iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got my homemade mill running but need help, please?

Started by fishpharmer, February 06, 2009, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James P.

hey Fishpharmer looks great, get that other guide on and you'll be ready to go. You did a heck of a job on your mill. Saw yourself out a building. I can see it now, I hope you can too. Getter Done !  ;D

tomsteve

this is an awesome thread. i am glad ya didnty give up!!! this shows me that when i get goin on the build, i have an excellent knowledge base here!!

fishpharmer

Results finally.  Some of you may know that I have been plugging along with the details on my mill little by little.  Have installed double belt pulleys.  Also, the Cooks roller guides are finally installed on both the idle side and the adjustable side of the throat.   Forum members and  Tom helped me work through alot of this stuff, especially my rudimentary water lube system.  I do intend to make the improvements he suggested to that system.  So all neccessary systems are in place.  This afternoon it was around sixty degrees and sunny.  I put a new band on the mill and adjusted everything.  Then I had a big old SYP log that I have been saving just for the purpose of slabbing with the mill.  This was a test to see if it could cut a really large diameter log.  I did not put a tape to it, but think the log is about 36 inches diameter.  Remember the log deck is 48 inches wide.  I'll spare the jibberesh and get to some pictures.

The beam on the right is app. 3 x 6 inches.  I did not dog the log down, since so heavy, just shimmed it on each side to prevent rocking.

First cut.

Three inch thick slab.  18 hp engine pulled fine.

My offbearer was having a tough time picking up the slabs. (me).

Most of the wood had decayed to some degree, yet the center was very hard.  I am sure that made this log easier to cut than an equally large "fresh" log.

It was getting late, but I was glad to have some nice slabs stacked on my 3 pt. hay forks.  I will get some measurements tomorrow. 
Finally I feel some success with my mill build after how many years?  I began in 2005.
Don't give up all you mill builders, If I can do it you can too.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Thanks Forestry Forum!!!!!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

donny hochstetler

good job its nice when things come together now you can finally take a day off and go fishing 8)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VictorH

Congrats.  60 degrees - it snowed here again today  >:(  Enjoy your mill and sawing.

graydawn

good job on mill looks real good nice looking boards  keep up the good work 8)

bandmiller2

Pharmer,you just had the ultimate bandmill high,savor it.And you had the grit to give it a proof load with that first log,your my hero.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

OK !!!!! Now you can start on some hydraulics. Mill that size needs a log turner especially.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

old joe

James
Good on you!!  Sure is great when a really difficult, looooong project finally reaches  a successful conclusion.  Congrats

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Banjo picker

James I knew you would get it to do what you wanted...Enjoy....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Well, I left for one day and look  :o what your did..... :)
Congratulations with the progress that you have made.  First lumber !!!    8) 8) 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  I have come to the conclusion that homemade mill building is a never ending process for me (especially at my pace :-[).  There will always be improvements to be made.  A log turner would be nice, and I know where to find a good plan to build one, thanks to pineywoods.  This is not the first lumber I have milled with this machine.  It is the widest log I have tackled to date.  Most everything cut on the mill so far has been in R & D mode.  Consistency has been elusive until the recent installation of the new roller guides.   Hardwoods have yet to be tackled.  The big cypress log has been waiting until the bugs are worked out of the mill.  I would hate to ruin in a matter of seconds what took hundreds of years to create. 

Okay, the SYP slabs are about 32 inches accross, I measured this morning and have added a few more pics.

The tape doesn't lie.

Trusty log dog and family pet.

Yes, an 18 horsepower engine is enough,  I really wasn't sure before now.

4 inch thick slab I milled today. 

Thanks again everyone.  I welcome comments, questions and criticisms.
I would not have reached this point of completion without Forestry Forum members. :P :P
8) 8) 8) 8)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

Fish, get that cypress ready and I'll make a trip over.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Norm

Way to go!

I only have one note of safety for you though. The dog you are using to hold the log down should be on the side of the log not on top.... ;D

Slingshot

Quote from: Norm on February 21, 2010, 08:56:03 AM
Way to go!

I only have one note of safety for you though. The dog you are using to hold the log down should be on the side of the log not on top.... ;D

smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_fiddler

GF

That looks great, its s a great feeling to see something you built work.  Keep up the great work, and keep us posted on any new modifications.

Gary

fishpharmer

Radar, I'll let you know, thanks.

Quote from: Norm on February 21, 2010, 08:56:03 AM
Way to go!

Well thanks Norm, When I made her sit on the side of the log she didn't like that band coming at her any better than when she was sitting on top. ;)

I will keep everyone posted.
I really appreciate the kind words.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Banjo picker

When I visited James the dog crawled under a bush hog....it might turn up just about anywhere....I believe that was the same dog wasn't it....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

Tim, yes, same dog.  She had some puppies under the bush hog about 5 weeks ago.  About the day WDH visited actually.  Mutt daddy dog.  Cute pups though.

Don K

Good job, James. I know it was a big day for you. Persistence has paid off.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

Thanks Don.  I am getting there.  It sure would have been easier to buy a manufactured mill. :D   When  I grow up I want a mill like yours ;) :D :D ;D 

Magicman

I like that "hydraulic log/cant turner" also.  Must run on peanut oil.... digin1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!