iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today was a great day..

Started by tyb525, January 31, 2009, 11:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Cause I bought a sawmill.  :) A Woodmizer LT10 with the 10HP motor. Slightly used, less than half a log.

Of course it all started when I went to the Woodmizer demo with my mom. I secretly had my hopes up that we would get one, but wasn't sure it would happen. After watching the mills work, and having my heart set on an LT15, I got to see the LT10 run, and I got to cut a board with it. After that, I was bit (by that old sawmill bug). Soon after, I noticed an LT10 packed up on a crate in the corner. I investigated, and saw it had a 10HP instead of the 7. It was about $1000 less than normal price. Seemed like a great deal to me  :)

So I talked to (I forget his name, last name was Mann I think) and he was very friendly and knowledgeable. Actually, the everyone there was. The next thing I knew, the deal was done.  8)

I don't actually have the sawmill yet, as we didn't drive the truck. So next Saturday we're going to go pick it up. I am extremely excited to get it up and running  ;D. I have a feeling this week is going to go awful slow.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tom

What a great way to leave your teens.  With a sawmill!!

You delt with "The Man".  He's the man in charge. If you could get a good deal it would be  from Dave.

Dave Mann, VP of the Sawmill Division for Wood-Mizer Products

And you are a good judge of character.  He is a friendly sort. You should see him joking around at the Forestry Forum Pig Roast.   He has had pie in his face and been dumped in the pool too.  He and his bunch are great with the little kids.

I might be as happy as you to find you with a mill.  Please take plenty of pictures and write down the whole story of your first log.  :)

tyb525

I figured he was important  ;). I'll remember to take pictures, and maybe video if I can get someone to hold the camera  :D.

I still find it somewhat hard to believe that I own a mill now. It's like a dream come true. I can't wait to use it. I already had a few logs that I was gonna pay someone to cut, but now I can do it myself.  8)

I'll let you guys know, and I'm probably gonna have to invite my friends and family and neighbors to watch, if they don't show up by themselves  :D.

Hopefully I can turn this into a small business after college, which would probably mean getting a bigger mill, but that's ok with me.

Right now I think I'll just cut for myself mostly, but I'll probably end up selling some too.

This is exciting.  :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

WAY TO GO!!!!

Being young, you can whip through all that hard work with nary a complaint.  Me, I still love it, but I don't whip through as much anymore.  That sawmill will open many doors for you.  I want to see some pics of the little beauty in action ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

After using a chainsaw mill a little, I think it will be a welcome break. :) I have a 50hp tractor w/crane-loader type thing on the back, cant hook, chainsaws, and 75 acres of nice hardwood. Oh and an old barn to air dry it in, for now.

I'll probably end up putting the mill in the barn, as soon as we get some of the junk cleaned out of it. For now, it'll be under a tarp, but hopefully that won't be long.

JV

I warned you that this would happen.  It's something about that building with all that orange paint and sawdust.   :D  Well you got your birthday present.  Congrats.  Now the fun begins.  Before long you will be looking at an LT-40 or a super.  Then an edger, a logging arch, support equipment, it never ends.  You'll see them in your dreams.  No turning back now that the sawdust is in your veins. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Meadows Miller

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;) ;D ;D

Top Show Mate  ;) It was only 6 months ago i told you that it wouldnt be Long untill you got your hands on one mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 10Hp is plenty my little band only had about 9hp and did a dang good job for me even at full capacity And itll keep you in enough trouble while your at Uni  ;) :D :D ;D
are you getting afew extra bands and just using the resharp service and how long will it cut  ??? ??? ;) ;D
Now with putting it in the barn instead of shifting all that stuff  ;) :D ;D you could build a nice 3 side pole frame sawshed just make sure that you build it big enough to fit an LT 70 in it or even an Awmv lt300 :o :o  I think this is where This Addiction is Heading mate  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D ;D  8) 8)
Im thinkn this might become a habit with you mate every year haed to the show    ??? ??? ??? :P :P :P :P  come home with a Bigger Mill ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
;) :D :D :D :D ;D ;) I bet you start taking the truck on the day now Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D

JV I thought the saying was He's got Sap in the veins and Sawdust for brains or is that just me mate ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Norm

Congratulations Ty!

