iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garn or Switzer owners?

Started by moosehunter, February 11, 2009, 01:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I have been researching Garn and Switzer wood boilers.
Both use a secondary burn chamber that burns up the smoke and creosote. Both use LARGE water storage to store heat. You build a fire in these things, it burns very hot and the heat is stored in the water until it is needed.
The Garn advertises a single burn on all but the coldest days. You watch your temp guage and build a fire when neccesary.
Switzer is a small operation in Dundee NY ( 25 miles from me) and works on the same principle.

Any Forumites have one of these?

The Alternative methods forum seems to have turned into an E-Classic forum, some talk about another brand would be refreshing ;D
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

logwalker

I would talk about my Tarm Solo Plus 40 but it never has any problems. Those E-Classics are really something.   ::) ::) Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

bull

I have  Newyorker indoor boiler, only issue I have is it can make to much heat if I don't pay attention to it.. My brother has the E classic I have been baby sitting it for a week tonight is the last night. What a Pain in the A$$.......

thecfarm

No idea about either one.Did do a search on the Garn and that thing holds some water.But that is good.I just have a Heatmor.I know what is said about emissions with it.But the 2-3 brush fires I have each year put more emissions into the air than the OWB does. As long as I can burn brush,I will keep on using it.I did notice they have induced fans on the Garn.Could found no search on the Switzer.I myself like the fans.The wood just sits there and waits for the next cycle.I have opened the door on mine,when I first got it, and thought more than once the fire was out.When the fans come on,that really brings the fire back to life.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom Sawyer

Sorry, can't tell you anything about Garn or Switzer, but I do love my Portage and Main OWB.  After reading the threads about the e-classics on here I sure am glad I didn't have to worry about emissions regulations.  I personally don't worry too much about pollution from my furnace.  I am burning slabs from my sawmill and figure that the emissions from the slabs amount to less CO2 than those same trees consumed before they were cut down, so I figure that my OWB is at least carbon neutral if not carbon negative.

Tom

jdtuttle

I don't know much about the garn but I've seen two Switzers installed last year. One is heating two houses and sits in a 16'x20' building. The other is in a donkey barn that's about 200' from the home. This last one is about a 4,000 sq. ft. house still under construction. The way there designed is amazing. He sizes them so you only need to fire them every other day. They burn real hot, with the blower on they really roar. I was there when he did the initial start up on one. He fired it up & had it roaring in just a few minutes. To test it's safety shut down he blocked of the exhaust. I was amazed at how quickly the fire settled down. When he opened it back up it took right off again. He also said that after the water heats up and it shuts itself down for a day or two there will still be hot coals left for the next time you fire. Saves on starting a new fire every time. It also burns clean & you don't get alot of creosote build-up (black smoke). If I can convince the wife I will have one in a year or two. If you know the Halstead boys in Owego they are heating their sawmill, kiln two or three houses with theirs.
Jim
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!