iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red maple

Started by king_buba, July 31, 2003, 11:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_buba

My dad wants to know what red maple is good for.  He had a 5acre woodlot that needs to be thinned badly.  The trees are all straight as an arrow, just too crouded.  Is it worth anything but firewood?

Jeff

our company would buy it if its 12 inches and up DBH and use it as we would aspen. It has a value as boxing materials. We are short on logs so prices are at a premium right now.

If your dad is interested in selling have him call billsby lumber and ask for Jake or Ray. 989-539-9842 or use the find a sawmill link to the left and search michigan to send them an email.

Red Maple, or as we refer to it, soft maple, in my opinion, is an often under utilized wood. It is often mentioned as a less desirable species.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Go to your local Lowe's or Home Depot and take a look at those painted cabinets in the kitchen area.  Chances are, they are made from soft maple.  

Soft maple does have a grade market and is about the same as tulip poplar.  Some of the clear finish may make it into low end maple furniture and cabinets.

Low grade maple can be made into railroad ties.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Red Maple is one of our most versatile trees. It is an important food for wildlife, especially deer, and adds color to the landscape in both spring and fall.

Long treated with distain it is now finding favor among instrument makers and other wood users as previously mentioned.

The Witte Sugar Bush is all red maple and they make excellent syrup from it every spring.

I sell a lot of it mixed in with other species and have had no problem selling it for sawlogs and pulpwood.

~Ron

king_buba

Hey Jeff, and anyone interrested...   The lot is in DeWitt Michigan, a little north of lansing.  E-mail me if u need to.

1)  Aprox. Prices?  We'll be measureing some to get an avereage on tuesday.

2)  Do you take smaller trees and limbs for pulpwood or anything?  (mainly to get rid of the brush!)

3) Is anyone interrested in actual brush?  I doubt it but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks
Joe

Thank You Sponsors!