iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's goin' on with Sams?

Started by Tom, July 30, 2003, 06:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Sams Club has been my hydraulic oil gettin' place for a long time. I used to buy my mounted trailer tires there until they quit carrying them.  Then they quit carrying other things I had gotten used to using around the house.  Tonight, the wife stopped by to get me some hydraulic oil.  I blew a hose and lost a bunch.   Dexron III Mercon I told her.   She called me back and said they don't carry it. There is none on the shelf.  only type A.  Well I want type F so go ask somebody.  She did and they confirmed that they don't carry Dexron III anymore.  

Isn't Dexron III pretty much the latest in ATF Fluids?   Do any of you know if it has been replaced?  Is this just another of Sam's Club's insensitivity to the real world?  Apparently, who ever does their ordering and marketing studies can only read price lists, not customer needs.

CHARLIE

Tom, Sam's up here in Rochester, Minnesota seems to just buy whatever they can get the best deal on. That means that they might carry something for awhile and then it disappears. Or they might only have something one time. I think it just depends if they can get a good price from the manufacturer.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawwood

Tom i work for a Jeep Dealer and we carry the Dex 111/Merco
 and the the new Dex4. Go to a jeep dealer and see if they
 have it. The new dex4 is not the same as the outher but will
 check for you.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Tom

Well, they've almost lost the small business and farmer trade down here.  It's nothing more than a WallyMart anymore and they don't have the inventory that Wally does.  

It used to be that it was the only "Agricultural" supply around without paying linflated prices.  They seem to be more concerned with the everyday housewife than small business anymore.

Bibbyman

We dropped our Sams membership a couple of years ago.  For some of the same reasons plus, we found a few examples were they were higher than the Wal-Mart next door.  

We found we'd go for one major thing they'd not have and end up buying at least $100 of other "stuff".  You know "stuff"..  Always have to have 500 rolls of TP or a year's supply of variety packs of cheese crackers, etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Well, I'm all for the years supply of TP :D

The variety packs of crackers end up in my lunch but I see folks with little business buying cartloads of the stuff.  I don't know if they have country stores or little resturants.  It seems that there is not the traffic of small business in there like there used to be.   I heard that it was expected to go downhill after Sam died.   Guess "they" were right.  It's my guess that the accountants are runningthe store now.

Bibbyman

We started going to Sams when Mary worked at the insurance company.  As part of her Financial Manager duties,  she was in charge of the office equipment and supplies.  About once a month we'd go up and get a PU load of copy paper,  folders, and other things needed at the office.  Their prices were half what the local office supply place charged.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Patty

My trips to Walmart are becoming less & less frequent also. Seems they are always rearranging the store so I can never find what I'm looking for and I end up wandering around aimlessly. ::) 'Course I tend to do that anyway, but when I'm in a hurry to get in & out of the store, it gets real aggravating. Maybe their new stategy is while you're wandering around looking for what you need, you'll buy a bunch of other stuff. Whatever. ???
Now I just leave the store empty handed and buy my goods somewhere else.
Another thing about them that erks me is their "holier than thou" attitude. They won't sell certain items cause they think it isn't politically correct. My son wanted to buy some 9mm shells (perfectly legal in Iowa) and they felt he was too young, so they wouldn't let him buy them. >:( He doesn't need another mother, thank you, I do a very good job on my own.
Ok, I've done enough ranting, Walmart just gets me on a roll....I hope the day comes soon that another store will knock them down a few notches.

Patty
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ron Wenrich

Another store won't knock Walmart down anytime soon.  But, there are towns that won't let them in.  They keep them zoned out.

What Walmart does is have a lot of stores in an area.  They start by having one in a major town, then start adding some to the outlying areas.  This also helps to drive out the local businesses, who think they can't compete.

When most of the local business has dried up, then they start shutting down those outlying ones.  

If you want to knock down Walmart or any other large chain, do business with your locals.  We have a Lowe's and a Home Depot.  The locals can undercut their prices and give you service and quite often, better quality.  Or you can just go in there and chew the fat for a while.  Try that at a Walmart.   :D

And the money you spend at your local merchants stays in your community - not sent somewhere else.  You gotta be a smart consumer.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frickman

About five years ago the McCrory's five and ten chain closed down what was their first store here in town. Prior to its closing there was a petition circulated around town asking them to stay. A business owner down the street commented that if everyone who signed the petition bought something at the store that they could stay in business.

Ron, you're correct about locally owned businesses giving better service and quality. Almost every place I do business, whether service station, parts store, restaraunt, etc., is owned and managed by a friend. A long term relationship and the trust that is built up over time is worth a great deal, both personally and financially. A new Wal-Mart went in four miles down the road two or three years ago and I've never even been in the parking lot. A neighbor who went once told me that the merchandise was of low quality and service poor, so I guess I'll keep going into town for most of my needs.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Tom

I have a creed.  I try to spend money where I work.  Since I am a traveling act, it gets me into a lot of the locally owned stores.  I don't shop the big stores because I want the people to know who I am and the big stores don't care.

