iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker 18HD failed idler pulley

Started by caver, February 06, 2009, 07:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caver

First time poster, noobie sawmill owner. I bought a used mill in great condition.
It sat in my yard for two days before the big ice storm hit southeast Missouri. Tonight I thought I would run it for a few minutes to keep the battery up. I also thought I would practice my skills on a a chunk of an 8'' limb, limb off of a Willow Oak. Lots of downed limbs and debris in my yard. I started smelling plastic burning as it was dusk and had not been running the mill for more than 10 minutes. I noticed a spark coming off my idler pulley. A few moments later I confirmed what I just saw (no pun intended)  ;D  and shut the mill down. My pulley has a bad bearing.
Is this a common failure item in this mill?

Baker HD18

beenthere

Hey caver
It only has failed once for you... ;D ;D

Welcome to the forum.

Do you know the history of the idler?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meadows Miller

Gday

And a Big welcome to the forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Nice choise on the Baker mill Caver Itll do a Top Job for you  ;D 8) 8) have you allready ordered the new bearing from baker if not just get ahold of ADAMINMO Adam will be able to sort it out for you mate  ;) ;D 8)

I love Sawmills  ;D 8) but like all things mechanical they need TLC just sounds like the seal failed or the bearing was running dry esp if your mill had been sitting for awhile mate  :o ::) :( And it all depends on what the previous owners idea  equipment maintnace was  ::) some ppl thik you should just be able to runn it into the ground and dont touch anything then wonder why things break down on them all the bloody time  :o :o :) :) ::) ::) :( >:(
Like my mechanic has said to me since i was a young bloke Grease is the Best Bearing Money can Buy Mate  ;) :D :D :D ;D and its true a touch of grease every 4 to 8 hrs can save you a hell of alot of Dramas and give you a longer working life out of components

It might pay to give the whole mill a verry good onceover when you fit the new bearing grease Everything and it also pays to go buy a good hard cover notebook and start a maintinace history and sevice scedual for it mate  ;) it works for me  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Caver,most idlers use common sealed ball bearings.Have a good look may be able to just replace the bearings not the whole assembly.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kelvin

I just replaced mine on my woodmizer LT40.  If its similar, it doesn't take much work at all.  cost $16 for the rebuild kit.  Took off the guide bearing, pound out the old ones and set in the new with a socket on the rim of the bearing to avoid hurting the races/bearings.  Back on and smoooothhhh!
KP

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of sawing,broke downs and all.  ;D Probaly a normal wear item,I don't know. I would go over it,as mentioned and grease what needs to be,change the oil,filter.This way you know when it's all been done.Been around sawmills before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caver

It 's a throw away unit. The mill is about 18 months old and the original owner guesstimated he had about 300 hours on it. He used it to cut large amounts of kiln dried lumber for baskets he makes. I can drive through Ellington MO on the way to my property so maybe I can swing by Baker on the way there.

On edit I removed my photo as it appears I can't link it directly from my smugmug site.
I really do not wish to turn ownership of my photos over to FF so will link via URL.
I hope this is acceptable? I was curious about photo posting rules and read some of them AFTER I posted the photo.
  ;D
Baker HD18

caver

I picked up new pulleys at Baker last Monday while in the area. It was actually two pulleys stuck together. Baker doesn't put a spacer between the pulleys and I'm not sure this is a good idea as you are now side loading pulleys when you snug up the mounting bolt. There seems to be a slight gap between the hubs of both bearings when put them next to one another. One washer seems to work right. It leaves a few thousands gap between the pulley flanges. Time will tell. I had a similar issue like this happen on the wheel bearings of my ultralight (microlight aircraft).
Baker HD18

ADAMINMO

Glad to hear you got your mill back up and running. Had I have been the one to help you I would have recommended that you put a washer or 2 between the pulleys in order to have bearing to bearing contact and not pulley to pulley.When you run pulley to pulley with those type you tend to get to much side load pressure on the bearing by tightening them to tight and basically pulling the bearing out of the pulley persay. Sorry I didnt get to meet you man. But glad you got your mill running.

caver

Thanks Adam, I think I talked to you on the phone concerning whether Baker would be open Presidents Day. My mill is in Sikeston at this time but will be used about 20 miles down the road from you guys so we'll probably cross paths sooner or later.
Tom S. has been helping me via e-mail when needed.
Baker HD18

ADAMINMO

Good to know. Let me know if I can be of any help to you , I will do the best I can.

Tom_in_Mo.

Good Morning Caver
That Adam is "THE MAN"  8) 8) He will do you a good job.You can bet one thing, he will do his best he can to help you  out when needed, and I will be glad to do what I can.

ADAMINMO

Let's not get to carried away there Tom. I am only human.  :D

caver

Me about two weeks ago cutting my first real log. The tree died close to my old cabin and still had good wood in it. I'm really trying out the photo thingy.
I hit a nail but didn't notice it until later looking one of the slabs I tossed aside. I thought it seemed to cut a little slower than it had.  ::)
Baker HD18

Jeff

Good job on the photo!  That baker looks right at home in that shot. Before long yer going to have to move it to a new patch of trees as those will all be gone. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Nice shot. See a great view, and some hard work turning that cant.

Put a Logrite cant hook or peavy on your Birthday or Christmas list (whichever comes next  :) ) and step up to more enjoyment.  ;D ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meadows Miller

Gday

Great pic Caver its nice to see its diong a top job for you Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) but you wouldnt expect anything less from a Baker  ;) :D ;D 8) They make a nice looking mill  ;) and being only 20 odd miles from the plant will keep any downtime to a min Mate  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Modat22

Idler pulleys have a tendency to idle a company.  :o
remember man that thy are dust.

ADAMINMO

Mill looks good there caver.Great job!!

caver

Baker HD18

Thank You Sponsors!