iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Build or Buy

Started by bobandhorses, February 09, 2009, 05:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobandhorses

Im want to cut logs . What would be better to build a homemade mill or buy one ?? I dont want to spend a fortune. I bought some plans to two diffrent homemade mills. But now I think that buying one might be better. A used one that is home made ive been told that it is just someones junk .   I would really like a circle Saw that would run off the pto of a tractor  have  plenty of them .   It seems eveyone use to have one in there back yard but now they are gone and rusted away . What to do.   ?????? Does any one have a thought?

shinnlinger

Bob,

This was a question I asked myself because I like to weld things.

I would say if you up for it,  Have no pressing needs for a mill, are retired or unemployed, have a decent shop with the tools and ability to fabricate steel and a decent junl pile to pick from you may be onto something .  If any of the above are not the case  I would think you could find a used mill that would probably be less $ in the end and you be would be happier with the performance.

I bought a used mill and have been pleased with my decision.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

MaddiesDad

What's your budget?  What's the goal on output?  Are you looking for hobby/income? 
Circle or bandmill? 

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)  I see the bugs allready bitten are you looking at trees and seeing boards yet  ;) :D :D dont worry it happens to me every day mate  :D :D :D 8)

Ive had all types of mills home made Csms and Circs and a small manual Band mill  im on my 6th sawmill and still have 4 of them  ;)  :) :) ;) :D ;D ;D ;D   Id go a circ mill  ;) if you have a tractor with forks and space  ;) ;D ;D or a small portable bandmill if you dont have any or limited log handeling gear for a start. It all depends on alot of things which is the best way to go Mate

Like the old saying there is two ways to skin a cat the easy way and the hard way . Luckly ive tryed both ways and dont rekomend the latter mate ;) :D :D :D

I agree with Bob but like Maddiesdad said we need more info mate  ;) ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bobandhorses

Thanks for the advice I have about 2500 dollars to spend on a mill I have a shop to build one and all. But not a lot of time I have an unlimited amount of logs to cut that need cutting and really would like to get started before the hot weather kicks in .  Ok know anything more it would be very apprceiated thanks.

Tom

There is a lot more to building a mill than meets the eye.   I'm speaking more of line-up and stoutness.  The research and development has already been done by most manufactures.

If you want to saw now, I would recommend that you buy a mill that you can afford and get started.  You won't have a mill that will produce like you want, perhaps, but it will provide you with the Research and Development that you will need to make the mill you desire.  Between the knowledge you gain from the mill and the offering of advice you will get from the Forum, you should end up with a good mill that will accomplish what you want.

Dan_Shade

Do you have any production expectations?  with a small mill, production is very slow, it's easy to end up spending all day sawing up 200bf of lumber with a small mill.

Also, do you want a bunch of logs sawn up, or do you want to operate a mill?  If it is the former, finding a portable sawyer to come in to your site may be your best option, and would most likely give you the biggest bang for your $2500.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

york

Hi,
I would not build a mill-would cost more than you think....and take more time than you realize...

I had a circle mil,that i sold about 12 years ago-the guy who wanted it,asked if i would finance it?? I said sure,0% interest for two years-He has my mill,he is making lumber,he built his house and barn and we are both,happy.....

Look around,there are more out there like me.....Bert
Albert

bandmiller2

Bob,If your somewhat skilled in working with metal ,have the shop and tools,and enjoy building things and a challenge go for it.If your impatient , hurry jobs, and have to buy all the components new you would be better off finding a used mill.The most bang for your milling buck is a used handset circular mill,but that usally entailes alot of work and a permenant site for the foundation.I bought a complete circular mill with good diesel power plant for $500.00 required alot of restoring and rewooding but I have something that will cut what I roll on it,and outlast me.Ask around their are many old mill laying fallow around the countryside.You could surely find a used belsaw for less money than you have alloted and you have the power plant with your tractor.Don't rush into this building your own is really only practical if you already have the major componants and the skill to do it right.Frank C. Don't be afrade to ask anything their is much help here if you ask.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bobandhorses