Jacksonville is so large and spread out that it is difficult to find some items close by.  Most of the Mom and Pop stores have long since gone away and are replaced by the Sams, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, K-marts, etc.

I still find plenty of service companies and they get lots of my money.  Guys like Auto Electric for rebuilt starters and alternators,  Independent parts houses rather than NAPA, Radiator shops, tire shops, etc.   I'de rather have a neighbor change the oil in my truck than take it to a big shop.

It's unfortunate that many of these little fellows get so greedy that they run the local customerss off.   I have a friend of 30 years who owns two Ace Hardwares.  I shop in them almost every time I need something. His prices are so high that I can't, in good faith, buy the merchandise. I've told him about it over and over.  He says, "The computer in Texas prices everything.  I could reprice them but don't have time".  He has time, he just want do it.  He also has a reputation for high priced stuff.  That's what drives customers to WallyWorld.

I shopped Sams because they had what I needed for a good price and they were open when I got off of work.  I don't go in there too often anymore because they don't have what I need.  

Local businesses still haven't figured out that they are open when everybody is at work.  They only get the floor traffic of the people that take off of work or who happen to work other shifts.  It seems so simple to me.  Why won't they open from 10am-8pm instead of 8am-6pm?

I used to get my truck serviced at Cat but they are only a 1st shift shop now.  So, I go elswhere.  I found a good mechanic with a service truck too.  Now that's handy.  

DanG

You're right about that, Tom. The great little hardware store in Greater Greensboro, Fl. has finally bit the dirt. I talked with him numbers of times about staying open on Saturday, but he wouldn't do it. Almost everyone here works in Quincy or Tallahassee, and can't get here except on the weekends. I hate to see the little place go, but it only went because of the lack of vision of the owner.  

I dropped my Sam's card when they stopped having the best deals on tires. At one time I saved enough to justify the cost of the card, but now I can beat their prices most anywhere. I won't pay a fee just for the privilege of giving them my money!  I caught them a number of times charging more than the grocery stores for canned goods and other stuff. They package it in multiples to make you think you're getting a good deal, but it actually costs more per ounce. >:(   I do shop at Walmart, out of necessity, since this is a small town, and choices are few. Winn-Dixie is really on my list, lately, so I don't darken their door at all. That only leaves IGA, who gets most of my grocery business, and Randy's who has a perpetual sale on beer, and a fairly decent meat counter. My dogs get Ol' Roy from WM, but I get it in Tallahassee, because the thimble-brain that runs the Quincy store hasn't figgered out that he would sell more IF HE HAD IT!!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Wenrich

There's more to local commerce than the Mom and Pop stores.  We have several regional department stores that keep the cash in the region.  They also beat Walmart, especially when they have a sale.

Our local Ace will beat Lowe's and Home Depot for price on hardware, and he gives me a discount.  The feed store can beat Ole Roy.  And I don't have to drive an extra 10-15 mile and fight traffic.

But, you're right about the hours of business.  These businesses often were started a long time ago when they catered to the rural community.  Life was slower, and farmers could make it whenever it suited them.  Workweeks were actually shorter.

Our local IGA can beat Walmart and any food chain for prices.  Their meat prices are better than most.  We also still have butcher shops that deal in just about anything - 'cept roadkill, I think.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gordon

I HATE the layout at Lowes everything nice and spread out. That way you have no choice but to walk half the store just to get a couple of simple things. So I only go there as a last resort.

Sam's club I will only go to during the week and that is few and far between. But on some items they still have the best price. Alot of items they stock now are more expensive than at other stores.

Good thing is there is a hardware/gas station/ sub shop/ grocery store about 6 miles from my house. Actually it's the closest store to my house and has an excellent supply of what you might need. Yes there are some items that are much more expensive than going to lowes but then again I don't burn the gas or have to mess with the crowds either and what is nice the cashiers know me by name.

Gordon

Tom

CHARLIE

Now I'm confused Gordon.  I know you by Gordon. Why would the cashiers and Tom call you Name? Do you answer to Name?  What do the prisoners call you......hmmmmmm ....best not answer that one. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

C_Miller

I am fortunate in that there is a local "chain" if three stores are a chain that sell what I need not what they can sell. They have parts for chains and chokers, hand tools and oddball stuff, One of the stores has sheaves and bushings. the busy store has hands free wireless radios on all the employees so they don't have to go look for someone else to answer a question.  Day after Thanksgiving last I spent $5 on a couple items I needed they stuffed my sack with about $15 worth of thank you goodies.  I like the big box stores cause they let me appreciate the good stores.

C
CJM

Thank You Sponsors!