iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

auto up/down for lucas swing blade???

Started by BandsawWarrior, February 07, 2009, 01:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandsawWarrior

Does anyone know if there is a kit or easy method to give the lucas swing blade auto up down so you don't have to hand crank the mill to raise and lower it?

thanks for any tips!
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

bandmiller2

BW,I'am no authority on swings but on a lucas set up stationary  it should be fairly easy with115v reversible gear drive.If portable you would have get elect. power from the moving carrage to stationary cranks that would get in your way.Talked to the owner of Peterson couple of years ago at a show they had something in the works,haven't heard since.Alot of devices kinda defeats the simplicity designed into the Lucas.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ErikC

Since the Lucas raises and lowers at both endstands, whatever you use would have to be at each end. Twice the wiring and so on. One strong point of swing mills is their simple, durable design, so I would try and keep it that way in any changes you make. I'm sure it could be done somehow. Peterson is using electric raise/lower a lot now, and it seems to be working out great. But it's simpler because of the carriage. I would like to add it to mine.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

BandsawWarrior

Sorry I should have mentioned this before...
I'm not worried about portability as anything I set up will be 100% stationary.  We do most our sawing on a bandsaw but I need something to break down the big trees 3+ feet that is faster than a 3120 and a 5' bar lol...that got old fast. 
So basically plugging in for power is not a problem.

there's a used 10" 27hp lucas for sale 5 hours from me so I'm kind of interested.  Since the mill does have to be adjusted at both ends I guess the problem lies in how do you sync the adjustment together?...the system would somehow have to adjust both ends exactly in sync otherwise you'd end up with funny shaped lumber. 

The reason I'm like auto up/down is because I would like the flexibility to cut down or across easily to maximize edge grain and clears.  I've never used one of these mills before but what it looks like in videos is that adjusting the horizontal plane is easy but up/down looks time consuming... especially if you're switching  back and forth

Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

Captain

Somebody post a picture of a Lucas rail winch so we can brainstorm.... :)

It should be possible with a linkage tube/rod of some type and an electric winch motor.

Captain

brdmkr

I have not done it, but I have thought some on it.  Does that count?  What about using a couple of sprockets to connect the ends and use roller chain to keep the up-down in sync.  The end sprockets currently work much like a hand-crank winch.  You could disable one end and drive off of the other.  It should be possible to cut on taper by bypassing roller chain connecting the ends.  Once the taper is set, put the chain back on.  Maybe some day I will give it a try.  Being able to adjust both ends at the same time would really speed up production.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!