iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is a log too small

Started by campy, February 04, 2009, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Backwoods Sawyer,
How did you split that little Christmas tree?

...and why? :D

SamB

Quote from: Tom on February 08, 2009, 12:07:55 PM
Backwoods Sawyer,

Tom,

Backwoods may have come up with a new way to market live Christmas tress! ;D City folks might like that concept, just got to figure a way to keep the pine sap off the wall. :D

Tom

Heck yeah!  I can picture it.

Just glue the half to the wall and save space.  Those in New York City that rent 300 sq ft apartments for $4000 a month will be happy. ;D

MikeH

Excellent pic Backwoods :D :D :D Well done

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Tom on February 08, 2009, 12:07:55 PM
Backwoods Sawyer,

The how was easy just clamped the branches below the stem between a pair of 2x6 and leveled it up.
The why is a bit of a mystery to even myself, things were a bit slow at the time, just to see if it could be done more then anything.
I nailed one to one fence post, the other to the next fence post and it has worked as an advertisement gimmick, and I have been staying busy since, so it seems to have worked.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

snowman

Quote from: ljmathias on February 08, 2009, 07:07:06 AM
I'm about to cut siding for the house I'm building for my MOL so I've been searching like crazy.  The idea of using smaller logs sounds great- when you say vertical siding, are you talking about board and batton? If so, I assume the 1X3s are the battons, no?  Oh, by the way, we really like pictures...

Lj
My intent was board and batton after boards fully dried but I am so happy with the way it looks I will probly leave it as is. The sawmill is kinda see through but it's a sawmill with a 25 ft opening, no biggie. The barn is really a shop and wood storage area. The shop ill line inside of siding with felt,insulate and put interior wood in. The 1x3 I mentioned are mixed in with 1x4, looks great, nothings twisred at all, 2 years now. As for pics may be I'll try again, never been able to do it yet :D

tcsmpsi

For the 25 yrs I have owned the present property on which I reside, along with my Yaupons and other trees, plants and critters of diverse species and familia, I have nurtured a couple sassafras trees (there are many more on the place, but these were the 'biggest').  A couple months ago, I found that the tree trimmers had been out servicing the power lines, by the limbs stacked by the road in front of the place.  Being I leave before daylight and get in after dark, I did not notice anything out of the ordinary.  Sat., I got in before dark and something didn't look quite right.  Upon investigation, they had come in the fence and cut down my sassafras trees.

Now, in this part of the world, sassafras seldom gets more than 4-5" dbh.    These two were already surpassing that, and I was looking forward to seeing them become the largest I had seen, so as to eventually mill them.  Not only did they cut them down, they cut them up in the most humiliating way.

I was able to salvage 4 pieces about 6" diameter and about 48-60" long.  Which I milled yesterday in finishing off this last milling of Ike's 'leftovers'. 

Ultimately,  I was glad to have them and they didn't seem too small at all.       ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

TheWoodsman

That would really "irk" me as well.   Sorry to hear that the sassy doesn't get very big down there.  I've had them up to 24" dbh several times.  I've "accumulated" several thousand bf over the year but just cannot decide what is worthy of such magnificence.   :D
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

WDH

Tcsmpsi, I hope that all the trimming did not traumatize the little yaupons :).  They are quite sensitive, you know ;D.  I am sure that you are taking good care of them.

Tcsmpsi, I see that your Forum name is a changeling.  Must be the onslaught of Yooper Night :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Tom had to have some vowels, Danny.  Being a word fellow and all.    ;)

Actually, "irk" is a very diplomatic way of stating it, Woodsman.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jimparamedic

If I have to split the log to use as fire wood than it will go through the mill. A 6" log makes a 4x4 if its short 4-5' than I use it for the bottom of my lumber piles. I go through these about as fast as driers. some times I just slab 2 sides if their not straight enough or I'm in need of timbers to stack lumber on.

isawlogs

If it can make a 4 x 4 . it will be sawed . I dont like wasting good wood , knotty pine is a good looking to me as clear , actualy I prefer the knotty pine . It makes great looking  cabinets , has character . There is enough crooked wood around here to make fire wood out of that I aint gonna waste a good straight log . If I am sawing for someone and he has small logs in hte pile I will saw them , I figure there was labour involved in taking them out and pilling them , they must of known they was small and had a use for them .
  Idealy all logs would be 12 to 18 inches , they have meat and are easy to handle and cutquickly , so are profitable .. you have the larger logs that are time consuming and hard on machinery ...  the small logs I find easy to do , I have a hydraulique mill , so clamping two side by side is easy , I make wood out of what others would not saw. So maybe I dont make as much money on one job .. so Sawing to me aint about only how much I can make .. I have a happy customer that will/maybe call me back for more work in the future , that I find is much more important and maybe , maybe I make a friend or two along the way .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ladylake

Some nice overrun comes from small straight logs, just sawed a 8"  x 8' log that scaled  10 bf , got 28 bf out of it.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cedarman

But on the cedar the scale says 8" is 19 feet so our scale steals some of that overrun footage.  But the volume of a log can increase 20% going from exactly 8" to 8.9"  So overrun can vary dramatically from 8" log to 8" log.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ladylake

What kind of scale do you use for cedar?  Both the Doyle and Scribner say 10 bf for a 8" log.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cedarman

It is called the Kentucky cedar scale around here.  Arky has posted his scale somewhere.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!