Of course it's all downhill from here. Instead of eyeing that pretty redhead in class you'll be looking past her to the red oak outside the window....well maybe not. ;D

thecfarm

That is great.Now the next step will be a hyd mill. You will enjoy sawing lumber.I had to wait until I was almost 40 to get my mill.That will keep you off the streets.  :D  I should of put mine under cover,meaning a building or barn like what you have.The paint stays so much brighter.I should of built one first thing for it.Please take pictures for all of us to enjoy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HOOF-ER

Think its safe to say you made us all proud.  ;) What a way to go through life.
Enjoying something you love. Makes it even funner sharing with other people
who understand what it is you love. Congrats , now get to work. ;D :D :D :D
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

tyb525

Chris: You were right, although I didn't believe you at the time  ;) As far as blades I used the $250 coupon I got for showing up to buy a box of 10 blades, plus the mill came with one. I plan on using the Resharp service for now.

Norm: I'll have to try to focus on both at the same time. ;)

thecfarm: Yes it will keep me off the streets, I'd much rather be sawing. :)

hoofer: Yes, this is what I want to be doing. I can't believe it is happening though. It's gonna be great when I finally get it. 8)

It's funny when I tell some of my friends that I bought a sawmill. The responses range from "What's a sawmill?" to "What the heck do you need that for?" and there were a few that complained about killing trees. I just had to explain to them all that I love it and money can be made from it. Some people make art for a hobby, well, I sawmill. (Is that an art form?)

Jeff

I don't have a big enough smiley.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Jeff on February 01, 2009, 10:00:08 AM

You could borrow some from Meadows Miller, he might have some extras :D

tyb525 that is great news! You're hooked for life now, sawdust in your genes jeans. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

Congrats on the new mill  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on February 01, 2009, 10:00:08 AM

Tyb525,

The man is not without influence. :D  ;D :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

Chuck White

Good show TY!

I know what it's like to "finally" own a mill.  I've only owned one for almost a year now and it's great.  Before that, I used my FIL's!
I left word with WM at Hanabal,NY that I was looking for a hydraulic mill if the price was right and about a year later I got a call from "petefrombearswamp" (who was upgrading) and our deal was made.  The feeling is hard to explain.

You, being a 19yo young man are our future!  You've made that first big important step.  Congratulations!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

snowman

I'ts gratifying to see that theres still kids that are not only willing to work hard but actually want to. :)

bull

Way to go Kid !!  Wait a minute your 19  going to be 20 and now have a sawmill, give it hell Man!!!!
And now we know what your going to do when you grow up !!!  *answer* ??  Have sawdust on the brain!! :D

Captain

I SAW my first small/protable sawmill when I was about your age.  Always wanted one thereafter  ;D

Congrats on your new purchase and starting early.  I only know of one young man on the forum that did it sooner than your age  (I may be wrong)

Captain

fishpharmer

I am envious...

I would love to have an LT10

That is awesome.  You best build your Mom something nice too.

Since folks are making suggestions about your future and hydraulics and such.  Let me add to it and give relationship advice.  If the redhead wants to help cut, off load and stack the red oak.  Ask her to marry you. ;D ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tyb525

Snowman: If you would've told me a few years ago that I would be doing this by my own free will, and enjoying it, I'd tell you you were crazy. :D
But now I really enjoy it, and when people ask me if I workout I say no, I cut wood. I really enjoy seeing an ugly log turn into beautiful lumber, and the workout is a bonus.  :)

Bull: The answer: I'm gonna own a milling business when I get older.  :)

Captain: What was the name of the young man? I don't know of anyone my age that has a sawmill, or is even interested in it.

fishpharmer: For my mom I plan on using it to reside our barn with tulip poplar. :) And of course I can use wood I cut from it to make other things for her. I agree with having a woman that wants to help. Actually she has blonde hair, and I have yet to ask her if she would do that.  ;) :D

I plan on sawing some 2x4's 2x6's, etc., to use to build a solar kiln, unless I find a good deal on a dehumidifying or other type. That's probably a ways in the future though.  :)

Bibbyman

Everyone likes Mr. Mann..  Even my granddaughter Alex.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

tyb525

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jeff & Dave you blokes can use some of mine anytime  ;) trick is just to keep clicking that left button fellas   ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ty with the bands its the way to go seeing as you have good access to service  ;) i had to learn quick when i started with mine  the trick is if (when) you do start doing your own take a break after you knock off for the day and do them at night  ;) ;D you can sit there and watch tv or listen to the radio  ;) ;D ;D ifin you wernt so far away id loan you my old sharpener to get started  mate ;) ;D ;D ;D

I get comments all the time with my build  ;D I just say Workout ???  works hard enough  ;) :D ;D With those peskey greeney types just tell them your a Carbon Collection and Storage Specialst  I Do ;) :D :D :D ;D  and what are they doing for the enviroment  ??? and that usually shuts them up  ;) :D :D ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!