iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 460 info

Started by missouri_logger, February 09, 2009, 04:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missouri_logger

i am looking to buy a 460 stihl chainsaw i hear alot about them having tons of power so tell me what you think about them i need the info before i buy one thanks for everythingbefore thanks

chevytaHOE5674

I have like 5 or 6 of them, and I love them. Anything specific you would like to know?

Ooo' yeah get one before they are gone in 2010. I plan on stashing one or two new ones away this summer.

Frickman

I've run saws and cut timber a long, long time, and the Stihl 460 is the best saw I've ever run, period.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ErikC

I have several, 460 is my favorite. I also have an 044 and 066, with the 460 I don't really need the other two anymore. Firefighters and loggers around here all like 'em a lot. They're in every woods rig I know.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Arich

I carry a 460mag in every morning, everytime i tried it with something else ive been disappointed or p$%^# off. Best saw in the woods.

Ed

I don't think you will be dissapointed with a 460. Put a "dual port" muffler cover on it so it breathes better and make sawdust!
Check into getting the wrap handle version, it comes with the large double felling dawgs bigger oil pump.

Ed

L. Willey

the 460 is my favorite all around saw.

sawguy21

Don't concern yourself with the full wrap 'west coast' handle unless you are planning to drop trees over 30"dbh. The 460 will easily handle a bar that long.
Don't go any bigger unless you really need it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

I love the 3/4 wrap with a 20-24" bar. Makes felling from either side a breeze.

Banjo picker

I too am in the market for another saw.  My Husky went to the shop Monday, and I think even if it comes out, another saw is in the cards in the near future.
Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 09, 2009, 04:12:00 PM
I have like 5 or 6 of them, and I love them. Anything specific you would like to know?

Ooo' yeah get one before they are gone in 2010. I plan on stashing one or two new ones away this summer.

Why is this saw being discontinued? 
Does anybody out here have any thing negative to say about the 460?  Just trying to get a balanced perspective.  What should I expect to pay for one?  The Stilh dealer here in Iuka don't cater to much more than the smaller saws.  So he will have to order anything I might want.  Just need a price range.

I was thinking of putting about a 24" bar on the next saw.  The husky runs a 20" and sometimes I need just a little more.  The husky took a highaitus right in the middle or rather near end of felling a large dead red oak, and I had to finish it with the little trimming saw.  Made me a little nervous.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Banjo picker on February 11, 2009, 09:38:57 AMWhy is this saw being discontinued?

2010 brings in new emission regulations for chainsaws. So most saws that we buy today won't meet the new standards (except the new strato charged 441). That's why I plan to stockpile a few.

I have nothing negative to say about the 460, they are a great all around saw. You should expect to pay over 700 for one new depending on your dealer. The 460 will pull a 24" bar easily.

Banjo picker

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 11, 2009, 10:03:39 AM
Quote from: Banjo picker on February 11, 2009, 09:38:57 AMWhy is this saw being discontinued?

2010 brings in new emission regulations for chainsaws. So most saws that we buy today won't meet the new standards (except the new strato charged saws like the 361, and 441). That's why I plan to stockpile a few.

I have nothing negative to say about the 460, they are a great all around saw. You should expect to pay over 700 for one new depending on your dealer. The 460 will pull a 24" bar easily.

Thanks  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ErikC

I think more like 800 around here. I run a 36" bar from time to time and it does fine. But I think 28" is the perfect match for balance. It screams through softwood with that one.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Banjo picker

I just came back from our Stilh dealer :D :D :D .  I did finally get him to geve me a price on a 460 with a 24" bar, He said it would be a little over 900 bucks.
Quote from: ErikC on February 11, 2009, 10:53:52 AM
  I think more like 800 around here. I run a 36" bar from time to time and it does fine. But I think 28" is the perfect match for balance. It screams through softwood with that one.

I got him to let me look in his spec book, it should scream with a 24 or so bar.  If I rember right Stihl said it would take up to a 32 could have been more.

I took the last 4 page flyer, going to get some more any day.  He really would like for me to just buy one of the smaller saws he has in stock.  I believe I will try to located the next closest dealer.  Tim

chevytaHOE5674

I stopped at my dealer this morning and a 460 with 24" bar is 755 OTD.

ENTS

2 yrs. ago I bought a 460 to back up my 044.  I have run 1-2 tanks a day thru it, averaging 4-5 days a week (flip flop working with the 044).  90% of my cutting is pine for OSB with the rest hard woods for fire wood.  I put a d.p. cover on it and run a 20" and 25" bar (runs with a lot more gusto with that d.p. cover).  Absolutely no regretes on that saw.  I'd buy another if I had the need.  Now if I could get my hands on another 044 -----

Great saw, happy sawing,

Later,
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

sawmilllawyer

i think I have had my MS 460 Mag for two years, when I got it I put a brand new  25" bar and chain on it. Currently, run 3/8", .063 guage with 72 links. It has the grunt to pull that set up through a 30' red oak tree. I have been very satisfied with the raw power of the saw. And because my MS 361 runs .063 guage chain and bars and i can switch them around.

Tim the Stihl literature states that the 460 can handle up to a 32" bar and chain. Have'nt tried that yet, bit have been thinking about spending the coin.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Banjo picker

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on February 11, 2009, 11:48:04 PM

Tim the Stihl literature states that the 460 can handle up to a 32" bar and chain. Have'nt tried that yet, bit have been thinking about spending the coin.

I believe thats the saw I want.  I have been making it with a 20" hushy that really should only be a 18 so the 460 with its 6 hp should make a 24 sing.  Tim

OneWithWood

I have a 32" bar on my 460.  Does just fine.  The 460 is my primary felling saw.  I use my 441 for bucking and trim.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ErikC

Quote from: ErikC on February 11, 2009, 10:53:52 AM

I was in the saw shop for some things today and noticed the price. $949.99 with B & C. Must of been thinking of when I bought mine a couple years ago, sorry. Still a great saw though.

Banjo picker

I just bought me one!!  :) Went yesterday to check on my Husky thats in a small local shop.  He had not done anything  on it.  I drove to Corinth (aboaut 20 miles) and got him the ring he said might fix it.  So i got on line and found all the dealers within about 50 miles.  The one in Belmont was the first I called He said 785 tax and all.  I drove over boaught the saw with a 20 inch bar and chain and got a 36" bar as well for $839.49.  Now I need a chain for the 36 and I belive I will be in business.  Only will put on the 36 when I really need it. ;)  Now I am going to eat a sandwich and go lay down a few..  Tim 8)

ErikC

It oughtta pull that 20" bar pretty good. :o Congrats on a great saw, hope you like it as well as we talked about it :D

Banjo picker

Quote from: ErikC on February 20, 2009, 03:46:46 PM
  It oughtta pull that 20" bar pretty good. :o Congrats on a great saw, hope you like it as well as we talked about it :D

Oh it does every thing yall said and more 8) 8) 8) .  Back in my younger days dad ran McCullochs .  So when i moved out I got me one too.  Then I believe I went through three polands then went to Husky mainly because my cousin was a dealer for a while.  I like the Husky , but its down right now and don't know if it will ever make it back.  I do have a small Stihl, but I ain't never ever run a saw with the ump that that 460 has.. I am still on a high from running it.   ;D  Tim

chevytaHOE5674

The 460 is a fun saw to run. I have one that is ported, jug was milled a bit, and the muffler opened up. It puts a smile on everybodys face after they run it.

missouri_logger

what did you open up on your muffler and is there any aftermarket muffler to be bought for them thanks

chevytaHOE5674

I added a dual port muffler cover, and opened up the stock port. Go to your dealer and order a dual port front cover, retune the carb and see how you like it.

Thank You Sponsors!