iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wondering if...(something will kill boxelder)

Started by The-Burl-Hunter, February 05, 2009, 07:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-Burl-Hunter

hello,
I am currently working to try to eliminate box elder saplings which are about maby 2 inches in diameter or better, so that I can plant some sugar maple saplings, which I still have to find and get ordered, but anyway I know from past experience that box elder's "regrow" or "replant" themselves the same or next year after cutting them down. and I was wondering if their was something out their that you might be able to put on the so called stump which would kill it, that would be safe for the sugar maple saplings to be planted near by without the poison or whatever it may be harming those little trees, any ideas would be much appreciated thanks :)

tyb525

I think there are painted-on herbicides, something like Roundup, that are painted on the stumps.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

I would use Garlon 4 if you can get it, but you may need an applicators license in your state.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

I use tordon RTU. I didn't have to have a applicators license to buy it a couple of years ago.

Dodgy Loner

I use Garlon, as WDH mentioned, for painting stumps, but you can get the same effect by painting them with undiluted Roundup.  Look for the stuff that's 41% glyphosate (the active ingredient).  You can save some money by buying a generic brand of Roundup - any herbicide that contains glyphosate will work.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Can't buy any of those chemicals here full strength without an applicators license. Roundup is only sold in dilute form in hardware, for about $15 a litre.  ::) :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Tordon is best, but it is soil active and can damage other trees through root contact.  Round-up and Garlon are not soil active and pose less risk to surrounding vegetation. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Garlon4 is tryclopir (sp) I believe.  It does not translocate and is highly effective.  Also somewhat expensive.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

The-Burl-Hunter

would these be harmful to the maple seedlings that I would be planting the same year after I applied the chemicals  ( this year ) thanks  all for the information  :)

WDH

If you use round-up or Garlon, you should be OK.

Thank You Sponsors!