iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clean wood/Dirty wood?

Started by genovet, February 01, 2009, 09:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genovet

I recently bought a lightly used MS361.  I decided to buy a new 20" bar and after doing a lot of research on this site I decided to buy an RSC chain.  My local Stihl dealer recommended that I instead get an RMC chain because based on what I described to him he said that I'm cutting dirty wood.  I never thought that I was cutting "dirty wood".  Can someone define for me "clean wood" and "dirty wood"?

Thank you.

Tim

chevytaHOE5674

Clean wood is wood that has little to no dirt in the bark (IE freshly dropped trees)

Dirty wood is stuff that has been laying on the ground, or has dirt embedded in it.

Mad Professor

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 01, 2009, 10:04:01 PM
Clean wood is wood that has little to no dirt in the bark (IE freshly dropped trees)

Dirty wood is stuff that has been laying on the ground, or has dirt embedded in it.

Or anything that has been skidded.

thecfarm

genovet,welcome to the forum. So what did you tell him you was cutting with your saw? He must of went on what you told him.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cut4fun

I would run RM semi chisel for dirty wood (mud caked, sand embedded etc) and RS for clean wood (no dirt).

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Mad Professor on February 02, 2009, 12:25:59 AM
Or anything that has been skidded.

Depends we skid stuff in the snow and it is clean as can be. But generally skidded wood is pretty dirty.

genovet

I'd say that  80% of the trees I cut are already on the ground.  I never considered them dirty because they usually aren't muddy.  I don't do woodcutting for a living but I'd say I'll cut 10-15 cords of wood this year.  Based on that would you agree that the RSC chain would be the best all-around chain for me? 

mrcaptainbob

Would this be considered dirty wood? I knew it was hollow by thumping the side, but had no idea the grit in here. Not until I saw sparks flying....maybe I should take up cuttin' at night?

Thank You Sponsors!