iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

will a sonotube rot underground?

Started by LKasdorf, July 30, 2003, 09:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKasdorf

So I'm building this big ol' pole building, and attempting to drill suitable holes for the 6x6x16 PT poles I'm using.

The old Danuser auger on my Ford tractor just doesn't go quite deep enough. I want the poles to be 4' in the ground. And when you pull the auger out, a bunch of spoil falls back into the hole that you have to remove by hand. The soil is damp and sticks to the post hole digger, making the process tedious. I have 2 poles in the ground and 8 to go.

So I get to thinking- I have a full size backhoe that is just sitting there and itching to dig some holes...why not dig a pit the the right depth with the backhoe, and place a 12" x 4' or 14" x 4' sonotube at exactly the right position, and backfill around it? Then I'll drive some lags into the pole, paint the section to be buried with tar, and place into the sonotube.

I'll fill the sonotube with concrete and crown the top for runoff. I'll grade to the top of the sonotubes, then put down gravel.

The only question I have about this is whether sonotubes are rated for spending their life underground. They are basically carboard, treated with wax or plastic or something. Will they eventually deteriorate, leaving a gap around the concrete post? Seems unlikely to me...

I guess the downside is the cost of the sonotubes. Concrete is cheap. Time is not, and this approach should be faster than augering and digging holes.

Comments?

JeffS

sonotubes will definitely rot as you said they are only cardboard and wax.  We use tubes to place posts for decks, patios, buildings, and much more.  In the instance that you have described the tubes will rot but I do not see how that would cause any problems as they are external forms and deteriorating will only expose the outside of your concrete colums.  My suggestion is to pour the tubes full, screed the top leaving a deformed bar exposed (rebar) sticking straight up out of the center.  Drill a hole in the bottom of the post and place in the proper position.  Works well.

Jeff S
If you can't inspire them with information or dazel them with details, baffel them with Bull S#!t.

Bojangle

Try to find somewhere that the water company is putting in new water line and get some scrap pieces of pipe from them. It is plastic coated and will work great. Might even be able to get it for nothing

Haytrader

I would rather have 3' of post in the ground with somewhat of a bell bottom than a slick straight cardboard form 4', if wind is any factor where you are.

Can you run your auger all the way down and stop the turning and lift it out? This will get a lot of the loose stuff out.

An option we have here is hiring the power company to dig holes for a pole shed. They only charge $6 a hole and if you have them marked, it doesn't take long.
Haytrader

C_Miller

There's a gizmach out there like that called Bigfoot. I used them for the piers on my house foundation.  Drywall screw the sonotube to the top of the cone and set them, back fill and if you bought an extra one use that to funnel in the concrete.  I used a cement truck and two buddies. we were poured in less than an hour.  only thing I'd do different is use DWV pipe instead of sonotube.

C

CJM

EZ

I've built many pole buildings, and there is a right way to drill and set poles. After you drill the hole, pour 8 to 10 inch of concrete or sacrete in the hole. Level the bottle and let it set up so the pole wont sink in it. After its set up place the pole in and level it and buried the pole with dirt, do not fill the hole up with concrete or even half full. The poles need to move when the wind blows or they will crack or break off. If they crack this allows moisture in the post, causing it to rot quicker.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!