iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan Volcano

Started by metalspinner, January 30, 2009, 11:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Is this in your neighborhood, Warbird?

Sounds like quite a show is in store for you guys.  How do the locals really prepare for something like this?

Monitoring earthquakes underneath the 10,200-foot Redoubt Volcano about 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory warned that an eruption was imminent

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?ps=1011&rip_id=%3CD961DFDO0%40news.ap.org%3E&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Warbird

That's quite a ways south of where I live now.  When it blew in '89 I lived in Kenai, though, and Redoubt is in Kenai's backyard.  The amount of ash was hard to deal with.

As for how to deal with it, when it does actually erupt, you have to shut down all non-essential equipment.  The ash is very hard on people, equipment, and pretty much anything that moves.

Anyhow, my network has been loaded with people viewing the AVO website (Alaskan Volcano Observatory).  http://avo.alaska.edu

Jeff

Are the webcams down, or is it simply the darkness of your winter?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

It isn't dark right now so the cams must be down.  They may have taken them down due to the excessive load.  Not sure.  I'll make a couple of phone calls.  ;)

Warbird

Welp, Mt Redoubt blew last night.  5 eruptions, so far.  Ash cloud estimated to be ~50,000 feet high.  Glad we made it back into town before it went.

Tom

Keep us informed. I hope you don't suffer from the aftermath too much.

Warbird

It is unlikely much, if any, ash will make it this far north.  Anchorage looks to get a little bit but they are lucking out with the prevailing winds blowing away from the city.  Power in Kenai & Homer went down ~30 minutes ago.  Prolly won't be back up for some time.  We're moving some network gear around to try and keep info flowing.

clif

Well, I can give you a  first hand report here on the Kenai.  And the report is there is nothing to report.  Our Elec was out a couple hours this morning , but we are being told that it was not volcano related just a transmission line down between here and Anchorage.  We have several volcanos in our general area, they are all across the inlet from us. Spur is the close one and then Redoubt  a little farther south and then Illiamna ( my spell checker does not like the spelling, But I think it is right)even farther south.  Usually our wind comes out of the SE which blows up the inlet and just west of Anc up the Susitna Valley and on towards Denali.  The ash plume is usually our only concern since the volcanos are approximately 40-60-75 miles away and across the inlet, however the ash can be a big problem for us if the wind is right..   Most Alaskans are use to these type of things and know it does not do any good to complain instead we just "hunker down" and then deal with it after wards.  Actually mother nature is the one to clean it up with rain or snow or such.  Most of Alaska is like one huge community and we do not wish harm on the rest of our community and do what we can to help other members that need help.   The only time I have been near the volcanos is when we go halibut fishing and then sitting in a boat under the majesty of those volcanos catching fish is an awesome experience.   A little tug on your bait down 100 - 200 feet and at first you have no idea if it is a 20 # "chicken "  or  100-200-300 + # " barn door"  ( that is what they look like as  you crank them up through that crystal clear water.     Can you tell I am ready to go fishing ?? 8)  Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Warbird

Glad to hear you guys don't look to get 'ashed' too bad.  Were you there back in '89?  I was in Soldotna at the time and we got the ash real bad.

Warbird

Hey clif, I saw on the news this morning that Redoubt erupted again last night.  The wind still blowing right and you guys not getting any ash?

clif

I have lived down here since 83.  One of those blow outs dumped a lot of ash on Soldotna kind of like a fog bank rolling in  only thicker and a lot darker. As I recall, it rained a day or two after that and washed most of it away. Still no ash here I have not heard where it is going this morning.

Warbird

Yeah, I remember the sky during an eruption...  it was almost like nighttime at high noon.  I also remember going home for Christmas and leaving my car parked at the airport.  It erupted more while I was gone and snowed in between.  When I got back and brushed off the car, there were layers of ash, then snow, then more ash.

asy

That's just amazing Warbird!!!

I can NOT wait to get to Alaska...  One day... And you BETTER BELIEVE I'm comin' to find ya!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Fla._Deadheader

You better start taking Mushing lessons, Asy.  Warbird is in a spot where you can't get there from where you are ???  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Warbird

Give us 1 month notice so we can add on to the igloo so you have a place to stay.  ;D

The news tonight said we may actually get some ash here in Fairbanks, soon.  Because the plume went so high, they were saying it'll be falling for months, potentially all over the state.  No one has said this yet but I am wondering if all the ash in the atmosphere will cause a cooling down and make for a cooler than normal summer up here?

asy

No worries, there will be plenty of notice...  It's going to take me YEARS to save up!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

LAZERDAN

Warbird   I read the paper at lunch @ work everyday .  I notice and read the world weather temps. Is Fairbanks the coldest place on the planet? Or what , it sure seem that way.    Lazer

Warbird

Nope, it's not the coldest place on the planet but it sure feels that way sometimes.  Combined with the long hours of darkness, it can get to a person after a while.  Up here, we call it "cabin fever".

Warbird

Redoubt is erupting again.  Webcam pics here: http://avo.alaska.edu/

Warbird

Wow, this one is a big eruption:

QuoteVolcanic Activity Summary: A large eruption of Redoubt volcano began at roughly 09:24 AKDT (17:24 UTC). National Weather Service reports the cloud height to be at least 65,000 ft above sea level.

Refer to the NWS Redoubt Coordination web page (http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/volcano.php) for latest cloud information.

Based on the current models for the prevailing winds, it is anticipated that this will have some affect on travel by air.

Warbird

metalspinner

Wow!  Those last pictures are amazing!  I'm glad to hear all is OK there. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

clif

Yep, That's where we like to go over close by halibut fishing!!!! :D

Warbird

Here is the latest:

QuoteREDOUBT VOLCANO

Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE
Current Volcano Alert Level: WATCH

The 2009 eruption of Redoubt Volcano continues. Satellite and other evidence indicate a lava dome is growing in the summit crater. Additional explosive activity is possible with little warning. The aviation color code remains ORANGE and the alert level WATCH. AVO continues to monitor the situation closely and the observatory is staffed 24/7.

Seismicity at the volcano has remained relatively steady following the last explosion on the morning of April 4 with small repetitive volcanic earthquakes dominating the signal. A continuous plume of volcanic gas, water vapor, and variable but small amounts of ash is being emitted from the vent. The resulting cloud is rising to variable altitudes over the volcano, but mostly less than 15,000 feet above sea level. Pilots have reported occasional sulfur smells downwind of the volcano.

Weather has prevented additional AVO overflights most of the week.

Based on its past activity, the current Redoubt eruption is expected to continue for weeks to months. During this time, a cycle of relatively quiet periods of lava dome growth followed by explosive episodes of dome destruction will likely take place. Future explosions pose an ongoing threat of lahars in the Drift River Valley, trace to minor ash fall throughout south-central Alaska, and ash-related impacts to aviation.

moonhill

It doesn't sound like the Fat Lady has sung yet.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!