iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inserting Pictures and files into a Forum Post

Started by MountainWalker, February 04, 2009, 03:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainWalker

I looked to see if there was a post somewhere to do this, couldn't find one.  I clicked on the "Classic Uploader" and the "Java Uploader" but didn't get very far.  Anyone care to post a short tutorial on how this is done?

THX

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

You shouldn't have too much trouble uploading with the javauploader as long as you have an updated version of Java.  I would recommend upgrading and then trying it again. You can get the java here:

http://java.com/en/

Once you have that accomplished, the uploading should be self explanatory. Once the photos are in your gallery, then we can go from there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

peter nap

This is a wonderful site. Talented people, lots of knowledge, easy going.....the picture hosting is NOT one of it's fine points!

Jeff

Quote from: peter nap on February 04, 2009, 11:05:47 PM
This is a wonderful site. Talented people, lots of knowledge, easy going.....the picture hosting is NOT one of it's fine points!

When is the last time you tried to upload a photo?

peter nap

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2009, 12:30:08 AM
Quote from: peter nap on February 04, 2009, 11:05:47 PM

When is the last time you tried to upload a photo?

It's been a while Jeff. I just quit punishing myself.  :D
I understand that there have been some changes made though. I'll give it another try.

thecfarm

I will defend the picture post. I have dial up, too far out for cable, too cheap to go satellite.
Pictures are down sized so I don't have to wait 5 minutes to view a picture that I want to see. Only takes a few seconds and I can enjoy it.
Also the reason for the albums are that the pictures will always be here.
Ever been to other sites and see a red "X" where a picture should be?
You won't see that on here.
I have had some people send me pictures through email that has taken an hour or more to load.
I can't get my other email until that picture,that they don't want to learn how to down size,loads up.I told them no more pictures until you learn to down size.
It's real easy. If I can do it, anyone can.
I don't know about this Java down load. Have not tried it yet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MountainWalker

I have created a .pdf of the WorkBench I created in Sketchup Pro (trial version).  I want to put it into the body of my forum post.  Seems like it can as I have seen other drawings in say Jim's posts.  How is this done?

beenthere

Can you save it in *.jpg format?  If so, that will should work well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

It needs to be a .jpg image.  A PDF is not an image file, its a document, although documents sometimes contain images, for purposes here, it needs to be a photo.  There is a way to share documents but we don't use that for photos as it is a storage space drainer if we did

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on February 05, 2009, 07:59:36 AM
I have had some people send me pictures through e mail that has taken an hour or more to load.I can't get my other email until that picture,that they don't want to learn how to down size,loads up.

This would be eliminated if Thunderbird or Outlook had a console that displayed the emails on your server that you just click and delete so you know what your deleting instead of blindly setting a file size restriction. Other programs for other operating systems have done this a long time ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mark davidson

There, that's a pic of our recent TF class, took me about 2 minutes....
I put the photo in a Forestry Forum album, which I found by going through the 'forum extras/image archive' button, eventually created an album, added the photo, then found my way back to the album, clicked on the picture and below the picture a code was provided, which I copied and pasted into this post.
So much fun I did another one, from Sketchup:

Brad_bb

Couple things to keep in mind:
1. Your pic must be hosted on the forestry forum albums (your album).  Posting pictures that are hosted elsewhere are not allowed.
2. Make sure your pics are JPG
3. You have to resize/re-sample your picture to 40K or less (I think that's the number, someone correct me if I'm wrong).
4.  You then have to upload them to your forestry forum album. Then you can use the address of that picture to put them in posts.
5. Once you have the web address of the picture (hosted on the forestry forum album) you can hit the "insert image" button when making a post and paste the picture web address.
6. You must understand how to copy and paste the web address of the picture...ie. put cursor over the pic, right click, hit properties, then highlight the address, then right click, then hit copy.....   then in your post when it asks for the pic address, right click  and hit paste.
7. For resizing pictures, or saving them in another format, there are a number of programs you can use - Irfanview, paint.net etc.
I use Irfanview.  It's a free program you can download from the net and it's a small program (about 800K).  It doesn't take long to download.  The features work well for not only resizing and saving in another format, but for lightening dark pics  and adjusting them, the sharpen command works pretty well too.

Personally I find this procedure on FF a pain in the butt.  I have a site that I regularly host my pics on and it's a hassle having to re-host them when I want to post something here.  I'd rather just copy the current web address and past directly to a post.  That is simple, especially if I want to post the pic to more than one site.  I don't really get why FF does it this way.  Maybe it's to keep spamers away from posting adds?  I don't know.  On all the other boards I go on, this is the only one that has the complicated posting method.
Good luck.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

Your information is mostly all obsolete and incorrect Brad_bb. other then number 1. :)

Photos must be in your forestry forum gallery, that is correct.

Photos are automatically resized now.  Not just jpg, but gif images and png images are also supported and always have been although I don't mention it as they are usually not the best format to use. 

