iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video - felling some pines growing in the wrong place

Started by Ianab, January 31, 2009, 01:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Went out today to help out a friend who has some pine trees threatening to take out her overhead phone wires. Phone company contractors dont want to know as 99.99% of their lines are underground now. They dont have any tree crew at all.

Here's some clips that Lil shot.

First one is cutting a wedge, and backut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63Wv7xjjgE

Second is a lot wedge hammering as the tree was weighted backwards a bit, and I did NOT want it going that way. Would have taken out the phone pole, wires, fence and probably an overhead water pipe as well. The branches were in the phone lines as it was. :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyBHXiCTMbE

Third one, it actually falls. Whew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mSuNHUpFkl

Anyone want to have a guess how old the tree is? I have a shot of the stump with the growth rings, but I will post that later.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

26 years is when they would normally be harvested.

That one was only a sapling - try 11 years.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Reddog

That is a fast growing tree. :o
Thanks for posting the vids.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That's the kind of rings we find in our Loblolly and sometimes in our Pond Pine.

I really enjoyed the chatter in the background.  Momma's have a special tone when they talk to their children.  It's very comforting.  :)

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Tom on January 31, 2009, 07:31:08 PM
That's the kind of rings we find in our Loblolly and sometimes in our Pond Pine.

I really enjoyed the chatter in the background. Momma's have a special tone when they talk to their children.  It's very comforting:)

Sometimes. :D

That's a fast grower alright! What species of pine?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 31, 2009, 08:27:17 PM

That's a fast grower alright! What species of pine?

They are Radiata Pine (Pinus radiata). It's a species introduced from Nth America (California) but has been selectively bred here for better growth and form. The climate here just seems to suit it, with almost 12 months of growing season.

This is the view from where we were working. Neighbour is having a small plantation harvested, probably about 30 year old trees. These ones hadn't been planted under any phone lines  ::) The trees have been planted on the slope above a deep river gorge, marginal for farming as the cattle tend to slide down the hill and fall off a cliff into the river.

If you look close you can even see the other neighbours new Lucas mill, nothing to do with the harvesting in the background though.

Zoomed in a bit you can see the skidder and bulldozer, the trees in the background give a bit of scale, but are actually on the other side of the river. Next years harvest.

Ian

metalspinner

That is a fast grower!  I remember when you made that highchair for her. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

semologger

Lanier_Lurker

You sure that ain't 12 instead of 11?

Either way, that is mighty fast growth to reach that diameter.   :o

semologger

This is one of the 18 year old lobolly. They ranged from smaller to bigger ive seen some that were 6 inches biigger but not many.

thecfarm

Wow!!! is right.  Them things grow!! Nice new wedges too? Mine get chewed up felling trees that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!