How it all began

Started by Tam-i-am, February 01, 2009, 06:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

In June 2001, Kevin gets laid off from his engineering position.  He decides to turn his hobby into a business.  He sells his WoodMizer LT27 and upgrades to a LT40 Super Hydraulic.  He names his business New England Saw and Lumber.  Here is a link to his website.  It has picks of the millyard, some things he sawed and his ouch page.  www.newenglandsawandlumber.com

For about 2 years, Kevin drags his mill all over Connecticut, NY and Massachusetts sawing other people's logs into lumber.  The only problem was those DanG wood handled cant hooks kept breaking.  Homer, Kevin's dad, would  make beautiful wood handles in his workshop but could not keep up replacing the handles for Kevin.  So Kevin used some of his engineering knowledge and made the first aluminum handled cant hook in our garage.  As he brought it around from job to job, people liked them and inquired about them.  Then Kevin would volunteer to make them one too.  Finally, with some prodding from me, in Nov. of 2003, he decided to go into the tool making business.  After doing all his research and starting to manufacture, the first tool was sold February 4, 2004. 

Kevin continued to do research and in March of 2004 he finds the Forestry Forum.  At that time Logrite was just a brand name but not a business.  Kevin still operated under the name New England Saw and Lumber.  That is why on the forum he is known as NESLRite.  LogRite was his original partner, who has since moved onto other things but continues to be our webmaster.

For about a year, Logrite tools were made in my garage.  Metal deliveries were made right in my residential neighborhood.  UPS made our house one of its regular pickups.  Several calls from the neighbors forced us to move to an industrial park.

January 2005, Kevin decides to sell New England Saw and Lumber and the mill.  LogRite becomes an LLC. 

Sometimes the mill comes for a visit.  New England Saw and Lumber does cut the majority of our pallet wood.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Mooseherder

Great Story and a great product.  May you have continued success! :)

ellmoe

Cool! One door closes, another opens.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tam-i-am

Here is the original cant hook Kevin made that started the whole thing.

I knew it had to be hanging around somewhere.

Looks a little different as improvements to the tool have been made and the color of course.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper