iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shrub Identification

Started by Cedar Eater, July 30, 2003, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedar Eater

I've been searching the Internet trying to find an online guide that specializes in shrubs. I've got a shrub with spherical juicy red berries growing all over the swampy areas of one of my woodlots in Alcona County, MI and I'm having no luck identifying what it is. I tasted one and it was semi-sweet and had five small yellow seeds in it. I want to find out if it would be good for jelly or wine. The leaves are oblong, smooth edged and leathery.

I've found the National online PLANT database and that was a bust. I've eliminated currants, bayberries, gooseberries, russian and autumn olives and a host of others. The Internet seems to be great for directing me to Amazon.com to buy a field guide that may or may not have what I need, but lousy for actually finding an online guide that works backwards from berry color.

Does anybody know of a comprehensive online guide to shrubs that might help me narro this down? If not, can you suggest any berry names that I could search on?

Cedar Eater
Cedar Eater

Jeff

Cedar eater did you forget about our plant I.D. section? Go take a picture.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedar Eater

QuoteCedar eater did you forget about our plant I.D. section? Go take a picture.

I was really hoping for an online guide and I thought the Plant ID section was a "Stump the Stars" where I should already know the answer.

Oh well. I'll get a picture and post it there. I cut a sprig off, so I'll photo that.

Cedar Eater
Cedar Eater

Jeff

QuoteStump the Stars"

har, thats pretty funny. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!