You dont have to understand how to copy and paste, as in most cases, if you ad a photo by going through the link underneath your posting box, the code will be added automatically simply by clicking the link under your uploaded photo that says: Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window.

The reason for having the photos all here is a simple one. As long as the Forestry Forum is here, the photos will be here. No dreaded red x's. That's not the case in other places. An example would be the AOL hometown pages. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of images and linked images wiped off the internet. Luckily, we didnt allow the links to them, and we didnt lose a one here.

Almost forgot, good job mark davidson!

mark davidson

I found putting the pics in easy except I don't see a direct link to do this on my reply, I see a button that says "insert image", but this button just inserts a tiny bit of code with no image.

What I'm doing  is to get my FF album up on a different browser window or tab, then click on the image I want, then copy the code below the image and paste it into my post.

COPY:hold down the left mouse button and drag your cursor forward or backward on the text to highlight, then right click on that same highlighted text and choose copy from the menu that pops up 

PASTE: right click in the spot in your post where you want the copied stuff to be and choose paste from the menu that pops up.

Now, if only the "insert image" button took me directly to my album by opening a new tab or browser window, or opened a dialog box that would link to my albums, then it would be useful....

http://www.wpltree.ca

MountainWalker

yaahhhh!!!!!  It worked and not that tricky once you get through all these directions.

mark davidson

good job, nice horse.
just curious to see how a youtube will come through here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJmZvifrO9Y

Jeff

Quote from: mark davidson on February 05, 2009, 02:09:44 PM
I see a button that says "insert image", but this button just inserts a tiny bit of code with no image.

Big text under the posting box:
Upload or insert Photo?
It opens a new window. If you dont have to upload, then navigate on to your gallery.  Maybe in time I can add an additional link under the post box that takes you directly to your gallery. I'll see what I can do about that.

Jim_Rogers

MountainWalker:
Nice looking horse..... but pocket screws..... >:( :o
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MountainWalker

My feelings are hurt.....  'we be timber framen'

This is Clydesdale ONE, however, pieces are just sitting together; I have more work to do on it. These are M & T joints and they will be pegged together.  I just posted it to see if I could figure out how to post a picture to this Forum.

Tonight I will expand on what this horse is part of.

MountainWalker

aahhh, now I understand the "pocket screw" reference. 

What you seeing are the "marriage marks" I made being 1 and 2, made with chisel which started that whole post of mine dealing with marriage marks and timber scribes.  If you look closely, you can also see them at the bottoms of the uprights and on the feet.

Many ways to put together two horses when using central tenons!

mark davidson

Jeff -gotcha, yes... I would not change it, now that I see it in the right perspective. It is quite easy to navigate to the albums with the classic uploader link, or add a new photo.

Jim_Rogers

oh, ok, well then you're forgiven...... as the church lady would say....
"never mind"......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

peter nap

I just uploaded a picture that I took a while back for this forum. I had the blacksmith at Colonial Williamsburg Forge a large slick while I took pictures. So far, it is a thousand percent better than it was but still a PITA that I can't just link my site.

If it doesn't show, it's my last try.

*DanG...at least the thumbnail showed! Nobody would have been interested anyway! >:(

peter nap

Jeff

peter nap

Brad_bb

Thanks for the info Jeff.  I hadn't heard about the changes.  I hadn't posted many pics in a little while due to my past experiences.  I'll try out the new method and see how she goes.  I'm always learning and have no problem with constructive criticism.  Thanks!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Raphael

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2009, 01:45:50 PM

Photos are automatically resized now.  Not just jpg, but gif images and png images are also supported and always have been although I don't mention it as they are usually not the best format to use. 

That's pretty slick Jeff...
I just uploaded a cropped image and FF handled all the resizing and optimizing for me.  8)
You're going to make me lazy.  ;)
I didn't bother with the java aplet...  See I'm already to lazy to try something new.  ;D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

letemgrow

My problem is not posting the pics, but getting the kb's down enough to suit the site while still keeping a good sized pic.  I agree with others that it would be MUCH easier to just insert the like to say my --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- account instead of going through all the steps to repost it to the forestry forum gallery. 

letemgrow

Quote from: Raphael on February 06, 2009, 11:18:04 PM
Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2009, 01:45:50 PM

That's pretty slick Jeff...
I just uploaded a cropped image and FF handled all the resizing and optimizing for me.  8)
You're going to make me lazy.  ;)
I didn't bother with the java aplet...  See I'm already to lazy to try something new.  ;D

I try to just upload and let it resize for me, but it says the file size is too big.  Is there a way to have the file uploaded and have FF fix it how it wants the photo so I do not have to resize and everything??

beenthere

Yes, there is a way.

Just click on "Java Uploader (re-sizes for you)" below the blue posting window.

Follow the simple instructions and browse for your pics, and they will upload quickly, of max size, and all.

Not sure where you are getting dead-ended, but sometimes things are more obvious than they seem. I know that frustration, and it's a head slapper when it all comes together.  ;D

Wish you luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!