How strong is a LogRite?

Started by Kevin, February 04, 2009, 07:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Have the cant hooks ever been tested and rated for strength?
If I had a hung tree and wanted to roll it off how many pounds of force can be applied before bending or breaking the tool?

Tam-i-am

Kevin

yes we have tested the tools.  in my post "how it works part 2" there is a picture of the tester testing a fiberglass tool.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

beenthere

Kevin
How many pounds of force can you apply?  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

With a winch?    ;D

I wonder if anyone has put a steel handle on a logrite and tested it?

beenthere

Oh... ::) ::)

Seems wrapping the winch cable around the tree stem to give it a rolling response would be better than trying to attach a winch line to the handle of a peavy and keep it straight for pulling (not to mention the mistreatment of the equipment.. ;D ;D).

I'd think they were designed for one person to move logs.... :) :)

But now know why some are sent back bent and broken.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

You don't get good leverage with a cable and it's more work.
Sometimes you can cut a pole and use a winch strap but I'm looking for something easier and quicker.

Tam-i-am

Kevin

Did you know that the junior arch is perfect for pulling out hang ups.  It could even be done with a Mark7 or a Fetching arch.

Kevin

Yes that works well but access and deep snow is a problem for me.

Jeff

Kevin, what exactly do ya got up yer sleeve?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Mostly snow  :D

Just looking for another gadget.
Remember that poplar that got hung up?
Sometimes they need just a little more persuasion to get them to roll out.

Jeff

Kevin

Tam-i-am

Kevin

I see now that you have already done this before, so you know the tool is very strong.  That leads me to believe you want to move an even bigger one.  What about the new extreme duty tool?  The one that is a shorter version of the megahook.

About 3 years ago we made a felling lever and have had several versions of it in testing.  The last modification was made about a year ago.  The tree service guys we have testing it have no complaints.  They told me they will often have 2 men on it when trying to "bust a stump".  This is the same handle on the extreme duty tool.

Kevin assures me that you would have a difficult time breaking a extreme duty tool.  What I mean to say is that a human would not be able to break the tool. ;D

Tammy

Kevin

QuoteWhat about the new extreme duty tool?

Is there information on this one ?
Has it been tested as well?

Tam-i-am

yes, yes, yes of course.

The XCH060 and XPV060 are made with the megahook reinforced handle.  You have seen the pictures of GeorgiaBoy hanging from his megahook somewhere on the forum.

Rocky_J

I managed to bend my first Logrite cant hook while trying to pop off a poorly cut stump with metal in it. I wasn't able to knock it off with wedges and a skid steer, so I set the cant hook and hooked a 2000 lb winch to a choker strap on the end of the handle. Needless to say I managed to ruin a very nice tool.  :-\

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Kevin

I think I'll opt for the five footer.
I'm working a cedar bush where you can't see daylight through the trees.
Just about every tree is limb locked.

Jeff

Kevin, would the Logrite junior arch walk the trees down for you like in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0XL9-jTP4E

Rocky_J

Quote from: beenthere on February 15, 2009, 04:53:47 PM
And no picture?

:) :)
My bad!
Here's the old cant hook next to the replacement handle Kevin sold me. I just transferred the hook and tip to the new handle.

beenthere

Thanks for the pic.  :)

And as well, the video of walking the tree down. Hadn't thought of that possibility for the LogRite arch. Nor the pick-em-up for firewood bucking.
Very handy tools.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Tom

Hey!  What's wrong with that canthook?   All you need is a new hook and tip, and your ready to go.  It'd make a fine spare, even make a fine second canthook.  :D

Tam-i-am

A 2000 lb winch ::)

This is why we now make the xtreme duty tools.

Yes, the Junior will walk the tree right out.  And you have a lot of control because the tree acts as its own brake so it can't get away from you.

Tammy

Kevin

nas

that looks like just the tool for my cedar cut.  Now if I can fit it in the budget.
Kevin-you could put some skiis on it smiley_lit_bulb
Tamiam-are the norwood cant hooks logrite?
it sure is a pain typing while holding a 4mo old!!

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Tam-i-am

Yes, we make the tools for Norwood.

rebocardo

I just bent my peavy, though not as bad as in the previous picture, rolling a big oak. I didn't use any other leverage or what have you, just my weight and arms.

The other trouble I am having is getting the hook to bite on the 28"+ logs because many of the trees are more square then round. The hook is not long enough or far enough back to get an effective bite.

Does the big Arky stick come with a longer hook and is the handle thicker walled?

Should I use a cant hook instead?

To be fair, the log as I was turning I use to turn with a cable and my 4x4 or a thick steel bar, that I bent the hook on. Though it probably only weighed about 6000 pounds.

Tam-i-am

That is a big hunk o' log you are moving!

The megahook or Arky Super Stick as it is known on the forum does have a reinforced handle and longer hook.  The hook is designed to grip up to 45" diameter logs.  It only comes as a cant hook.

Jasperfield

Son, I'll tell you how strong they are:

I can smell 'em all the way down here!