iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can't have nothin'!!!

Started by Ironmower, February 07, 2009, 07:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

Went to work Tuesday on a remodeling job, front door hangin' wideopen and not a tool in sight. Police took tire track pictures and said, odds are slim of finding them. Ya, they was insured. But it use not be that way. You could leave your keys in the car.We never locked the house and everyone helped everyone. And people had a sence of pride. Beleave me, I teach my children these values as I was. Sorry for the venting, it just gets me.  Whats this country headed for?
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

gunman63

Its only going to get worse. Here in Minnesota the court system is run by the DNR, they use the catch and release system. the times that they are caught, they put them in jail till they  go to ther hearings they they plea it down to time served, so there out in a few days if they play the game, and free to do it again. Oh unless its a DWI  those people have money fine the heck out of them and take the car if they dont it many times.

Left Coast Chris

According to a news article, the State of California is looking at releasing 40,000 prisioners early to lessen over crowding in the prisions.  A decent precentage of our population is in prision.  Not good.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

ARKANSAWYER

I googled the stats and there is about 2,200,000 people in prision in the USA.  We have 1/4th the Population of China and they just have 1.6 million in prision.  There is a 1.5 to 2 % increase per year.
  Had some gas and diesel stolen this summer with a chainsaw from the mill.  If I catch them they will not be going to jail.  ER maybe if they live that long, but not jail.  Meth heads are the worst at stealing here.  As unemployment keeps rising so will thefts.  Sure make a man mad to come to work and his tools are missing.  >:( 
ARKANSAWYER

thompsontimber

We are currently thinning a pine stand and there is a large junkyard across the road.  Yesterday, a car hauler out of Washington state comes out of there loaded with "rebuilt" cars (I thought surely they weren't hauling salvage cars from North Carolina to Washington to sell, but I dunno).  They pull over on the side of the road, just up from our decking area, and commence to securing their load and fiddling around with whatever.  They finally go to leave, but can't get started off, so they back up right into a large road sign, smashing it over with the back car, an SUV that suffered some fresh damage from its encounter with the sign.  I am waving, trying to get them to stop to no avail.  They try to start again and the truck dies.  They get out some tools and are going back and forth.  I assume they can't start off on that hill and walk up there to offer assistance.  They said while sitting there, the fuel ran from one tank to the other side and they were out of fuel in the drawing tank.  I offered to take them to get some fuel, and they declined.  They continued to work at it, attempting to siphon fuel from one tank to the other.  I offered to have the skidder pull them to the other side of the road so the fuel would drain back over, but that we wouldn't take any responsibility for any damage to the truck in the process.  They declined that as well, but asked if they could borrow some starting fluid.  I gave them a can that still was about a quarter full, and a bit later they brought the empty can back, asked if I had another can. I handed him a brand new can and off he went.  A few minutes later, the truck fires up, they hop in and are off, taking the starting fluid with them and have yet to offer a thank you or anything.  Now while my stolen can of starting fluid is certainly nothing to lose sleep over, it is simply the principle of the thing.  I would have given them the starting fluid, and another can to boot if they asked, but taking it really burns me.  I went out of my way to offer them help every way I could, as I would hope someone would do for me in their predicament.  I also know I'd thank anyone who bothered to help me sincerely, and I'd certainly not try to take anything from them.  Seems the world is full of these types though.  Pretty pathetic

Patty

Yes I understand tt, one side of you is mad at yourself for helping them and the other side of you is mad at them for being so rude.   Wouldn't it have been nicer if they had thanked you kindly, and then both sides of you would be happy for offering a hand.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Warbird

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on February 07, 2009, 12:17:39 PM

I googled the stats and there is about 2,200,000 people in prision in the USA.  We have 1/4th the Population of China and they just have 1.6 million in prision.  There is a 1.5 to 2 % increase per year.

I believe that is because China outright kills them?  Sorry to hear your tools were stolen, Ironmower.

ErikC

I have a little story to add. A few years a go I bought a lincoln gas powered welder/generator. Used, from a guy I knew, I think for about 300 bucks. I had it in the back of my pickup one day, and went to get fuel. Our fuel station in town has diesel out back about a hundred yards. The pump was acting up, so I walked in for help. 5 min later, we come out, she gets it working and I am standing there filling up when I realize my tailgate is down, and welder is gone. I could see the tire tracks in the dust, they backed up, passenger got out, dropped both tailgates, rolled it into their truck, got in and drove off. Broad daylight. I never heard anything about it from the sheriff. Probably sold it to get high a couple times, then go steal something else.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

thompsontimber

Yes Patty, that would have been much nicer indeed.

