iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sinking Boats

Started by Radar67, February 07, 2009, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Now that I have your attention, anybody got any tips for repairing thumb sized holes in an aluminum boat? JB Weld?, two part marine epoxy? Welding is not an option, can't find anyone who can do it. It is very thin, not the heavy .125 like used on duck boats.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

JB Weld is a good option, use it with a decent size patch. I have found it does not work well as a plug by itself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

I was looking for something to patch the roof of my travel trailer recently. The RV place had some pieces of alum. with adhesive on them. About 4x6". Maybe stick one of these inside and spread JB WEld or epoxy on the outside ?

I've seen people just fiberglass the whole thing. This was because they live near the ocean and made the mistake of putting 'anti-fouling' paint (which has copper in it) on the boats.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Radar
Unload those cannons when in an aluminum boat...hard to patch those big holes... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

Someone patched a couple of holes on this one with fiberglass. Some held, others didn't. I read about steel flex epoxy a little while ago. Seems people are using it to coat the bottoms of their boats to make them slicker, suppose to water proof too. I've also read about 3M 5200 marine sealant. It has got some good comments.

I was thinking a good sanding and scuffing, a piece of aluminum window screen top and bottom, and a good coat of epoxy of both sides.

BT, this ain't from no cannon, just a wear hole from grass and stumps. :D :D

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

pineywoods

Radar, I have patched a few by riveting an aluminum patch over the hole. Works as long as you stay away from salt water. Use aircraft rivets, pop rivets will  leak. If you don't know how to set aircraft rivets, I can show you...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Radar67

Where can you get aircraft rivets and how do you set them? Might be an interesting technique to learn.  :)

Jeff

I've seen this stuff at engine shows and it looks like its pretty amazing stuff. You can use a propane torch.

http://www.durafix.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pineywoods

I get aircraft rivets from a surplus place in Kansas city. I have a plentiful supply and the necessary tools.  If we can get up another get-togather, I'll bring tools and rivets, you bring the boat....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Radar67

That looks like some interesting stuff Jeff, know anyone who has actually tried it out?

That sounds good Dwayne, but I may need to use it before then.  ;)

Jeff

I've only watched the demos at the engine shows.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

You can get that stuff at Harbor Freight.  I've seen it being sold at flea markets too.  It's a little tricky to get the hang of, but it works good.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I bought a few sticks from a show once, just so that I would have it.  I keep it with my acetylene torch, but acetylene is too hot. It takes a cooler flame.   I have used it, with good success, on small items around the house, a lawnmower and stuff like that.  I seldom find myself needing to fix aluminum, but I have it just in case.   It can be used to fill, but a large hole is better with a filler/sealer.  A piece of drink can works.

Radar67

There is a harbor freight fairly close, I may give them a call to see if they have it. I usually make a day trip out of going there, since it is a 90 mile trip either way I go.

DanG

Check around locally too.  Wherever they have welding supplies.  They just may have it and save you a long trip. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pineywoods

That "aluminum welding rod" stuff works pretty good in some cases. It is actually a braze, not a weld, the melting point of the rod is considerable less than aluminum. Just be aware that some aluminum alloys are absolutely un-weldable. 2024 aircraft stuff in particular. Try it someplace non-critical first like a seat. If the boat is all riveted with no welds, you probably won't have much luck. I like an aluminum patch on both sides, coated with silicone and riveted through all 3 pieces.

Radar67

The corner seams on this boat are welded. The seats and ribs are riveted in. There is an area between the front and middle seat that is really thin and shows some signs of corrosion/pitting. Whoever had the boat originally covered the inside of these areas with fiberglass. The fiberglass has rotted from age. I acquired this boat back in 94 or 95 and have no idea how old it is. It has served me well in the duck waters, and has been sitting, several years, on the ground in front of our pond. If I can't patch the hole pretty easy, I am going to consider another boat.

Fla._Deadheader

If you get the metal real clean, the 5200 (NOT fast dry), will never let go. Use a patch on both sides, and spread the 5200 on the hull. Put a LITTLE pressure, so the edges of the patches are IN the 5200, and wait about 5 days.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

cheyenne

I have used alumaweld with a propane torch many times & it has always worked. I would start from one side & build to the other just make sure it's clean.....Aluminumrepair.com......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

fishpharmer

I sunk a boat in the middle of Black River, SC.  Hit a big log wide open.  Bow went up stern went down.
Just before dark.
Walked a mile through the swamp.  Did I mention there are gators and mocassins in SC.

Oh, dang this isn't about sinking boats?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

:D :D :D

I found some 3M 5200 local I'm going to give a try.

fishpharmer

That 5200 sure can be nasty to clean up.  Make sure you put it where you want it. May never come off.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chico

gas tank repair putty cheap works good and water doesn't bother it
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Thank You Sponsors!