedar I just saw and put the boards in two piles.  When I get done I make sure each pile has the same volume of lumber then I tell the guy to pick his pile.  If I ruin a blade he pays for it with cash or lumber.
 In hardwood I saw so that at least a 6x8 tie is the end result.  The side wood is put into two piles as it comes out.  The piles are then leveled out by volume and the guy picks his pile and I keep the ties.  If the guy wants all 1x6's or something like that then we pull those into his pile and he gets them.  They pay for runied blades.
 Now you must remember I have a good retail sales market and most wood will bring me over $0.55 bdft so I get my sawing cost of $0.25 bdft back.  When sawing we just put the lumber in piles with out respect of grade.  One board here, next one there.  They pick their pile.  Most of the time they show up and look at the wood and just end up paying the sawing bill and taking all of it.  
ARKANSAWYER

TheWoodsman

Either coat the ends to determine ownership beforehand or go through the time-consuming process of "you select one then I'll select one".  Cutting on shares can work if you have an outlet for the lumber (so you can make money off the deal).  However, if you are just in the custom cutting business and don't want to be stuck with the extra work of stacking and drying the wood then it's not so good.  As a previous poster mentioned, you cannot deposit your share in your bank account.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

gizmodust

I'll poke my head up for all to shoot at on this one.  I've taken on a custom job with a local YMCA.  The offer of 1/2 the boards and all the slab wood was agreeable to both sides.  They provide the lift and some help.  The boards are stacked as they come out of the logs and the slab wood is deposited in my trailer.  Every couple of days, the wood is split.   Now, the logs are black walnut, cherry, hickory and white oak.  Pretty much of it is cut 8/4 and better.  They wanted another avenue for the wood other than campfire wood.  My market for woodworkers looking for something special keeps my stock in demand.  If you have a market for it, or deposit it in the bank makes that decision for you.  Just my $0.02.
Always liked wood with alot of character

Thank You Sponsors!