Thanks for all the advice everyone I really do appreciate it . I think I like the idea of getting a older mill and maybe fixing it up a bit learning how to operate it and then build my own. I have the skill to do it thats not a problem just knowing how it works and looking at pictures some times just dont cut it.
I had a mill come out and cut some wood a couple of years ago. A local guy he was real nice and did a great job  We cut almost 8,000 Bf in a few days he had a circle saw. He really knew what he was doing. I help move boards and run the edger it was great we and my crew of guys worked our buts off.  Now I don't expect that but if I could cut a bit it  would be wonderful I enjoy it so much.
I spend my days here  in the winter cutting fire wood, and eyeing up the trees that would make great lumber, some I know are way to big to even cut with my saw and I wouldn't be able to even move them but there are plenty more that could be thined out. Either way I will work on looking for a mill that is my next quest.
So if you hear of any or spy one that maybe sitting in someones shed rusting away let me know Thanks.

ErikC

Keep an eye on the for sale section here. Also try sawmill exchange.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

fishpharmer

I think everyone gave wonderful advice to bobandhorses.  You are wise to consult with the ForestryForum.  This is a great place.

Quote from: bobandhorses on February 09, 2009, 05:15:49 PM
Im want to cut logs .

You already answered your question in your first post.  You didn't say, you want to build a mill and it would be nice to have lumber.

Being a homebuilder of a sawmill, which after three years is still not cutting logs.  I would offer my humble opinion.

BUY A MILL!

I have always like the idea of having a sawmill.  The fascination with sawmill began when I was a kid and went to pickup boards from the little circle mill not far from where I now live.  We used fresh cut whiteoak to build horse and cow fences.  You could nail thru the "green" lumber.  Dried oak had to be drilled.

Anyway life got in the way of a sawmill. Don't think I seriously considered a sawmill until soon after hurricane Katrina came through MS and my farm.

I had fences, barns and sheds seriously damaged from Katrina.  I needed lumber to rebuild. 
I considered buying a mill  but I didn't think at the time I could justify it.   I did some internet searches and somehow missed forestryforum.   Found the Bill Rake plans and ordered them.  I thought hey this looks easy enough but I should make it big and better.  My second mistake after not buying a mill.

Not sure how I thought i would make it better since I have zero sawmill experience. 
So build I did.  I had an engine, and a few other parts and a shop with a welder.  Not really a metal working shop.  When I finished I moved it from the shop to its present location by my rather large collection of logs.  I cut up maybe three small pine logs less than 12"  I had rushed some of the final and important details, such as the blade guides.  I got a few nice boards.  My first big log, maybe 24" diameter pine the blade dove and got stuck.  I put if off til tomorrow.  Well then fish spawning began and my world revolves around that.  So it got put off.  Any way after a few false starts and feeble attempts the sawmill was nearly forgotten.  I have lots of excuses. :-[ :-[

I probably have less than $1500 in the mill so far.  Cost was more important in the beginning, I was trying to recover from Katrina.   Now I have so much time in the thing I don't know if I can give up.

If I had bought a mill and cut all my hurricane logs and all the free logs offered to me I would have more than paid for a new mill.  Most of my logs rotted away.  A real waste.   :(

I like growing and building things, now I need lumber, so persist I will. 

If you want to cut logs buy yourself a nice simple, ready to use sawmill. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sparky

I just checked the Sawmill Exchange (http://www.sawmillexchange.com/circula2.htm) and there are (11)  Bellsaw sawmills listed for $2200 to $3000. That pretty much nails to typical selling price. I bought two Bellsaws somewhat recently for $750 each, but they needed some work. They are a good, basic, mill and lend themselves to be made portable if you prefer to avoid a stationary setup. The arbor on a Bellsaw runs under the carriage making the 5 foot width much less than a mill with a typical husk arrangement. They are a good starter setup and you can expect to get your investment back if you decide to move up to something else.

Will in MN
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

fishpharmer

I forgot one thing.

When I get my mill cutting well and I have a stack of lumber, I am gonna tell everyone they should build their own sawmill. ;D ;D 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!