iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turners

Started by bandmiller2, January 21, 2009, 07:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Chico,you realize we're all here waiting to hear more about those yoke turners.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chico

Yeah I'm drawing a pic to try and put up so it won't take a letter to explain it  ;D
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

jeep534

Quote from: sawguyver on March 17, 2009, 09:41:56 PM
That sounds real interesting ???
Tell us more. like does it work from above the log or below.
I'm still looking for a good way to turn logs in my mill. A turner on the carriage would take care of alot of head ache for me. The old mill is pretty light and pushing up against the carraige with a turner would require all kinds of reinforcement and still be trouble waiting to happen :(
The overhead winch works real good on real big stuff and the small stuff is faster by hand, but the middle of the road is where most of the work is.
Something that is hidden within the carriage and comes up quickly would be ideal 8) Those woodmiser turners look like they could work for me :-\
Ok, Envision this.... cut he bottom legs off of a roll around engine hoist take the extension out of the arm. replace the "jack" with a cylinder and mount it to the back center of the carriage. on the one I saw there were 2 different length "cane Hook" arms that folded out and hooked the top of the log. It was powered with a 12 volt hydraulic  power unit with a valve by the operator and batteries on the carriage   

archie =) =) =)

JSNH

Yesterday myself and Jason Weir went for a road trip to see Bandmiller2 AKA Frank. Thats Frank and Jason. Had a great visit. Below are photos of his roller turner invention. I think I will make up something similar. It gives you the ability to pull a cant toward the log deck. When the flat side hits the rollers it slides back onto the bunks. So simple it is elegant.

jason.weir

We did have a great visit  - Frank's got a great setup and a unique collection of "stuff" that would make most anyone jealous.

His home built band mill and rebuilt\restored circle mill showed lots of foresight never mind the actual engineering and building skills Frank has.

John graciously left out the little bit about 4 hours in a car with 2 tired, hungry and bored little boys (a 3 and a 4 year old), a little mishap with keys locked in a vehicle and me having to eat a little crow.

Thanks Frank & family - I couldn't think of a better way to spend a rainy Sunday.

-Jason

Bill_G

These are the rollers that were used on the old Chase & Lane handset mills in the steam era.

bandmiller2

Can't take any credit for those log turners just following in the footsteps of  the giants of  the past.I got the idea from an old Belsaw manual,mayby modified slightly.Frank C.

Bill_G

They work great, saves alot of snapped cant hook handles and backs.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice looking turndown rollers Frank they'd work a treat alot easyer than turning back against the knees on the larger logs Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

while we are on turners here's a pic of the Mellot 4A hyd turner i have here to put on the Meadows it hasnt even turned a log yet ;) ;D 8)

;) ;D 8)

Reguards chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Chris,I like that turner,you just know some bloak spent some sleepless nights developing that,many trials and mods.I'd love to find one local to kinda measure up.Frank c.

bandmiller2

I really enjoyed the visit from john [JSNH] and Jason this weekend.One of the few advantages of the conjested north east is no one is too far away.John has a big old Lane mill [see his pictures] and knowes whats going on with circular mills.Jason has all the mill parts but is doing the curley shuffle with too many projects and a young family.Any members I've met from this forum are like old friends just wish their wasen't so many miles [and water] between us.Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Frank thanks  ;) ;D  ill have measure it up one day for you when im not too busy things have been flatout here Mate the main things to get rite would be the pivot points and the distances as the bloke who brought it from my grandfather to go with the carriage pulled it down and took measurements then built about 1/2 a dosen alot heaver but you woud only need that ifn you where abusing it mate   ;) :D ;D ;) as the one in the familaly mill went for about 18 years w/o much drama  ;) ;D 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!