Polly

the people in prison that done no harm to anyone but themselves should not be their why  should people paying taxes support them  :( :( 8)

Ironwood

I took pity on an older well dressed English fella at an amish auction about two years ago. He had a goose neck and a bunch of paying amish men with him. We were about 200
miles from home on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of Amish counry. He happened to live in an adjacent county to me back home. He had a trailer flat and there was NO way he was going to get home until Monday unless I loaned him my "second" spare (always like to carry two). So, he gave me his cell number and I gave him my card and felt it would get back to me as he profusely thanked me. Well you can guess where this goes, I have called "his # for the last two years about every other month. @$%^&& ^$$##. I just never learn.

No spare, I still carry two, next time I will require a CASH deposit. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cedarman

Getting a deposit on stuff you loan out may be rude and crude, but I sleep better at night.  Jumper cables, battery , gas can.   Now, I have given gas to several people and they have offered to pay and I refuse to take their money.  I have benefited a few times from others.  I am just cynical in my later years.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

Ironmower,
I empathize with you on the burglary.  It's not only the loss of the tool, but the fact that you have been invaded that is maddening.

There is nothing I can think of good to say about a thief, but the lowest of the low is one who steals another mans tools. He has not only stolen your stuff, but your ability to replace it, not to mention your difficulty in feeding your family and paying the bills.

semologger

With the ice storm going on and the shortage of generators lost were getting stolen. One guy had bought a bunch and were selling them out of the back of his truck to people during the day. For a higher price of course.  Well he went to bed one night and kept on waking up stil hearing his generator. He woke up cold and heard his motor running but no power. Someone put a lawnmower outside and cleaned him out.
We was on a job one time and they wiped out all our batteries and fire putter outers. One time stole our pressure washer and air compressure. I hate thiefs. Sorry about your tools Ironmower

Ironmower

Thanks for the support guys. Sounds like there might be hope for us yet, I'll pick up the pieces, hold my head high and go on. Like my dad use to say "It will be all sorted out at the end."   
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Ironwood

I was robbed while on a mountaineering trip in Mexico years ago w/ some troubled teens. The thieves went into our camp while we were on a acclimaitizing hike up the lower flank of the mountain w/ the boys. They took about $3000 worth of gear and tents, $1200 of my personal gear. I gotta say in that senario it didn't bother me much as the people thieving were likely trying to feed their families. In this country it is likely to feed a drug habit. The real downer for me was the non-profit Christian camp I was working for refused to provide ANY reimbursement for our personal goods even though their insurance would likely pay for it.

Sorry for your loss Ironmower, but you gotta look at it this way, their is ALWAYS someone worse off than you. Tenacity is a strong suit of anyone in business, you'll get through this and probably be better for it. Like you said, it all evens out in the end.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

snowman

This thread makes me think of the guy in Texas that shot 2 burglers in his neighbors yard. Last I heard it looked like he was gonna get off, Im rooting for him!

Tom

I don't even buy the "he has a family to feed" excuse.  A thief is still a thief.  What he takes isn't his and he's hurting his fellow man, with no consideration for the victims well being.

Ironwood

Tom,

I suppose I hear you, but when you see REAL, I man real desperation it kind makes me feel SOOO fortunate that , well I would not really hold it against them.  I have seen that many times travelling across remote parts of Mexico and Peru. I have driven to Mexico City 4 times overland, it is,.................well, lets just say it changes your perspective a bunch.

A very blessed Ironwood

Tom

I went around the block one time too.  :)

There is a difference in stealing a watermelon or carrot from someone's garden, when you can't find the owner; and stealing  a man's personal belongings and his tools.  :)

Sprucegum

Carrot stealing is an almost-olympic sport that should not be lumped in with low-life thievery such as we have been discussing here.

I miss those days.  :-X

Cedarman

I like watermelons better than carrots.  I would hate to get between Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny too.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

I don't like to get going on a thread like this..I don't take to stealing,maybe I have not been to other places,but stealing is stealing.If some lazy no good account for a human being would get off their lazy no good account ... and earn a dollar instead of trying to steal a dollar from someone that has worked for it,I would not have to protect or feel that I have to own a gun to protect what I have worked for.I don't buy "he has a family to feed"line either.Work for what you have,I have to and I always will.I would not lower myself to steal.There is always a better way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Polly

i dont believe you ever reached the point you and your family were starving and you had no money to feed them before you condem anyone put yourself in their place first ,dont judge least you be judged ;) ;) ::)

Don_Papenburg

On that note ,   If you are called to be on a jury ,do it . If you get a case where there is a theft make sure you are thinking attemted murderall the way to the last deliberation.       OK think about it .  this guy stole part of your life . Part that you took to work so you could buy the tools .   The part where you spent a better part of the day trying to find your tools ,all the cussing and agravation .  the part where you have to work without the tools  to replace the tools  and then the part where you could have gotten finished with the job but now you are behind.    If he had a family to feed  he could have asked you for help,or if you could use his help.  or he could have stoped at Ms Polosy"s house for a redistibution of wealth.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!