iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

disengage pto

Started by first shirt, February 09, 2009, 07:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

first shirt

I have a M14 Foley Belsaw which is powered by a Massey Ferguson 135 tractor.  I would like to be able to disengage the PTO remotely or from my sawing position.  Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could fabricate that I could attach to the tractor which would disengage the pto shaft, in turn stopping the saw from spinning?  Thank you.

logwalker

Norm's 50 caliber. Just kidding. I would use a overhead telegraph rope through pulleys. I use a couple to run the clamp on my older Woodmizer. Saves me a thousand steps a day. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

shinnlinger

I saw a guy why used a piece of 1-1/2 or 2 inch pvc that he put over the PTO knob that ran over the back next to the seat so he could disengage his pto powered log spliter (the old rip your arm off, cone type)  DOnt know if that is enough range for you or not, but I like Logwalkers idea too.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

pierre

do you have a hydraulic pto or mechanic pto ? i run my m-14 sawmill with a international b-250 for a long time, but this summer, i will run it with our ''new'' massey 175 1975. we have a hydraulic pto on it and i would like to know when i will disengage it (or start the engine) if the saw could spin because of the cold oil or anything else. i dont like the feeling of the hydraulic pto, i more like the sound of ''grreichiineckk'' of something mecanic. I think my pto hydraulic brake is in bad shape.  
so, for the disengagement of the pto, if its hydraulic, you dont need a really strong set-up because its more easy to move the lever. But if it is mechanic, do it strong.
solutions : cables, like logwalker wrote.///  choke pull off for the stop of the engine, but the tractor will really shake, i dont think its good.
I never have any bad time with the sawmill, but at each time that i want stop the saw, fast or not, i think the same things then you. The biggest problem is  we want to use the tractor away.
I will read this subject with curiosity for a while, thank you !!!!

pigman

The 135 Massey has a mechanical lever to disengage the PTO.  If the there is a lot of torque on the PTO because of a problen with the saw it will be extremely difficult to disengage the PTO. If you want to disengage to PTO with no load on the shaft, then the suggestions already given should work. :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

bandmiller2

FS,does your MF135 have a two stage clutch,if so run a cable to the clutch and an over center lever near the sawyers box.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shinnlinger

What about taking an old truck transmission or even better a cabin cruiser boat foward /reverser box and putting it between the mill and the PTO?  You could slip the tranny in neutral when needed perhaps a lot easier than making it to the tractor itself
Shinnlinger

jason.weir

how about something like this - wonder if it would disengage under power??

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009021219470568&item=3-968-PTO

-Jason

Jeff

Jason, that looks like it goes in a hydraulic system and gets fed oil from the system for lubrication.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shinnlinger

My new idea is to have a belt run between the PTO shaft from the tractor and the drive shaft for the mill and you tension it with a lever and idler pulley.

But my newer idea is still use the truck tranny but keep the clutch also and mount that to a PTO shaft which stays with the mill.  That way you could gear change if you needed to for hard wood or whatever but you could have a lever on the clutch.

Shinnlinger

bandmiller2

First shirt,run a cable down from the clutch pedal through a pulley to the sawyers box,hook it to a lever when over center it releases the clutch and PTO.The over center will hold it released.Don't rely on it when your working on the saw blade shut the tractor down. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

When i first started with the 44" flattop mill I ran it of a 35 fergy what i did was drill a hole through the top of the  clutch lever then ran a rope through the streering wheel then bach over the top of the mill then if i needed to disengage the clutch id just pull down on the rope it worked well for me mate ;) ;D  ;D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!