iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

concrete backerboard vs. PT ply vs. galvalume in a kiln

Started by brdmkr, January 30, 2009, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

It is time to put up the interior walls (well almost) in the kiln.  Nyle calls for pt plywood, but I recently noticed that I could use 1/2" concrete backerboard for about the same cost.  I had also thought about using galvalume metal roofing (just flat metal without the corrogations).  I know that plywood is the most common interior, but I wonder if anyone has any experience with the other 2.  If going with concrete or galvalume, would silicone serve as a seal between pieces or would something else be needed.  I assume no coating would be needed for the galvalume, but am I correct in assuming that alluminum roof coating would likely be needed with the concrete?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Kelvin

Whats the advantage of avoiding the PT plywood?  I'd really be nervous about metal in the kiln.  Heard stories of metal buildings dissolving from the tannins in the condensate, though i assume you would be sealing, but it would still make me worried.  I think they try to even keep metal fasteners to a minimum as i recall.  I ended up w/ foil faced insulation and some plastic liner inside mine.  Its really cheap and kinda sucky, but you can patch it up with tape!  The floors are wood floors in my barn and they really get a lot of water condensing on them, and dripping.  This isn't good for the long term.  Probably have to build another one outside, though i am thinking of pouring cement on the floor with a center drain and vapor barriers.  Though my barn floor is sagging and getting over loaded as is.  makes me worried about the crappy cobble stone foundation.
KP

scsmith42

One problem with metal walls inside a kiln is that moisture will condense upon it, increasing your drying rate (potentially more than you want).

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

I skinned the interior walls of my kiln w/ galvanized metal. No issues yet except at the main door wear points (where my hardware pulls them tight) and at the man door scuff points. You could plywood it and then look for some recycled aluminum roofing (some barns used it).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

brdmkr

ironwood, how long have you been running the kiln with the galvanized skin?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Radar67

You know, pineywoods has been using galvanized roofing inside his solar kilns (as a heat collector). I didn't see any signs of deterioration when we were checking them over a while back. Maybe he can tell us how long the metal has been in his kilns.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ironwood

I built it, maybe 7-8 years ago. I dont run it non stop, but it gets some fair use. Sorry I looked, no pics in my files.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!