iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heli Loggers

Started by Jeff, February 06, 2009, 03:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I missed the 9 o'clock show so I tried the 11:00 one and dagnabbit I slept through most of it. I did see tonight where American Loggers starts on the 27th on Discovery. I guess we'll have three shows to watch by the first of March. Ax Men 2, Heli-Loggers, and Amer. Loggers. Hope they don't come on the same night. :-\

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Banjo picker

Im just posting on this thread so I can ear mark it so that if a heads up about a show comes along in time maybe I could catch it.  Hope this techinique is ok.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Don't even have to Post Tim, can hit the "Notify" button at the top or bottom of the thread. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Jeff on February 13, 2009, 09:20:41 PM
Frickman, I agree with you, but to be honest, what you see on there is how it is around here. whether we agree with it or not. When you have always worked in it, its kinda like hearing punctuation.

UP here most of the loggers dialog consists of cussing and swearing. After a while you tune it out and don't even pay attention to it.

ErikC

That's pretty much the way of it on the west coast too. Dad never talked that way though, and he worked in mills almost 30 years. I agree you hardly notice after a short time.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

DouginUtah

Does anyone need reminding that Heli-logging is on again tonight?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

trentausherman

It seems to me that they dont get the full value of the trees. I mean they climb up the tree but look how wide the tree is where they top it.  Why dont they climb any higher to get more value of the tree???

SwampDonkey

I believe they measure diameter, bore the tree for soundness and measure height (length) to top it off according to lift capacity and most valuable log. It's kind of like bucking veneer if you follow. They use the chopper so the valuable log does not bust up by free falling to the ground as many do. As I mentioned earlier, that top is probably worth about $8. And at $8000 an hour, your 20 logs you yard, better have some value. But, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, this is high grading, pure and simple. This is a new system of heli-logging that was developed mostly for the export market as I see it and from what I've read.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

A lot of where they top the tree may have to do with the weight of the log, the helicopters do have limits on what they can lift.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Banjo picker

Thanks SD, I didn't know what that button done. ;D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

The true title of this thread should be labeled "Standing Stem Harvesting" as this is not the conventional method of Heli-logging. Perhaps it is becoming so. I'm on the other end of the continent and out of the loop, so to speak. I think that this approach to harvesting (high grading) has the potential of inviting trouble from the "greenies" and maybe even a few other stake holders. Just my take on it for what it's worth.

Clark

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 08, 2009, 06:00:40 PM...Never heard of western red cedar being used for instruments before. A fellow might learn something once in awhile. ;)

In the world of acoustic guitars (especially classical guitars) there are two choices:  spruce and red cedar.  They source the spruce from all over the planet (and make up names as they go) and I'm pretty sure the instrument grade red cedar comes only from BC anymore.  I could be wrong but I've yet to see any quality cedar down here.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Frickman

I just finished watching this week's episode. It was OK, those guys climbing those trees have some guts. The production company and narrarator have got to get their act together. They made alot of mistakes throughout.

They kept calling the harvested logs "lumber". I'm sorry folks, but they're not lumber until they go across a mill. Toward the end, when they were going to start flying out the timber, they narrarator said they had to jig the twenty one trees from today and fifteen from yesterday. It was day three, the twenty one trees were from days two and three and the fifteen were from day one, not yesterday.

On previous episodes foresters had gone in and marked the timber in advance. On this job it looked like they got to pick their own trees.

All in all it wasn't a bad show. It surely was alot better than some of their other shows they had ads for during commercial breaks.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Chico

I don't care for it they take way too many unnessecary chances I don't know how OSHA lets them run They'd shut us down here in the southeast if we did a fraction of the things they do I will say that was some nice timber reminds of the mahogany ,cedar and some of the andirobia in Brazil biggest I ever sawed down there was 8 ft across 27 ft long cut out out 80% com and better we were cutting countertops for exec desks out of it Beautiful wood
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

SwampDonkey

I'll bet this is going on at timber lands that the government either sold off their timber licensing or private land the timber company already owned. Without seeing the show it's pure speculation on my part.

SwampDonkey

I just read where a log brokerage firm in BC (Probyn Log Ltd) recently sold a yellow cypress log, cut from Vancouver Island,  to a BC business that builds log temples for Asia (this case destined for Taiwan), for $43,000.  :o  The log brokerage firm has been in business for 40 years. Things seem to be a bit tight as far as clients and access to mature timber, since 70 % of the coastal timber is tied up by large licensees. They are always trying to reduce costs and improve efficiencies like anyone else to keep the doors open.

*I do remember meeting a man years ago who built high end homes for rich folks and I do believe he was capable of building these temples. He was of Asian ancestry and married to a friend's niece. They both were from Montreal and moved the business out there to BC. I can't remember much about their names or what he did because I only saw him once and his wife maybe twice in a long time. I do know he was working at the time on a multi-million dollar wood framed home. My friend would talk a mile a minute (because he had a big mouth :D ) and you couldn't here the man or his niece talk anyway. It was a competition to talk around the old fart. :D

Another article says Shanghai is preparing for Expo 2010 by renovating 10,000 apartment blocks, using the BC designed wood truss roofing system to use BC structural lumber.

Only brought it up as the show was talking about logging in BC.

Kevin

I see a lot of wasted wood in that process, it's not as "green"  as they make it out to be due to the expense of the operation .
The climbers aren't using a safety line and on most climbs are only relying on a flipline.
They were cutting huge tops with very small arborist saws which is extremely dangerous.
I'd like to see another run though.

Thank You Sponsors!